PDA

View Full Version : When would you give notice???

MissTinkerbell
28-01-2011, 02:26 PM
As you know we are moving to Bristol with DH's job soon but as yet I have no idea when. DH is due to start his new posting on 18th April so he definitely needs to be down there by then.

However, although we have put our application in for a quarter, we have heard that the quarter situation is that they are somewhat in short supply so it could mean DH going down on his own and myself and the children staying here until one becomes available.

Now I know that according to my contracts we have agreed on 4 weeks notice of end of contract for both sides, so I don't have to do anything yet. However the parents I have I also consider to be friends and feel that I should say something sooner, rather than waiting until we get a notification of a quarter and a moving date. If we get a quarter immediately we will move on 11th April so I will need to give notice the latest at the beginning of March.

However it could also be that myself and the children are still here in June and then we wouldn't move until the summer holidays.

At the moment I don't want to give notice until I definitely know when we are going because I could technically be here for another 5 months and don't want to go 5 months without any income. Also if notification of a quarter comes after DH has started his new posting it will probably only be a couple of weeks before we would move unless its less than 4 weeks from the end of the school year when I can delay until the holidays. Then I wouldn't be able to give 4 weeks notice.

However I also feel that because childminding spaces (and childminders - a lot are being posted elsewhere) are in short supply I would like to give the parents as much notice so they can find somewhere else.

The problem will arise if we don't get a notification of a quarter before DH is due to go. What would you do? Trouble is I sit here feeling guilty knowing that we are moving and I haven't said anything yet, albeit that I have no idea yet when. I guess I will need to say something by March anyway as DH will be going over the Easter Holidays and I will need to explain his absence somehow:rolleyes: .......hopefully though we will also be gone by then:jump for joy:

Bridey
28-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh dear! It would be easier to answer if you'd asked us how long a piece of string was! ;)

MissTinkerbell
28-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh dear! It would be easier to answer if you'd asked us how long a piece of string was! ;)

:laughing: It is a bit like that isn't it? So you can see why I'm in such a dilemma:rolleyes:

grindal
28-01-2011, 05:36 PM
If you have become friends with the family would you consider explaining the situation to them? Could you keep them informed of what is going on - or do you think Mum would go and look for someone else

gegele
28-01-2011, 06:24 PM
you could just say in conversation that your hubby MIGHT be transfered soon.

i would also look around for childminder who could replace you, maybe found the best solution for each family

if you have found a back up plan for all of them i would be up front with family before end of february.

if they agree to your back up plan then you can start introducing the children and make the "passover" more smooth.

if you can't find solution maybe you could say you'll have to give notice in march so from 11th april you're free agent but you're happy to work until they found solution or you move which ever comes first.

good luck:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
28-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Are the families you mind for all RAF families like you? If another quater is found in Bristol before the summer holidays would you be able to move after four weeks, would the RAF let you stay the extra couple of weeks in the light of your predicament?

Are you able to put feelers out in terms of finding alternative care for your mindees so if you have to give less than the 4 weeks at least you have found care for them?

As far as your dh going away, this is what happens in the Forces. Non-Forces parents need not know the detail surely? Your only worry may be any Forces parents who know the job dh does and the possible implications of his departure.

Does that all make sense? I'm intrigued though, my Dad was RAF and his last posting at his request (1965 lol) was to a Station just outside Bath, it is no longer there. i know a number of places in the area but didn't know there were any in Bristol. I envy you though my father moved to Kent 14yrs ago to be near my sister and I do miss my weekends in Bath. The whole area is lovely.

karen m
28-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I am moving in march so gave notice on the 14 of this month with the understanding that i would carry on minding IF needed until the end of Febuary i also recomended another minder and they looked at a couple i did not no,eventually went with the 1 i recomended,now i will have a couple of weeks freetime to spend with my family before the move:clapping:

MissTinkerbell
31-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Are the families you mind for all RAF families like you? If another quater is found in Bristol before the summer holidays would you be able to move after four weeks, would the RAF let you stay the extra couple of weeks in the light of your predicament?

If a quarter becomes available and its around 28 days until the end of the school term/year they will let you stop so know we are definitely here until at least April 11th. I'm hoping we hear shortly as to whether there are any quarters -once I know I will say something - either give notice or say that we've been posted but not sure when me and the children are going and I will look after them as long as I can. Not sure if they would take into account my job but perhaps they would??? Will have to get DH to find out - that would certainly ease the situation somewhat.

Are you able to put feelers out in terms of finding alternative care for your mindees so if you have to give less than the 4 weeks at least you have found care for them?

I've been trying to find another CM but its just so hard around here at the moment - with the scrapping of the Harrier so many people are being posted so there is a huge shortage of CMs. Our local Children's Centre is trying to start a recruitment drive its go that bad.

As far as your dh going away, this is what happens in the Forces. Non-Forces parents need not know the detail surely? Your only worry may be any Forces parents who know the job dh does and the possible implications of his departure.

Does that all make sense? I'm intrigued though, my Dad was RAF and his last posting at his request (1965 lol) was to a Station just outside Bath, it is no longer there. i know a number of places in the area but didn't know there were any in Bristol. I envy you though my father moved to Kent 14yrs ago to be near my sister and I do miss my weekends in Bath. The whole area is lovely.

There isn't a camp near Bristol. DH is going to work for Rolls Royce as liason between them and the RAF. All the quarters are PFI quarters and are shared with personnel from Abbeywood.

Its still an awful lot to think about - another headache to go along with moving, sorting out schools etc.!!