PDA

View Full Version : Other children's names mentioned

cherry
28-01-2011, 03:06 PM
in daily diaries.

This was mentioned in another thread where a childminder was told not to use other childrens names when writing their daily diary.

I spoke to my network coordinator who contacted Ofsted, this is their reply

I have just spoken to Ofsted regarding putting names of other children in diaries. Their view is as follows;

As long as you are not putting anything other than first names in the diary or anything personal that is protected under the Data Protection Act then it is ok to add the children's names into the diaries. She did say it could be something that you asked the parents if they minded and if they were happy, to ask them to sign a permission slip. The only exception to this would if you were caring for a child who was under special protection from Social Services, then you would not be able to include them.

Hope this helps

Dragonfly
28-01-2011, 03:14 PM
That is what I thought . thank you for that.

Mouse
28-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have always named other children in daily diaries. Parents like to know who their child has been playing with and what they've been doing. It's in my list of permissions that children can be named in diaries. They just wouldn't read the same if I had to refer to friends as X or Y :rolleyes:

Mookins
28-01-2011, 04:08 PM
gosh:eek: i never even thought about that...ive only ever put mindees first names but it never even crossed my mind:(

xx

miffy
28-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks Cherry for clarifying that - most parents would not even give it a thought, they like to know who their child has been playing with.

Miffy xx

mrs_scottydog
28-01-2011, 04:47 PM
That's not something I'd thought of! Not really an issue at the moment as I only have the one mindee so it's only my DS's name that goes in sometimes. Thanks for the info. Hx

AliceK
28-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. Up until now I will write my own childrens names in mindees diaries but for any other child I have been putting in just the initial. The parents know who it relates to anyway as they know who else is around or might be visiting.

xxxx

green puppy
28-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I have a permission slip signed stating that parents are happy for their child to be in pictures with other mindees that may be used for daily diaries and learning journeys aswell.

claire'scherubs
28-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. Up until now I will write my own childrens names in mindees diaries but for any other child I have been putting in just the initial. The parents know who it relates to anyway as they know who else is around or might be visiting.

xxxx

Thats what I do

rickysmiths
28-01-2011, 06:46 PM

xxxx

This is what I do.

Playmate
28-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Glad to hear Ofsted are actually speaking some common sence for a change :D Thank you for claryifying.

flowerpots
28-01-2011, 07:51 PM
thankyou for clarifying this, i have always put mindees names in daily diaries but read the other thread and did wonder if i was going to be pulled up on it at some point. :)

georgie456
28-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have always named other children in daily diaries. Parents like to know who their child has been playing with and what they've been doing. It's in my list of permissions that children can be named in diaries. They just wouldn't read the same if I had to refer to friends as X or Y :rolleyes:

I agree. I have always used other children's first names as they are the mindees friends! They talk about them at home so it is nice for the parent's to make a link.

Chimps Childminding
28-01-2011, 09:04 PM
To be honest most parents know which children you have on the same day as theirs, so it makes no sense not to put their names :rolleyes: