PDA

View Full Version : too many or not

mushpea
26-01-2011, 01:40 PM
seeing the other post about a toy cull got me thinking,, how many toys do we really need,,,,,,
I have set up a toy kitchen,,, prams and babys, a ride on lion,, baby walker,, activity table (the musical sort),,,
then i have 2 sets of draws with the following in
popoids
potato head
kiddi knex
animals
cars
trainset and trains
duplo
on a high shelf are games, puzzles and lego

then each week i bring in musical type toys and either pepper pig or happy street plus toys for the older ones like army men and marble run,,,

then i have a shed full of other toys,, some used to be my own kids stuff and i havent the heart to sell it and other stuff i probably dont need but keep just in case

how many toys do you all have and do you rotate them or just leave them in?

miffy
26-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I am totally the wrong person to ask about having too many toys :laughing:

Yes I do rotate them but I've so many there are some up in the loft even I've forgotten what I've got!

Daft really but I do find it difficult to part with them

Miffy xx

mufftie
26-01-2011, 01:46 PM
snap im exactly the same cant get rid of anything , thinking maybe i should now as my own youngest child is 6 and is growing out of them slowly but i just cant bear

Mouse
26-01-2011, 01:54 PM
At the last count we had 12 dolly pushchairs & prams! We never use that many, so why can't I bring myself to get rid of some? :rolleyes:

I had 2 floor to ceiling cupboards built into the playroom last year. In theory I was supposed to sort out all the toys from the house and sheds and just fill the cupboards with all the basics that I need. I had it in my mind that I'd have a box of cars, a box of dolls, a box of building bricks etc etc - all neat & tidy.

Reality is 2 sheds that are so full that I can't even get to the toys in them, a playroom full of toys and 2 newly built cupboards burtsing at the seems :blush: :laughing:

I will sort it all one day...honest :thumbsup:

miss mopple
26-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Funnily enough I have just posted about having a big cull. I have way too much, and duplicates of stuff 'just in case' so it's time to get rid. We are rarely home and they always play with the same stuff anyway. I have a fortunes worth of unloved toys and a home that cant hold them any longer

Siana
26-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure if you can have too many toys!

I have a playroom with toys in that are out all the time, and then drawers with puzzles and games in, paints and playdoh etc. There is a toybox with lots of different light up toys etc in. Lots of books that are always out.

We have a playshed in the garden with outdoor bits in.

I do rotate some toys but the majority of it is out all the time.

My mindee is still pretty young and seems content with what is out. We don't spend an awful lot of time playing at home either as usually at groups or out for a walk.

janminder
26-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I have so many toys too, i either rotate them myself or change the boxes over by request from the children as in one corner of the room I have 4 of those large lidded plastic transparent boxes in 2 stacks of 2 and then another 10 boxes in the cupboard under the stairs along with toys not in these boxes.
There also 4 open plastic storage boxes out with books.

Oh and I am still using the Fisher Price Play Family hospital and farm which were my daugher's when she was about 3/4 years and she is 35 now (they were made to last) and they are out loose next to the boxes along with toy tool box and a laundry bin with dolls, blankets, dolls clothes.

I have too much, when I retire I will have so much room:)

ajs
26-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I am totally the wrong person to ask about having too many toys :laughing:

Yes I do rotate them but I've so many there are some up in the loft even I've forgotten what I've got!

Daft really but I do find it difficult to part with them

Miffy xx

same as me and muftie m youngest is 16 and i still have all of ther toys lol

AnnieM
26-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a little tykes kitchen with playfood, 1 pram, 1 baby born, 1 highchair, clothes and accessories for said baby born, duplo, knex, sticklebricks, wooden blocks, dinosaurs and playmat, farm animals and playmat, jungle animals and playmat, sea creatures, minibeasts and playmat, wooden trainset, cars, garage and playmat, loads of Happyland sets, Tower of Doom and figures, loads of Jigsaws, playtrays and games, a trolley full of craft stuff, puppet theatre and puppets (lots), dressing up clothes, hundreds of books, tonnes of baby toys, playmat and gym, treasure basket and heuristic play collections.

Now all I need are some children to actually play with them. :D

I was giving up last year and sold/freecycled everything, then changed my mind so had to start buying it all over again. It has made me more careful with the resources I have re-bought though as lots of my older stuff never got played with, so I didn't bother with those. :thumbsup:

janminder
27-01-2011, 10:48 PM
You have a lot too, hope you get some children soon.

AnnieM
28-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I am lucky though as DH has let me take over the dining room as we never really use it anyway now DS has left home. I have it set up as a playroom in there so storage is not too much of a problem. :thumbsup:

Sally West
29-01-2011, 08:11 PM
seeing the other post about a toy cull got me thinking,, how many toys do we really need,,,,,,
I have set up a toy kitchen,,, prams and babys, a ride on lion,, baby walker,, activity table (the musical sort),,,
then i have 2 sets of draws with the following in
popoids
potato head
kiddi knex
animals
cars
trainset and trains
duplo
on a high shelf are games, puzzles and lego

then each week i bring in musical type toys and either pepper pig or happy street plus toys for the older ones like army men and marble run,,,

then i have a shed full of other toys,, some used to be my own kids stuff and i havent the heart to sell it and other stuff i probably dont need but keep just in case

how many toys do you all have and do you rotate them or just leave them in?

Your not allowed baby walkers!!!:eek:

ChocolateChip
29-01-2011, 09:20 PM
At the moment in my lounge I have either tubs with lids on or the plastic drawers from Argos with:
threading cards, laces, buttons, reels, etc
assorted vehicles
sticklebricks
animals, farm, jungle, dinosaurs, sea life
huge playfood, cooking, shops collection
ELC build it
megablocks
activity toys
card games, snap, top trumps, etc
small board games like alphabet bingo, shopping list, fishing game, etc
jigsaws and tray puzzles
aquadraw, mega sketcher, fuzzy felts
wooden railway (hundreds of it) and Thomas train case
2 shelves and a basket of books
2 large baskets of baby toys

Under my stairs cupboard I have 4x 3drawer sets of art and craft plus 2 big tubs for paint and playdough stuff.

In the dining area the cupboard has free access paper and colouring stuff

In my kids rooms (which take turns to come down)
tub of dollies, prams, etc
tub of dressing up
wooden dolls house
car mat and die cast vehicles
dance and singing mats
lego
double wardrobe full of more board games
girlie stuff like fairies and princess carriage

In the attic (which also come down in turns)
Bob the builder vehicles and building yard playset
wooden farm
wooden garage
noahs ark
Teletubbies playset
pirate ship set
castle set
2 more large boxes of baby/ toddler toys
large tub of sports/ games stuff
more puzzles (1 box)
more books (4 boxes)
more dressing up (2 boxes)
more craft items (3 boxes)
tub of empty containers for treasure baskets

And that's not counting all the outdoor stuff which I have in one of those garden stores, and the ride ons.

Can anybody explain why I still feel the need to buy more, nearly every time I go out? :o

I forgot to mention all the musical instruments and story sacks/ puppets.