PDA

View Full Version : Stay a CM or become teaching assistant?

MissTinkerbell
26-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Well as most of you know that DH has been relocated with RAF down to Bristol and this has forced me to think about where I want to go with my career.

3 years ago I packed up teaching and went through the process to become a CM. My thoughts at the time were that this would be a temporary situation until my own LOs (2 at the time) started big school and then perhaps I would go back into the teaching profession.

However over the course of the 3 years I have become to enjoy the majority of the aspects of CMing and have been lucky in finding children who only need to be looked after term time. I've looked after 7 delightful children during this time and have considered it an honour to play a part in their daily lives, their development and their learning.

However I have not really enjoyed having my house overtaken, too many toys cluttering the place and DD1 often moaning that she's fed up of having other people's children in her home.

Now I am faced with a decision - do I give the CMing a go in my new location and risk getting children who are not term time onlys (meaning that I will not be able to take the children to visit their grandparents in school holidays) or do I not renew my registration (which is due the beginning of May - we'll probably move mid to end of April) and look for a teaching assistants post?

I definitely do not want to go back into teaching but would enjoy being a teaching assistant either full or part time, preferably part-time and looking at the local county councils website there are plenty of positions available. All the schools have before/after school clubs so childcare for my 3 would not be a problem.

I've spoken to DD1 and she seems happy with the idea.

Just wondering on your thoughts to help me make the decision.

xdirtydancerx
26-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I think you have already answered your own question. My only advice would be to follow your heart :thumbsup:

Twinkles
26-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I would love to be a teaching assistant but could not afford the pay cut.

If you can afford to do this I'd say go for it. It may be worth keeping your registration up ( even if it means a visit from Mrs O ) just in case you find it doesn't work out for you.

snufflepuff
26-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I say go for it! (You can always keep your registration so if you want to come back to childminding in the next few years you can.) If my son was in school i'd jump at the chance.

sarak31
26-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I did this myself - I was cminding then became a TA and now have returned to childminding. I found it frustrating working to a teacher after being my own boss and missed being at home. Also I found that it wasn't just my hours as a TA - they wanted extra time around shows, sports events etc - all for no money of course - and I didn't like having my children in childcare. Oh and I earnt a lot less money.

Those were the negatives - the positives were I loved working in school, it was so much fun being with the children, I had lots of teaching opportunities and got to stretch myself, my house was my own and so were the holidays, I had colleagues and other adults to talk to during the day and I learnt loads which I now apply to my childminding.

MissTinkerbell
26-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Also I found that it wasn't just my hours as a TA - they wanted extra time around shows, sports events etc - all for no money of course

Having been a teacher for 12 years this aspect of the job was part and parcel so doesn't bother me.

All 3 of my children are in full time school so would only need care before/after school so this wouldn't bother me.

As for pay cut - I only work 4 days a week and term time only so over the course of a year it would probably be about the same as I'm earning at the moment, plus with hubby's new job comes a pay increase so one would offset the other.

Also it looks likely that my children would not be going to the schools where we will be living so I would not be on the school playground to make contacts and get myself known in the area -I know this isn't the only way but it certainly helps.

grindal
26-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Would you consider going back into teaching on a part time basis? I know the demands and hours are longer but this is ofset by the pay which is considerably more than a TA.

I also left teaching to become a childminder so totally understand where you are coming from - just a thought!

Bridey
26-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Keep the registration going to keep your options open. Good luck with your decision :)

MissTinkerbell
26-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Would you consider going back into teaching on a part time basis? I know the demands and hours are longer but this is ofset by the pay which is considerably more than a TA.

Nope:laughing: I only taught part time before and found that it was too demanding.

My friend teaches and works 3 days a week - she leaves the house at 7am and gets home at 6.30pm and then does another hour or so at home most evenings ...... not for me I'm afraid. Hence thinking about a TA instead.

The Juggler
27-01-2011, 10:38 AM
depends how much you earn as a CM hon. I looked into TA work lots of times but by the time you pro-rate the salary (from 36 hours to 0830-1530, from 52 weeks to 40) you don't end up with much per month and on top of that they expect you to stay and attend meetings and do prep unpaid:panic: :panic:

sorry to be doom and gloom but I reckon you'd only end up with about £700/month if you were lucky. So depends on how much you'd need to be earning really

MissTinkerbell
27-01-2011, 04:36 PM
sorry to be doom and gloom but I reckon you'd only end up with about £700/month if you were lucky. So depends on how much you'd need to be earning really

At the moment thats how much I'm earning CMing so wouldn't be much different .... and that flucctuates because I only get 1/2 fees for school holidays.

The Juggler
27-01-2011, 05:52 PM
At the moment thats how much I'm earning CMing so wouldn't be much different .... and that flucctuates because I only get 1/2 fees for school holidays.

then I'd go for it hon:)