PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an accredited childminder

anneriddington
27-01-2011, 12:02 PM
How many of you are accredited childminder, am thinkining of contacting co-ordinator to become accredited one of my parents has asked if i can claim government funded funding for her daughter when she turns three later this year. What's involved in the process???

Toothfairy
27-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I am in the middle of a big row about this. :angry:
I have enquired about becoming an accredited CM but in my town there are aleady a few accredited CM's.
I have been told that they probably won't offer me the training as they have a few within my postcode already (some of which are not using their spaces) and want to offer the training to CM's on the outskirts of my town.

I am really upset about this as I have 2 mindees who will leave me to go to nursery if I cannot offer parents the free spaces, as they need to be able to save on fees.

I have told the 'powers that be' that this decision is having a detrimental effect on my business, may cause me to close if I cannot fill the vacancies & is not fair on the children (continuity of care).

But all this has fallen of deaf ears and I am still waiting for them to change their minds. :(

I feel really upset at this 'Postcode discrimination'.

I hope you have better luck than me :thumbsup:

flora
27-01-2011, 01:00 PM
We've tried this Anne, but we have been told there is no demand in Lincs :angry: :eek: :angry: and therefore no funding.

What they really mean is there is too much money invested in sure start centres and cm's are waaaaaay down on their list :(

Let us knnow how you get on would be really intersted to hear :thumbsup:

swindonminder
27-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Im am in the process of becoming an accredited childminder, my development worker has said the first step is to become part of the TRIO network.
She also said that usually you will need to have been minding for at least a year and get a GOOD grade for your first inspection.
I have only recently become registered but I have a parent who needs a cm with the funded pre-school places for their child in Sept. I wont have been working for more then a year but my development officer said Ofsted may make an exception as I am working towards becoming accredited for this particular child.

AnnieM
27-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Could anybody tell me what is actually involved in becoming accredited please? It was something that we were asked about probably 8 or 9 years ago now, but at the time I wasn't interested as was full with a waiting list and happy as I was, now I will do anything to try and get some business, although not sure what the demand would be around here. :o

Mouse
27-01-2011, 05:48 PM
It varies from area to area, so you really need to contact your local early years team to find out.

Here you need to have been minding for a year, be graded good or outstanding, have a level 3 qualification and belong the accredited childminding network. But, there are bug changes coming about in April with all the cutbacks, so childminders here might not even have a network or be able to access the funding. It's all very up in the air at the moment.

venus89
27-01-2011, 06:05 PM
It varies from area to area, so you really need to contact your local early years team to find out.

Here you need to have been minding for a year, be graded good or outstanding, have a level 3 qualification and belong the accredited childminding network. But, there are bug changes coming about in April with all the cutbacks, so childminders here might not even have a network or be able to access the funding. It's all very up in the air at the moment.

Same process here (Kent). It took me about a year from joining the Network to becoming accredited - there were hoops to jump through first!

I'm the only person accredited in the town, or any of the surrounding villages. I'm also the person the Children's Centre can refer 2 year olds with funded places to. I've been accredited nearly a year and never had a funded child!

Cammie Doodle
27-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I have been Accredited and only ever had one child receiving Nursery Funding:( . I had a letter a few weeks ago telling me that I was going to have an audit ECCERS lasting 6 hours :panic:Starting at 7.30 am so she could speak to Parent (how much time would a parent have at that time in the morning God only knows? The Parent in Question needs to be on duty for 7. 45 am ) I would then have a 3 hour feed back appointment the next day. I think the Eccers etc are good tools for us to use as guidance. I would have to go through all this and still not have any children who are Nursery Funded :rolleyes: Not really sure if it's all worth it to be honest :blush:

VINASOL
27-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Same process here (Kent). It took me about a year from joining the Network to becoming accredited - there were hoops to jump through first!

I'm the only person accredited in the town, or any of the surrounding villages. I'm also the person the Children's Centre can refer 2 year olds with funded places to. I've been accredited nearly a year and never had a funded child!

Venus89,
I'm in Kent too....I wouldnt mind doing this....will have been registered for a year in July and I did manage to get graded good on my first inspection so may have a chance????

venus89
27-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Venus89,
I'm in Kent too....I wouldnt mind doing this....will have been registered for a year in July and I did manage to get graded good on my first inspection so may have a chance????

I'm sure you will be - the network meetings aren't that busy so as long as you don't mind putting the extra graft in (which will improve your practice and give you better training opportunities) then it's worthwhile doing, in my opinion. Just contact the NCMA and ask for details and feel free to ask me if you have any more questions :)

VINASOL
27-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm sure you will be - the network meetings aren't that busy so as long as you don't mind putting the extra graft in (which will improve your practice and give you better training opportunities) then it's worthwhile doing, in my opinion. Just contact the NCMA and ask for details and feel free to ask me if you have any more questions :)

ah that's brilliant thanks. Will contact NCMA tomorrow and see what they say:jump for joy:

mushpea
27-01-2011, 08:47 PM
i am accredited,, i have at the moment 1 funded child, to become acredtited i had to have an nvq3 and be part of a network then i have been told to do one big ob a week on the funded child plus little ones too,,there is some paperwork to fill in but once you have done the inital paperwork there is not that much more to do other than the ususual obs.