PDA

View Full Version : does this make me sound pushy?

levason
28-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone,

I was supposed to have a family visit this afternoon but they have cancelled due to the fact they thought I had to give 4 weeks notice on my current job although i told them at the time I'd probably be able to finish sooner.

I e-mailed them back thanking them for letting my know and saying that I would be able to finish my job sooner if needed so get in touch if they were still interested in a visit, I also phoned but it was engaged and went to the 1571 answerphone so I left a msg. Do I phone and try and speak to the family incase they don't realise I have tried to leave a message or just leave it?

Goatgirl
28-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi :),
I don't think that's too pushy and if there's some other reason they've changed their minds it wont matter anyway because you're unlikely to come across them again. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

It does happen alot though, that people don't want to use you after they've made contact, so don't take it personally. They often have trouble letting you know aswell, so I'd be happy they've at least done that. They could just feel embarrassed and feel they've let you down: maybe the reason they gave was more an excuse so they don't want to have to explain if you're offering a solution.

I'd personaly, probably give it one more go at ringing and be friendly and cheerful about it so they're left with a good impression: maybe they'll come back in the future or recommend you to a friend some time.... I'd say (to them or the answer machine), "although I'd have loved working with them and taking care of their LO, I understand how hard it is to hand their most precious thing over to someone else: it has to feel right for everyone. And wish them good luck finding what they're looking for :)"

...but hopefully its just concerns over dates and you may be able to allay them :thumbsup:

Best wishes,
Wendy

pinkbutterfly
28-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Hmmm I wouldn't mention that I'm working and need to give notice etc. I would just say I'm newly registered and tied up for 3 weeks if they asked when they can start. If they didn't ask I wouldn't have said anything. Next time try asking the parents first when they need the childcare to start and take it from there ... HTH

Bridey
28-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I would never tell prospective parents that I am giving anyone else notice in order to work for them. I think it would make them worry that they would be dropped for a higher paying job themselves in the future. I don't think they would want to use someone who might let them down in the future. I would just say that the place is available on from 'date'

mummyof3
28-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I would never tell prospective parents that I am giving anyone else notice in order to work for them. I think it would make them worry that they would be dropped for a higher paying job themselves in the future. I don't think they would want to use someone who might let them down in the future. I would just say that the place is available on from 'date'

She hasn't given anyone notice she is newly registered :)

I too would say place is available from 'date' as well. :D

manjay
28-01-2011, 02:31 PM

I don't think that is what the op is saying. To me it reads like she is employed at the moment.