PDA

View Full Version : Daffodils for dummies ....

pinkbutterfly
30-01-2011, 03:05 AM
I do not have green fingers unfortunately and anything that I try to grow on the windowsill dies quickly. I thought I am going to make an effort this time ...
I thought I could grow daffodils with the children to give to their mums for mother's day. I like crafts and already found suitable flowerpots that we can personalise so each mum gets a special pot decorated by their child. The bit I am weary about is the growing of the daffodils. When should we plant them in order for them to be ready for mother's day and how easy/difficult it is to care for them?
I thought children will like caring for their plant and watching it grow. I might even enjoy it myself ...

Mrs Pootle
30-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi, I'm doing this with my mindees aswell.

If like me you've got the bulbs and they are sprouting already in the packet, then they need planting asap. As Mothers Day isn't until April this year, I am planting the bulb deeper than I usually do to slow down it's growth.

If you keep them indoors they will grow quicker than outside, but I wouldn't put them on too sunny a windowsill as they might grow too fast and have flowered already before Mothers Day even gets here.
Enjoy your planting :)

kel1983
30-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I got the children to plant some balbs lst week. Hopefully to take home for mothers day. They really enjoyed it. I have got them to stick there names on a piece of card which they have stuck on their very own pots. Im gonna get them to water them and take care of them and keep a diary of their growth with photos.

I just hope they grow now :panic:

pinkbutterfly
30-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you Mrs Pootle for hints. I will put them deeper and leave outside. :) Can't wait!

LittleStar's
30-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Ahh , What a lovely idea! We might try this too... hope you don't mind :D

maisiemog
31-01-2011, 10:26 AM
What a brilliant idea!!! Might take a trip to the garden centre tomorrow for daffodil bulbs...sure that will be popular as it has soft play and an aquarium there as well so mindees will love it too!!!

You could also use it to do something for st davids day as well as they are welsh. not sure what but still!!