PDA

View Full Version : mom starting potty training

TRACEY1969
27-01-2011, 09:55 AM
This mindee is now 21/2 years old and starts school this September. He doesn't talk at all and he doesn't let you know if he is doing anything in his nappy, mom has got next week off with him to start potty training and to be honest i am dreading it when he comes back. Mom tried him 2 weeks ago and he wasn't having none of it screaming, crying and wouldn't sit on potty or toilet. I don't want to upset the other children in my setting if he does the same thing here. I have done a policy on potty training that this must be started at home first and that the child must be comfortable with it.

What do you do if a mindee isn't ready for potty training in your setting when a parent has started them at home and a parent insists that you carry on even though the mindee doesn't do this at home, because i know most parents will lie to childminders.

grindal
27-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I would insist that the parent provides pull ups. Tell mum you will support her potty training efforts but for health and safety reasons the lo will have to use pull ups if he has any accidents.

Most kids will get the hang of potty training very easily if they are ready. He may be very different after a week at home with mum - if he is the same he is probably not ready yet, so best advise would be to wait and try again in a month or so.

MaryMary
27-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I would insist that the parent provides pull ups. Tell mum you will support her potty training efforts but for health and safety reasons the lo will have to use pull ups if he has any accidents.

Most kids will get the hang of potty training very easily if they are ready. He may be very different after a week at home with mum - if he is the same he is probably not ready yet, so best advise would be to wait and try again in a month or so.

Definitely agree with pull-ups!

Some children are just not ready at 2 1/2 (especially boys!), but it shouldn't be a problem. My son was over 3 before he was ready :D If the issue is forced too soon, the child may develop a 'phobia' about it, or may suffer from bed-wetting, etc (mum won't like that!)

Good luck :thumbsup:

caz3007
27-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I have a LO who is 3 in April and we had a few issues with his potty training. He totally refused to use anything at my house and got really distressed. We left it for a few weeks (got xmas out the way) and then tried again and he has been fine. I think he needed to get his head around doing it at home with mummy and then was ready to move on here.

Mum was laid back about it and decided not to push the issue and it all worked out right in the end with little stress. He now uses the potty in my bathroom and washes his hands, usually by himself

Chimps Childminding
27-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I currently have a lo who is 2 1/2. Mum says she asks for the potty all the time at home, but NEVER asks here except when I take her nappy off to change her and then she says wee and goes and sits on the potty and will sometimes do a little dribble, but to be honest nappy is usually wet.

One day last week I had just her so thought I would give it a try. Put pants on her and left the potty where she could use it any time. She wet and pooed herself even though I kept asking her if she needed to go.

Mum has suggested letting her try with nothing on, but to be honest I'm not happy with that. Not only do I usually have other mindees, but I also don't think its fair on my family, or my furniture :rolleyes: