PDA

View Full Version : Phonics

donnagwynne
18-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Yesterday I received a big fat phonics pack. Did anyone else??

It was from my local early years (Nottingham City) and is called;

Letters and Sounds: Principles and Practice of High Quality Phonics Phase One Teaching Programme
Published by the department for children, schools and families, and Part of the National Strategies Ref 00113-2008PCK-EN

Does anyone know anything about this??? There was no covering letter, training timetable or anything.

Do we have to implement this? What if the local schools use a different system? Will it be confusing? Will we get training? Will Ofsted be impressed if I am implementing it???

Anyone??????????:idea:

mrsbumbles
18-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow does this give us guidance how to teach phonics correctly?

Schools would have children go in not knowing any of their letters rather than being taught incorrectly and having to re-teach them!

sarah707
18-04-2008, 01:44 PM
It's a national thing, everyone including schools are going to be using it...

It contains lots of good advice for activities... :D

Teresa
18-04-2008, 01:47 PM
i got one in the post too donna i am baffled too, i have got a early years team coming on the 1st going to ask her about it.:idea:

tulip0803
18-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Although I am in Wales I ordered one free on the DFES website along with the last published foundation stage document. The more info I have the better. It's a good reference pack.:)

ma7ie
18-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I ordered one ages ago. Just not got round to looking at it yet.:blush:

fionamal
18-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I got one a few months ago as I thought it would be handy to have for my inspection.

I use it onthe kids that are at nursery as they have just started to impement Phonics there as well.

Heaven Scent
18-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I got it with a different reference - I'm passionate about phonics and am very fussy about how its taught any queries you can come to me and I will do my best to try to help you. What ever you do please don't pronounce the letter sounds with a 'uh' sound after it eg.

cat is c - a - t and not cuh - a - tuh the only letter that has an u sound is U and that is not uh it a short u the best way to get it right is to almost whisper each sound - I hope that makes sense to you if you do this nobody can find fault with what you do try to stick to 3 letter words that you can sound out using these sounds

eg. cat dog hop map there are a lot of these but there are lots that dont use these sounds be careful. - I cant think of any at the moment because my brain is trained to hear for the pure phonic words I find it hard to think of the others I will try to think of some soon and let you know about them.

sarah707
18-04-2008, 02:38 PM
What annoys me is when I hear people thinking they're doing phonics with children and going... Cee Aay Tee is cat...

Errrr no! It's nowhere near and doesn't sound anything like it to an adult, never mind a child!!

Years ago, Celine, when I was teaching I had a big phonics debate and said it was the way to go... then of course they decided it was too prescriptive and ended up with a generation of children who couldn't hardly work out sounds in words! I felt so vindicated with the Rose report! :D

Tatia
18-04-2008, 03:12 PM
My daughter has several Leapfrog toys (Fridge Phonics and Word Whammer) as well as two DVDs (Letter Factory and Word Factory) and after watching the DVDs a few times, she is sounding out words based purely on phonics. Most 3 letter workds pose no challenge to her now and she's only 3. My son (now nearly 21) was taught phonetically and his journals would be pictures he had drawn and his best attempts at phonetically spelling what was going on in picture (like if he drew a cat on a pole it would be something like KT N U PL).

Can we order this phonics pack from somewhere?

Tatia
18-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Five copies have been sent directly to all primary, infant and junior schools as well as middle deemed primary schools. If you work in a Private, Voluntary and Independent (PVI) setting your local authority will be responsibe for ordering and distributing copies of the new materials. You will need to contact your local early years advisory service for details of how they will be arranging distribution. Further copies can be ordered through Prolog from June 2007 onwards.

From here: http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/publications/literacy/letters_sounds/

I know we've had training on tihs loclly which I couldn't attend but I'll have to chase up the packs.

crazybones
18-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I have been sent this but never had time to look at it. Will dig it out now. :D

Tatia
18-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Never mind. Just ordered three packs, one for me and 2 minder friends. Here's the details if you want one.

Where can I get it?

Ref: 00281-2007FLR-EN

Please contact:
DCSF Publications Centre
PO Box 5050, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ

Tel: 0845 60 222 60
Fax: 0845 60 333 60
Textphone: 0845 60 555 60
Email: dcsf@prolog.uk.com

donnagwynne
18-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, it comes with a DVD which should give me a better idea about how the pure sounds sound. If you see what I mean.

There are lots of ideas in the booklet as well as some others that I have seen. I think that I will start with a simple phonics basket and put lots of things in that begin with the same sound. Once I have practised the sounds of course!!!

Cammie Doodle
20-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Has anyone got an opinion on Jolly Phonics ?

avril
20-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Jolly phonics is how my son is taught his letters and sounds in school, I have the cd of songs and play them in the car, they are quite catchy and even my 2yr old sings them!!:D

Avril x

miffy
20-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Never mind. Just ordered three packs, one for me and 2 minder friends. Here's the details if you want one.

Where can I get it?

Ref: 00281-2007FLR-EN

Please contact:
DCSF Publications Centre
PO Box 5050, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ

Tel: 0845 60 222 60
Fax: 0845 60 333 60
Textphone: 0845 60 555 60
Email: dcsf@prolog.uk.com

Thanks Tatia

I haven't been sent one yet so probably better do it myself

miffy xx

Heaven Scent
20-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Jolly phonics is good - I've used it a lot.