PDA

View Full Version : Ikea

sillysausage
28-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Right folks, I'm off to Ikea this weekend to get some of the trofast shelves/storage stuff. In addition I have given myself a budget of £100 to spend on other stuff (ie resources for childminding). So........what would you recommend? what wouldn't you be able to live without in your setting?
It's a long time since I've been as the nearest store is quite a distance away.

WibbleWobble
28-01-2011, 07:20 PM
ikea kitchen!!!! toy one of course.

mandy xxx

Playmate
28-01-2011, 07:31 PM
ikea kitchen!!!! toy one of course.

mandy xxx

oooooow I like that :) wish our fisher price one would fall to bits :rolleyes:

We have a crocodile full length mirror which the littlies love looking at themselves in :D

pinklady
28-01-2011, 07:50 PM
The fabric play food is good and I love my paper roll http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10149350
saves endless bits of paper and the children just go to it whenever they feel like drawing which means you end up with art work that all the children have contributed to!

georgie456
28-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Quick recommendation if you're interested. We recently went to Ikea to buy the Trofast stuff but ended up getting 2 of these these instead:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20135300

They are SO cheap (half the price they were last year!) and we got black fabric boxes to go in them for £3.00 each - it is unbelievable how much stuff fits in each box!!!! The picture gives you no sense of persepective but they are quite large units. We are off again soon to get more for the kids rooms!

aly
28-01-2011, 07:57 PM
The fabric play food is good
Yes I fully recommend the pay food, 1 is veg, the other is fruit and then there is an english breakfast onne....my little mindee loves it}

Quick recommendation if you're interested. We recently went to Ikea to buy the Trofast stuff but ended up getting 2 of these these instead:

They are SO cheap (half the price they were last year!) and we got black fabric boxes to go in them for £3.00 each - it is unbelievable how much stuff fits in each box!!!! The picture gives you no sense of persepective but they are quite large units. We are off again soon to get more for the kids rooms!
I recommend these to anyone, whoever comes into the house or on forums, they are so fab, and the fabric zipped boxes are fab too.

the boys have a 5x5 one in their room, pop has a 2x4 in her room and i have 2 2x4 in living room.

:thumbsup:

georgie456
28-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes I fully recommend the pay food, 1 is veg, the other is fruit and then there is an english breakfast onne....my little mindee loves it}

I recommend these to anyone, whoever comes into the house or on forums, they are so fab, and the fabric zipped boxes are fab too.

the boys have a 5x5 one in their room, pop has a 2x4 in her room and i have 2 2x4 in living room.

:thumbsup:

We did get some of the zipped boxes too but have put them elsewhere - they are fab boxes - very sturdy and robust!

Chimps Childminding
28-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I have been looking at the 2x2 Expedit units to use as bedside tables in my son's room. Thought of putting 2 boxes in each to hide some of his clutter and something nice on display in the other holes!!! Much cheaper than bedside tables, and hold a lot more too!!!

georgie456
28-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I have been looking at the 2x2 Expedit units to use as bedside tables in my son's room. Thought of putting 2 boxes in each to hide some of his clutter and something nice on display in the other holes!!! Much cheaper than bedside tables, and hold a lot more too!!!

That's what my sis in law did for her two girls. She was the one that made us buy ours! They make great bedside tables!

Trouble
28-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I need to come i love ikea!

Zoomie
28-01-2011, 09:27 PM
just one word of advice, if you don't already know, is to check stock levels before you travel.

think you have to log in (or register) and select store on the ikea website and it will give you probability of stock being available. also helps you know exactly where to locate all the pieces :)

snufflepuff
28-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree, the expedit units are fab. Really sturdy and stylish, and the boxes hold loads. We have a 4x4 unit in the lounge and the huge 5x5 unit in DS's room. I want one for the hallway next, lol!

We have the fabric fruit and veg, great stuff. They also have a fabric farm, animals, tractor etc that all goes together- i'd have got it if DS hadn't just got a wooden farm set for Christmas. Little packs of finger puppets too. And would love the little kitchen but we already have a plastic one.

Oooh I do love ikea! Have fun!

Trouble
28-01-2011, 09:30 PM
I agree, the expedit units are fab. Really sturdy and stylish, and the boxes hold loads. We have a 4x4 unit in the lounge and the huge 5x5 unit in DS's room. I want one for the hallway next, lol!

We have the fabric fruit and veg, great stuff. They also have a fabric farm, animals, tractor etc that all goes together- i'd have got it if DS hadn't just got a wooden farm set for Christmas. Little packs of finger puppets too. And would love the little kitchen but we already have a plastic one.

Oooh I do love ikea! Have fun!

not listerning lalalalalala
:(

LittleStar's
28-01-2011, 10:33 PM
We have those units too, we have the 4x4 one and have 4 of the zipped boxes across the bottom, then we have the rest as shelving so the kids can get to everything easily.

They have cute little pans in there too , they look just like the real things!
And we also got our car/road mat from Ikea , the boys love it!

And the Easel is good value too ! The list is endless!!!!

I want to go to Ikea now ! :D

CAZMCA
28-01-2011, 10:46 PM

i've got these too and ofsted commented that the boxes were great as no sharp corners.....

the thing i love the most from ikea is my gaston http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60166752 although mine is filled with beans from dunelm mill to make it more comfy to sit on :D

phoebe-alice
28-01-2011, 11:08 PM
I just had a look at the soft foods on the website they look great!
Now I just wish I had a playroom so I could get a playhouse as that would be brilliant. :(
My own house would be a start though haha, very appreciative over the space my parents allow me to use though.
Hope one day me and my partner can have our own place though, then I can hoard all the toys I like. :blush:

miffy
28-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Don't come home without an igloo

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20072454

Miffy xx

Trouble
28-01-2011, 11:34 PM
your really making me want to go now
:( :(

catlyn
29-01-2011, 12:10 AM
hand puppets!!! I got a pig, cow, elephant,shark and a monkey...fab!!! at around £3 each

Roseolivia
29-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Plastic bowls, plates, cups and cutlery. Baskets are good for either storage or as treasure baskets. Large car mat, the list goes on. I always spend more than i need.

keeks
29-01-2011, 07:13 AM
I love the doll's bed and the play kitchen with all the utensils being miniatures of real ones.

I also can't live without these for my babies. I wash them with the rest of the washing up and they are dry for the next meal, then put them in the washing machine once a week. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70179754

I just love everything at Ikea, I grew up next to one and everyone's house was furnished with all their stuff in the 70's and 80's.

xx

Doofuz
29-01-2011, 07:14 AM
I am going next weekend. I can't wait. I know I want puppets, the fabric food and some furniture, was going to get the LACK bookshelf but it is so expensive compared to those cheaper units, it might have to be those instead. ;)

Will really have to rein myself in - not registered yet...but I could spend all day buying toys :clapping:

sweets
29-01-2011, 08:46 AM
ive got the 5x5 rxpedit in my dining room thats stores a lot of my toys, the rest are stored in a shed outside and rotated.

i have the branas baskets from ikea in the bottom row but they are £10 each which i think is a bit steep but they are very strong and fit perfectly.

i recently found these at matalan tho, they fit nicely and add a bit of colour, i have the green ones, they do them in red and cream too, very easy to lift out to give access to toys and because they dont fit the complete square of the unit the children can see whatshttp://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online//Purple-Circles-Paper-Tray/29726&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand in each basket!

kel1983
29-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I just had a look at the soft foods on the website they look great!
Now I just wish I had a playroom so I could get a playhouse as that would be brilliant. :(
My own house would be a start though haha, very appreciative over the space my parents allow me to use though.
Hope one day me and my partner can have our own place though, then I can hoard all the toys I like. :blush:

I have the same problem. I live with my parents so am very limited to what I can have.

This thread makes me want to o and spend all of this month pay in Ikea. :clapping: I <3 Ikea

sillysausage
29-01-2011, 01:34 PM
the thing i love the most from ikea is my sagosten http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60166752 although mine is filled with beans from dunelm mill to make it more comfy to sit on

This looks good...how does it air fill though?

I couldn't justify their kitchen as I already have 2 (an ELC and a little tikes), one indoor and one outdoor. I might get some food though as mine is all plastic and I am trying to get away from lots of plastic stuff.

I may have to consider the expedit stuff....will need to look at dimensions etc to see what will best fit

thanks everyone

Newbie1!
29-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Do any of you expedit ladies happen to have a photo of your set up you'd care to share?!? Or could you tell us what boxes you use in them pls xxx

sweets
29-01-2011, 04:16 PM
ooh ive never attempted to put a photo on here but i will give it a go! lol.

may be a while tho :laughing:

sweets
29-01-2011, 04:22 PM
sorry but cant work out how to do it!!:(

anyone know?

Newbie1!
29-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Havent a clue!! Pauline..........Sarah...............HELP!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sweets
29-01-2011, 04:46 PM
ok second attempt with help from sarah!

Newbie1!
29-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Fabulous!! Thank you Sweets, will show the DH - I think your very nice organised system may swing him to let me invest!! I could do with a 3x3 one tho - typical the only size they dont do!!xx

sarah707
29-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Well done you with the photo!

That is a lovely system from Ikea I really like it!

You are very tidy :D