PDA

View Full Version : just need one full time child then I can start

kellie198
27-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Im so frustrated I keep getting loads of enquires for part time or few hours need just one parent to want full time then can afford to leave cant live on the few hours here and there . Where are all the full time children I have a mum lined up for after schools and cant take it up till I get at least one full time child has any body else had this problem or have u all left ur jobs and jumped straight in. im starting to give up hope.

Mouse
27-01-2011, 09:03 AM
In the 15 years I've been minding I have never had a full time child. I've always had part timers and fitted them in round each other. I'm full at the moment, but each child is only 2 or 3 days. In a way it's better because if one family gives notice, you only lose the income for those couple of days and still have the rest coming in.

Fingers crossed something comes along for you soon, but if you're only holding out for a full timer, you may have a long wait.

kel1983
27-01-2011, 09:08 AM
I have one which does 3 days a week and one that does 2 afternoons a week. I was ideally like a full timer but just none arund here at the moment. I am currently empty on a thursday which is annoying. Feel like I should be working.

mr man
27-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I jumped stright in, was a little worrying, as Dh was also out of work, :panic:

I knew a couple of Cms and gave them my number and they passed to others, as they were all full up to bursting.
all my enquiries have come from those.
If you know any, call round for a chat or introduce yourself in the playground. If you feel you can do that. :)
my are all part-time 3 mornings / 5 afternoons / and after schools for and hour and half. works well for me:D

ask the schools also, one was great , the other took some persuading :D

good luck, it will work out. :)

gegele
27-01-2011, 09:23 AM
i have 2 part timer 3days a week, one is all year the other term time only
i have 1 part time 2 afternoon a week
and 1 in reception i have 7 til 7 during holidays and before and after school the rest of the time.

i'm full 3days a weekk, work half day on thursady which is my time to run errands friday off during school time which is when i catch up with cleaning so we can have a relax at week end. and catch up with paperwork (:blush: weell supposed to anyway)

you don't want to put all your egg in the same basket, your full timer would be your main income and what if he goes??
this year i was going to lose 1 to redundancy but dad found job during notice period so all well, i have one going on maternity leave in 2-3months and one who is going to put house on market to move back near family!!!!

things happen so fast, you're always only 28days away from nothing!!
i wouldn't put my nose up at part timer. maybe see with your fees ie some here do sessions or minimum hours.

good luck

caz3007
27-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I have been minding for nearly 6 years and just had the first call ever for a full timer, which I couldnt do. I am happy with part timers and slotting them in here and there and it works for me. Very few full timers around here

snufflepuff
27-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Very few full timers round here. Not many Mums go back to work full time and those that do seem to use family for part of the week to keep costs down. Of my group of friends (lots of us who had babies at similar times, all just turning 2 now) only one works full time but she only needs her CM 3 days a week- Daddy and Grandma cover the other days.
Both my mindees do 3 days each, and I get a day off to be with my son. I like it that way.

PixiePetal
27-01-2011, 09:34 AM
In over 16 years I have only had one child do as many as 4 days - never 5.

It seems to be more normal now for families to want 2-4 days. If you can mix and match them, all your eggs are not in one basket and if one leaves, you still have others to keep you going.

Good luck for finding mindees :)

caz3007
27-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Several of mine use family to keep the cost down too. After all if you had one child in full time childcare, you would need to earn quite a bit to cover that.

Minstrel
27-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Isn't it ironic?

Round here it's nothing but full time enquiries and i only want part time due to wanting to still have one to one time wiht my own baby.

Had a perfect enquiry yesterday, right start time, age of child, location of family etc but she wanted mon -fri 7am-7pm for a 16 month old. Just would be too much for me!

mama2three
27-01-2011, 10:15 AM
. Its hard isnt it when you are used to an income ...but it sounds like you are getting lots of enquiries so with a few part timers you may well end up better off than with a fulltimer.My first mindee was 12 hours a week over 3 days , he is now fulltime as mum went back to uni.. I think out of 10 minders locally Im the only one with full time mindees..I have 2.

The Juggler
27-01-2011, 10:33 AM
i'm over-run with partimers which on occasion has meant 6 LJ's on the go even thoguh I only work 4 days a week. Recently I've had 4 enquiries for 5 days a week (which I won't do as I want to keep my day off/paperwork day) but they are all term-time only which I prefer.

Two of them have said they can manage with 4 days per week.

I'd take on the part-timers hon, you will find others to fit in around as so many parents do work part-time now. Also parents sometimes increase their days at work later on.:)

mrs robbie williams
27-01-2011, 10:52 AM
i have 2 that come to me before and after school everyday aged 4 and 6, then i have one on a thursday 1145 until 315. Although i did have an enquiry last night asking for a fulltime place for a 3 yr old so hopefully they will sign up when they visit on Wednesday. But as others have said lots of part timers can work well and can keep you full its just a bit of juggling game with your numbers.

Louise0208
27-01-2011, 10:55 AM
iv only had one enquiry for full time which i refused as i only want part timers, temp & emergency care.

i live on a low work, high single young parents estate so finding any working parents is novel anyway :laughing: ....never mind full time :p it just doesnt pay to work full time if you have lots of childcare to pay for, especially if you have more than one child to pay for.

:thumbsup:

grindal
27-01-2011, 10:56 AM
When I first started minding i was lucky and got a full time mindee (could only have one under 5 as my own 2 were both under 5). Since then I have had 4, 3 and 1 day a week mindees. I actually quite like having different people around. If you have more than one space I would say start off with a part timer - you will probably find others come along and you are able to fill the gaps in.

Rubybubbles
27-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I would take on the part timers, it gets you about and your face seen also!

I have 3 full timers but in the past have had part timers its a bit of a hit and miss! I am the only childminder in my area with full timers, but if one family moves (we live on RAF base) I will loss 2 FT children:panic:

good luck:thumbsup:

pinky33
27-01-2011, 12:50 PM
It's funny how different areas have different needs!
We have 4 full time and two part time which makes it 5 full time spaces filled, we could fit in a 6th but no way lol.

we did used to just have part timers but had 15 families with children in the early years and that was just paperwork after paperwork never again.

Mollymop
27-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I have never had a full time child - yes I do have some children that come every day but they are not here for full days just half days etc. I have one at the moment who come 4 days a week and that is the best I have ever had regarding full time.
I find though that parttimers are better, you can work round them with other children so you will find that you still earn the money you want you just
need to take on a few part timers. Good luck x

kellie198
27-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Thank you all for your replies given me peace of mind Im happy to take past timers very happy but need if possible one part timer say 2 days a week so can still work at my job till I get another part timer to fit the other days but they are looking for half days or few hours here and there which means would really struggle to fit people around theses strange hours and earn money gosh I dont know how some of you know who is coming when lol

Minstrel
27-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you all for your replies given me peace of mind Im happy to take past timers very happy but need if possible one part timer say 2 days a week so can still work at my job till I get another part timer to fit the other days but they are looking for half days or few hours here and there which means would really struggle to fit people around theses strange hours and earn money gosh I dont know how some of you know who is coming when lol

You wait till the school hols- gets even more complicated here then! :D

Seriously i have a very good diary!

miffy
27-01-2011, 08:38 PM
gosh I dont know how some of you know who is coming when lol

If it's not in my diary, it's not happening! :laughing:

Never left anyone behind yet!

Miffy xx

xdirtydancerx
27-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Im so frustrated I keep getting loads of enquires for part time or few hours need just one parent to want full time then can afford to leave cant live on the few hours here and there . Where are all the full time children I have a mum lined up for after schools and cant take it up till I get at least one full time child has any body else had this problem or have u all left ur jobs and jumped straight in. im starting to give up hope.

Nope. I cut my hours in July to accomodate childminding and now I wish I hadn't :mad: Really struggling to get anyone on my books. Am having another shot at advertising again on Monday. The school my dd attends won't hand out my cards so I'm hoping another school will

tulip0803
27-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I have only ever had one full-timer - my first mindee. Everyone else has been part-time (days or hours). Best year was when my LOs went home before 3 & I just had afterschoolers all the same age:)

gegele
27-01-2011, 11:13 PM
looks like different area need different things. ask minders around you who have full timers. here they're a really really rare breed LOL

donnamarie2
28-01-2011, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=kellie198;859084]Im so frustrated I keep getting loads of enquires for part time or few hours need just one parent to want full time then can afford to leave cant live on the few hours here and there . Where are all the full time children I have a mum lined up for after schools and cant take it up till I get at least one full time child has any body else had this problem or have u all left ur jobs and jumped straight in. im starting to give up hope.[/QUOT
Think yourself lucky you are having any enquiries, i can count on 1 hand the number of enquiries ive had since registering .
I have 1 before and after school child , so am earning no where near what i would like but the other minders are full and haven't had any calls either.
Like others have said you may need a few part timers and have to mix and match as what you would like may never happen!!
Good luck though.x