PDA

View Full Version : Hitting

pinkbutterfly
30-01-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure I'm handling things correctly. Any thoughts appreciated...
Yesterday was just a nightmare ... I had my 2 LOs (3 yo and 16mo)and a mindee (20mo). The whole day just seemed like one big scream (I can still hear it in my head). The mindee suddenly developed the need to hit. He goes round and just hits for no reason. My 3 yo knows better and moves away or ignores this. My LO gets upset and cries and this sets off the mindee as well so I have two of them crying together. I noticed that since last week my LO (similar age to the mindee) adapted hitting too. If I comfort one the other one comes and pushes him away or hits again. I have not had that before with my other children (I don't know but maybe it's because I've had girls?). Distraction works for a short period of time ... I get them interested in something they play nicely but then suddenly it's back to square one with hitting and crying. I of course catch the hand most of the time, say firmly 'no' but they both try again until they succeed. What am I doing wrong?

sarah707
30-01-2011, 09:38 AM
You're not doing anything wrong... it can just take a few weeks for the message to get home depending on the age / stage of the child and the back up you are getting from home.

Use positive words ... we use our hands to play ... we have kind hands here etc.

Share what you are saying with parents and explain that if they use the same words the child will come through the stage quicker.

Write a RA for the child detailing what is happening and what you are doing to support him/her because if the child hits another when you are out and about or if a complaint is made that you are not handling the behaviour you will then have evidence.

Hth :D

Ripeberry
30-01-2011, 11:37 AM
They both want your full attention and don't like it when someone else is getting it. Normal, but should settle down...hopefully.