PDA

View Full Version : inspection over with i'm gutted!

edsmum
18-04-2008, 10:18 AM
i got Satisfactory!!!!!!!!!!!
she came at 10 left at 1 and bombarded me with questions the whole time even though i had 1 3yr old, 10 mth old and my 23 mth old son to look after!!!!!!!!!!
first thing she picked mre up on was that i didn't wear gloves to change my sons nappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the next was my child protection leflet from lsgc board was out of date didn't know it had been up dated so how do i know to get a new one?
the other thing was i need more resourses for disability and diversity - thought this may come up so was expecting it.
there were other things that didn't bother me as i am on courses to cover them within the next 6 months.

Do any of you wear gloves to change your own children's nappies i do with my mindees but would never do for my own child?

I think the whole inspection format should be changed i think you should get 2 visits one for observation only when you have mindees and another for question when you don't have any mindees so you can think without distraction!!!!!!1
Rachel:o

sarah707
18-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience... you must feel very low just now...

No I didn't wear gloves to change my children's nappies - I would have been offended if anyone had suggested I should! I followed safe hygiene procedures at all times and that was enough!

As for having an out-of-date leaflet... I think a few people will be looking at theirs just now and wondering how on earth they find out what date it's supposed to be!

Remember though that you are satisfactory... and that is an achievement! :D

Lottie
18-04-2008, 10:27 AM
For goodness sake. I personally think these 'awards' i.e Outstanding, Good etc.. are a complete waste of time. Every person is unique and with that the minding setting is also unique. I understand that Ofsted inspectors have to show that they are also competent and doing their job but I think the way inspections are awarded is just wrong. The words in themselves are far too oblique to give a real indication of how the setting functions.

As for wearing gloves to change your own child!!???!!!! When was that suddenly an issue? I was told to wear gloves for the mindee's but for my own child...you have to be joking!!

Personally I would phone ofsted and complain about this. That's just madness.

loopy lou
18-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi.

I got Satisfactory a couple of weeks ago: don't worry, i have come to the conclusion it's a load of b.....

I just got my inspection report back this morning, she mentioned at the time that i did not have a drain cover and I couldn't find my driving license. I was not prepared to leave 2 kids downstairs and go and look for it. she saw all the relevant insurance etc for the car which is with one recommended by NCMA!! However on the inspection report it says"improve all relevant car documentation is readily available and to share the progress reports(observations) with parents. I have only wrote 5 obs as i have only had the kids for 5 weeks!!

No i don't use gloves to change nappys either, never have done in the 20 so years i have been looking after children.

Thing is you have to wait 3 years to redeem yourself!! How unfair is that.

So really don't worry. You know you are good at what you do and at the end of the day if the parents are happy with the way you care for the kids, that's all that matters!!

Loopy Lou:littleangel:

crazybones
18-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I am glad my os didnt need his nappy changing while inspector was here. He would have freaked if I had used gloves. Mind you my inspector was really good about leaving me to get on with the children and even sat on the floor with her laptop with us which was great because she was really involved with the children.

mrsbumbles
18-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I too was picked up by ss years ago when my daughter was in nappies, and was totally offended by this, and told them so! Why should we use them our children:angry:

I have just been on the child protection course and they gave out the new booklet, but if i had'nt attended that, i would'nt have one!

Dont be too upset with a satisfactory, you have to work hard to get that grading too!

As i have said before, if you asked any of my parents what grading i have, i bet none of them know!

Chin up and smile, you have done well :clapping:

cherry
18-04-2008, 10:43 AM
(So really don't worry. You know you are good at what you do and at the end of the day if the parents are happy with the way you care for the kids, that's all that matters!!)

I agree with Loopy Lou, well done at getting through your inspection. :clapping:

Now you relax for the next three years :thumbsup:

jo f
18-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself- I know its easier said than done.
What you shouuld think about is the enjoyment you give them kids, and how safe and confident they are because of the many things you do. The parents must feel you are doing a great job- they trust you with their most precious things .
I have yet to go through my inspection, I know we need them, and the reasons etc but with all the worry etc they can take some of the fun out of our job and steer us away from the most important things- letting kids be just that- kids!

Keep your chin up- and well done for getting through it!

edsmum
18-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks girls
Can't let it upset me too much i'm 6 mnths pregnant so don't want toupset little man in my tummy do i lol.
What got me bout the child protection leaflet is i'm on a child protection couse on 13th may which she knew bout cas i'd put a list of the courses i'm on in my certificate folder!
my parents all think i'm great which is what matters
i'll have to have another inspection when baby comes in july anyway she said so i'll just hope i don't get her.
Eddie would of run a mile if i'd put gloves on to change his bottom she also said i should of lay him down i'd like to see her lie my son down to change his nappy its easier to do it standing up he's nearly 2 for god's sake!!!!!!!!!:panic:
Rachel x

Monkey1
18-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Chin up hun, she was obviously having a bad day! Never used gloves with my own either!

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Sorry you had a tough time with your inspection

You did really well though and that is the most important thing here

I think its up to you if you want to wear gloves or not with your own child - whatever next ?

Good luck with your pregnancy and hope everything goes ok there - concentrate on that now and dont stress about this

I have a few things on disability and diversity colouring pics if you want to message me your email addy I will send them to you so at least you have some things ready for your next one in July

Take care and dont worry about it

Angel xx

Heaven Scent
18-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I know where they are coming from with the gloves for own children while minding its to prevent cross contamination if you own child is harbouring somthing (illness) and incase you don't wash your hands properly before preparing meals for the other children and for that reason they will see it as important as in a nursery and school there are usually (?) designated food prep staff and they all should wear gloves no matter whose children they are changing. - I'd say for the sake of it if you are due an inspection I would get my child used to gloves by making a game of it and then just use them for the inspection then the choice is yours whether you decide to continue to use them after that.

I'm on the fence with this one and don't want anyone to jump down my neck I'm only presenting it from their point of view

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes Celine of course I can understand that reason with the nappies

I dont think its just about that though - time and time again we hear of inspectors doing things different - it is sooooo unfair

Seems like they should write out a rule book though so we all do the same and so we know where we stand

It would be even better if it were to be printed in nice simple English so we ALL understood it ha

Angel xx

edsmum
18-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes Celine of course I can understand that reason with the nappies

I dont think its just about that though - time and time again we hear of inspectors doing things different - it is sooooo unfair

Seems like they should write out a rule book though so we all do the same and so we know where we stand

It would be even better if it were to be printed in nice simple English so we ALL understood it ha

Angel xx

i completely agree no one inspecter is the same if we had some proper guidlines they wouldn't have free range on how they inspect either!

Lottie
18-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks girls
she also said i should of lay him down i'd like to see her lie my son down to change his nappy its easier to do it standing up he's nearly 2 for god's sake!!!!!!!!!:panic:
Rachel x

So they now have the 'right' to tell you how to look after your own child? This is so ridiculous it's laughable. If anyone told me , Ofsted or otherwise, how I should be looking after my own, I would tell them in no uncertain terms to mind their own *ahem* beeswax!

edsmum
18-04-2008, 11:24 AM
So they now have the 'right' to tell you how to look after your own child? This is so ridiculous it's laughable. If anyone told me , Ofsted or otherwise, how I should be looking after my own, I would tell them in no uncertain terms to mind their own *ahem* beeswax!

I did lottie don't worry.

Heaven Scent
18-04-2008, 11:33 AM
HERE HERE ANGEL AND I KNOW THEY ARE POWER CRAZY (WELL SOME OF THEM ARE AT LEAST) IT WOULD BE GOOD IF THEY TOLD THE RIGHT HAND WHAT THE LEFT HAND WAS DOING.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bubbly
18-04-2008, 11:48 AM
As long as your parents are happy with the care given to their kids, that's really all that matters at the end of the day isn't it. You know you're providing a good service. Well done and hope all goes well with the new baby.

P.S. What child protection leaflet are we supposed to have? I haven't done the course yet and wont have the leaflet for my inspection next week either.

katickles
18-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Hay - satisfactory shows that you are meeting the standards that are required, don't put yourself down! :)

ruby
18-04-2008, 12:17 PM
oh please don't let it get you down
i am sure you are a wonderful childminder

good luck with the new baby when it comes

take care

cathy

son77
18-04-2008, 12:21 PM
But what happens when the children are potty trained but we still have to help them wipe themselves, should we be wearing gloves then too?

My DD had a poo on the toilet during my inspection & I just wiped her then washed my hands thoroughly & that seemed fine.

allinatiz
18-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Well done, don't let that nit picking get you down! :clapping:

I don't wear gloves to change my mindee never mind my own and I did say in another thread that I was going to wait until it became a requirement to do so!

A rule book would be nice wouldn't it? They're forever going on about consistency when looking after children, how about them showing some? :rolleyes:

crazybones
18-04-2008, 12:25 PM
But what happens when the children are potty trained but we still have to help them wipe themselves, should we be wearing gloves then too?

My DD had a poo on the toilet during my inspection & I just wiped her then washed my hands thoroughly & that seemed fine.

Never thought of that! Did inspector follow you into toilet to check what was going on? Not to self: Cancel any children who need to use the toilet for next inspection. :eek:

son77
18-04-2008, 12:30 PM
No she didn't, DD did stick her hands under inspectors nose though so she could smell the handwash :laughing:

ma7ie
18-04-2008, 12:56 PM
sorry you're unhappy with your grade.

I didn't wear gloves to change nappies at my inspection this week and I just used a wipe to clean my hands between children too.

lilliuspillius
18-04-2008, 02:57 PM
i wore gloves at my inspection, luckily not for my own daughter. but the inspector asked me if i used disposable aprons as well!!!!!!!!!!

ma7ie
18-04-2008, 03:00 PM
i wore gloves at my inspection, luckily not for my own daughter. but the inspector asked me if i used disposable aprons as well!!!!!!!!!!

I think that is so ridiculous. We'll be expected to wear a mac and wellies before long.:laughing:

LittleMissSparkles
18-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I personally thinl that by giving a grade as such you they are adding extra pressure on us to get outstanding, well done on your grade, it is just a one word honey, the full report will speak for itself im sure xxx

donnahay0
18-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Ofsted really do have a lot to answer for - they just make it up as they go along, it wouldn't surprise me if some of them have decided the outcome before they even enter the house. They need to have consistency, after all they expect it from us. Perhaps we should inspect them on their job.

I have had three of my own children and have never worn gloves to change their nappies and if I had any more (definately not going to) I wouldn't either.

The inspector has not pulled you up for anything important and has obviously been extremely picky - it sounds to me like you are a good childminder and shouldn't. I wouldn't worry too much about the grade you have been given, from my experience not many parents are interested anyway - most of them think Ofsted are a pain in the back side.

Splish Splosh
18-04-2008, 04:13 PM
no dont let it get you down, really not worth the worrying over.
carry on childminding and enjoy it, all the best for when the baby comes.

charleyfarley
18-04-2008, 04:20 PM
You are doing an extremely good job just you remember that.

Ofsted really need to sort themselves out the way they do these inspections.

Someone on a course with me was told at her inspection that you DON'T need to wear gloves as long as you thoroughly clean your hands after nappy changes.

I was also told on my Health and Safety course that we do not have to wear gloves to change our own childen when I asked obviously he was wrong.

Should we be wearing mouth masks too, just incase we breathe on them...

Carol xx

miffy
18-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Never thought of that! Did inspector follow you into toilet to check what was going on? Not to self: Cancel any children who need to use the toilet for next inspection. :eek:

Yep mine did - but she did keep a discreet distance until I'd wiped mindees bottom but she watched us wash our hands so thank goodness we got that right!

Sorry you've had a rough time during your inspection it makes you want to spit how inconsistent Ofsted are

Satisfactory is great though because it shows you are meeting the standards

Good luck with your pregnancy

miffy xx

buildingblocks
18-04-2008, 09:01 PM
i got Satisfactory!!!!!!!!!!!

first thing she picked mre up on was that i didn't wear gloves to change my sons nappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have read everyones replies on this and here is my thoughts on this. I wear gloves but don't have children of my own so not the same situation as you . Personally I think it is your decision if you wear them or not. I do as if I catch a bug from a child I end up having to take three days off work with D&S .

From a sitting on the fence point of view I do think Ofsted would probably say that if you wear them for mindees then you should for your own children as you are then not showing mindees they are different to your own children but again what about treating all children as individuals (told you I was sitting on the fence with this reply lol

the next was my child protection leflet from lsgc board was out of date didn't know it had been up dated so how do i know to get a new one?

We are sent the LSCB guidelines from local EY when the newest one is out - are you sure yours isn't the most recent

the other thing was i need more resourses for disability and diversity - thought this may come up so was expecting it.

Do think that is expecting a lot just 4 days into minding

there were other things that didn't bother me as i am on courses to cover them within the next 6 months.

Do any of you wear gloves to change your own children's nappies i do with my mindees but would never do for my own child?

I think the whole inspection format should be changed i think you should get 2 visits one for observation only when you have mindees and another for question when you don't have any mindees so you can think without distraction!!!!!!1can't see this ever happening Ofsted work office hours not real childminding hours
Rachel:o

well done on surviving your inspection just remember your parents and children think you are a greatminder and it is their opinion that should matter to you

Heaven Scent
18-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Weeks ago I heard that a local childminder got an outstanding for her inspection and decided to find her report and read it and indeed it read very well and was quite impressive as reports go, but then I read loads of others that the same inspector had done and they all read the same and I'll be d****d if I could see the difference between the satisfactories, the goods and the outstandings I just don't know what she based her grades on. I think they have targets to meet at each grade and they make it up as they go along and you get the next grade on their tick box - no insult ment to those who got outstandings etc but it just doesn't seem fair that some people put in oodles of work and others put in the bare minimum and everyone gets bazar grades do you see what I mean.

Put it behind you luv and move onwards and upwards and it will be another 3 years till you have to worry about it again and by then we will all just about be used to the EYFS and they will be talking about scrapping that - hopefully we will all be inspected under that this time and be into the swing of the next system before the next inspection if it is all timed right.