PDA

View Full Version : chinese new year

clumpcat
30-01-2011, 12:15 PM
leaving it late i know but any ideas for chinese new year activities??? its the year of the rabbit i think.
xxx

mufftie
30-01-2011, 12:27 PM
somebody on this site suggested twinle.co.uk ive been down loading of there is fab but can take its time downloading

ChocolateChip
30-01-2011, 03:49 PM
There are a good few links in the activities section.
So far I have printed of their names in Chinese, the story of the zodiac, the animal masks (although have also got some bits from Baker Ross ), the desription of each animal and the table which tells you which year is which.
Am planning on them making a paper plate display painted red and gold with their name and animal on to take home, decorate some lanterns, make dragon masks, look at some chinese writing, find pictures of chinese clothes, do some dragon dances or lion dances, making drum music, firework pictures, learn a few words courtesy of Kai-lan!
Have bought some fortune cookies, we will eat chicken fried rice, prawn crackers, noodles (you mustn't cut them, their length symbolises long life) and lychees at some point, and try some chopsticks if I can get some!
Might get the older ones to write wishes that they would put in a fortune cookie, and think there was a website where they can make their own greeting in Chinese, but forgotten what's it called, sorry!

Pauline
30-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I've added a Rabbit made from paper plates to the You Tube activities recently:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChildmindingHelp

Quick and easy to make, not just for Chinese New Year but anytime. :)

It's a small world
30-01-2011, 05:05 PM
We are having a chinese buffet, chinese colouring, Chinese hats out of paper plates and children will decorate them .Made rabbit puppets for children to day features, done each childs name in chinese too

auntym
30-01-2011, 05:59 PM
we are doing a buffet :) prawn crackers, noodles, and rice etc and then will get afew crafty ideas, for burns night with cut out bagpipes and stuck different coloured paper on and then with crayons designed our own tartan patterns ha

clumpcat
30-01-2011, 07:04 PM
great ideas everyone! how do i put the childrens names into chinese??
xx

pinkbutterfly
30-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I bought a Chinese sky lantern and we are (I am) going to lit it and watch it fly away.
I haven't considered getting the names in Chinese ... off to google it ...

mushpea
30-01-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.free-chinese-names.com/index.php?user=remy&submit=Create

hope the link works,,, they translate names in to chinese writing with the name under neath

maisiemog
31-01-2011, 10:20 AM
We're having chinese food for tea, are decorating lamps and I might get the older ones to paint their names in chinese calligraphy. It's also one of my Mindees bdays so I think that will probably end up taking up more of the day than chinese new year.

JCrakers
31-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I printed out a chinese dragon head for the little ones to colour, then we glued some colourd tissue paper steamers to the back of it, glued it on a lolly stick and finished. Did that just after lunch and will do something different on Weds :)

Becky x

francinejayne
31-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I've added a Rabbit made from paper plates to the You Tube activities recently:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChildmindingHelp

Quick and easy to make, not just for Chinese New Year but anytime. :)

Aren't you the clever one, love the little 'video' thing that you've done! :clapping:

Pauline
31-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Aren't you the clever one, love the little 'video' thing that you've done! :clapping:

Thank you Francine :D more to come when I get some more of that thing called time! :rolleyes:

arly
31-01-2011, 07:05 PM
great link to the chinese names....kids loved it and my own 6 yr old son came up with the great idea of printing their names out and putting it under their scratch art dragons :clapping:

CAZMCA
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
We're having chinese food for tea, are decorating lamps and I might get the older ones to paint their names in chinese calligraphy. It's also one of my Mindees bdays so I think that will probably end up taking up more of the day than chinese new year.

dont forget that chinese new year is for 15 days hun x