PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad idea?

fieryleo1984
29-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Just reposting here as had lots of people look but no replys so hopefully someone can help? x

Morning everyone? Hope your all well. I had a call from ofsted yesterday to say they had recieved my forms and all was well and that i should recieve a invoice for payment in about a week..is that good news?

Anyway at present i work 3 days a week (weds-fri) and my mum thinks it would be a good idea to childmind monday and tuesday to start off with incase I dont like it! She also suggested working on a saturday..my partner works so its not like I normally have a family day this day. I didnt fill on my ofsted form to work weekends..could this be changed?

Do you think this is a good idea? I wasnt planning on leaving my current job untill i had mindees set up anyway.

Thanks Em xx

sarah707
29-01-2011, 04:37 PM
It doesn't make any difference when you work / don't work to Ofsted.

I would say it depends on the children who arrive at your door after you have advertised!

Some parents want full time, some want part time - some are flexible and some are not.

If you find yourself turning work away because they don't suit your days / hours then you might have to re-think.

Hth :D

The Juggler
29-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Just reposting here as had lots of people look but no replys so hopefully someone can help? x

Morning everyone? Hope your all well. I had a call from ofsted yesterday to say they had recieved my forms and all was well and that i should recieve a invoice for payment in about a week..is that good news? that means they will invoice you for your registration so your cert. should be on the way shortly after :clapping: :clapping:

Anyway at present i work 3 days a week (weds-fri) and my mum thinks it would be a good idea to childmind monday and tuesday to start off with incase I dont like it! She also suggested working on a saturday..my partner works so its not like I normally have a family day this day. I didnt fill on my ofsted form to work weekends..could this be changed?
sounds like a good plan if Mon/Tues work comes up although if 4 days a week or full time work comes up then I'd not turn it away. You have obviously decided to give up your job to childmind so you can always go back to work in another job. What I did was wait until I had a contract, explained to new mum I was having to hand in my notice so it'd be 4 weeks. I took and cashed a months deposit from her then handed in my notice and held my breath and the children, came, I started and that was 6 years ago! Sure you wil be fine. The other thing is you might find CM plus your 3 day week job quite tiring but it is a good way to find out.

Do you think this is a good idea? I wasnt planning on leaving my current job untill i had mindees set up anyway.

Thanks Em xx

Hope that helps a bit.

Roseolivia
29-01-2011, 04:56 PM
You may find working weekends as well as through the week is too much and that you have no time to yourself. Do you have your own children? I like to spend the weekend with my kids and partner rather than other peoples kids but everyone has their own opinions on this subject.

fieryleo1984
29-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks ladies xxx

I have a 1 year old and my partner works weekends you see so im normally on my own.

I will wait to see what interest I get..hopefully some :-).

Im so looking forward to a change of career x

linda2girls
29-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't work weekends either - I'm absolutely exhausted by Friday and like weekends for family time. I've had 3 enquiries lately for weekend care, so there is obviously a demand if you're willing to do it.

Linda.

ChocolateChip
29-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Think you need to see what enquiries come along, and go from there. I wouldn't hang on to the old job if someone came along wanting full time hours. Maybe you could cut it down to one or two days as you get more business?
I know cm's who work in the week and then have a Saturday job but I don't know how they do it!
I have only done a couple of odd weekends to help out a parent, as I have had enough by Friday, and generally spend Saturdays trying to get on top of the washing, ironing, shopping, etc. not to mention my own kids wanting to do things.
If you think it's a gap in the market though it might be well worth doing, (make sure you charge extra for weekends) maybe keep a day off in the week to compensate.