PDA

View Full Version : Will this be rude of me?

pinkbutterfly
26-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Just a bit of advice. I left a 15 minute gap between two mindees so that I can have time to tidy up and do other things. Today I was desperate to go to the toilet when mindee 2 arrived (15 minutes too early). Will it be rude if I just ignore the doorbell next time? I'm not being paid for those 15 minutes anyway and sometimes I do need a bit of time for myself like ... the toilet break.
I tried to hint today but she just said 'I'll sit with my LO for 15 minutes in your living room'. I'm NOT comfortable with this! just said to her to go. She could have sat in the car. How would you deal with this ...

Hebs
26-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Dont answer!

She'll soon get the hint

clio0602
26-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I've started ignoring the door and in the moring don't unlock the porch door until its time to start so I can't hear the knocking either. I quite often go to unlock the door at 7.30am to have people on my doorstep :o

the happy house
26-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree - don't answer the door.

rickysmiths
26-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Me too, don't answer.

Chimps Childminding
26-01-2011, 01:44 PM
If you don't want to start before they are supposed to be with you - don't!! We stand outside nursery waiting for them to open the door, we can see they are in there, but the door stays closed till 8.50 regardless of the fact we are waiting :thumbsup:

Mouse
26-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Was mindee 1 already there? I'm not sure I understand the bit about needing 15 minutes between mindees so that you can get tidied up and do other things, but I do very much understand the 'wanting to go to the toilet in peace' bit!
On a Tue & Wed my first mindee arrives at 8am and I'll often dash up to the loo just before they're due. You can guarantee mum will knock on the door just as I get up there. I've explained to her that her start time is 8am and that I don't open the door until then. I use the insurance excuse - I'm not covered by my insurance until the contracted time.

It's normally a waste of time hinting at parents - you need to tell them straight out. Explain that if she arrives 15 mins early the chances are you are still getting set up fpr the day and doing your last minute bits & bobs. She can't wait inside becasue of insurance and if mindee 1 is already there, she can't be left alone in the room with the child as she isn't CRB checked.

If it's a one off, I'd give her a gentle reminder, then forget it. If it's a regular thing, suggest she changes her start time to 15 mins earlier and pays the extra.

sandy64
26-01-2011, 01:49 PM
hi ive a lo who twice a wk should arrive at 10.15 but arrives at 9.45 ive ignored door told her im out til 10.10 but she constantly rings my mobile saying shes stood outside in rain:angry:
so yes put your foot down now hard and hopefully it will work as you need to do things whilst you have no lo:)

The Juggler
26-01-2011, 02:08 PM
if you're already working then I'd not bother worrying about spacing out the mindees other than them arriving at exactly same time.

I would just ask her if she needs to change her hours. If she does you can readjust the invoice/monthly amount for her;)

Bridey
26-01-2011, 02:13 PM
hi ive a lo who twice a wk should arrive at 10.15 but arrives at 9.45 ive ignored door told her im out til 10.10 but she constantly rings my mobile saying shes stood outside in rain:angry:
so yes put your foot down now hard and hopefully it will work as you need to do things whilst you have no lo:)

I'd tell her I was in the bath!

pinkbutterfly
26-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Basically I'm registered for just one in the EY group as two of mine are in that group. I left 15 minutes free between the mindees for two reasons
-if parent 1 runs late (she's only local) I have a bit of a buffer before the other one is due so I'm not over the numbers
-I like to have break to ... ring a bank, check emails, have a quick bite to eat, drink something that is HOT, toilet etc
Tomorrow I will turn the doorbell off just after LO1's gone and will turn it back on bang on time the other one is due to arrive

What's this insurance bit some of you mentioned? I've read through mine and it doesn't mention anything like that

The Juggler
26-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Basically I'm registered for just one in the EY group as two of mine are in that group. I left 15 minutes free between the mindees for two reasons
-if parent 1 runs late (she's only local) I have a bit of a buffer before the other one is due so I'm not over the numbers
-I like to have break to ... ring a bank, check emails, have a quick bite to eat, drink something that is HOT, toilet etc
Tomorrow I will turn the doorbell off just after LO1's gone and will turn it back on bang on time the other one is due to arrive

What's this insurance bit some of you mentioned? I've read through mine and it doesn't mention anything like that

oh I see, is one an overnight stay or one is morning and one pm?? Then def. tell her you cannot work before the contract time due to ratios and insurance (you are not covered if you are over your registered numbers hon). Tell her you need that 15 mins to get sorted and have a break before you start work again.:)

singingcactus
26-01-2011, 02:25 PM
If you don't want her to arrive early just tell her. Don't hint, don't ignore, don't lie, don't play the games that seem to be popular, just tell her.
It is hard to arrive at the exact minute required even if you live close but if you don't want her to knock until a specific time then just tell her that.
All these games that are being played are getting us all a terrible name

maryp0ppins
26-01-2011, 02:28 PM

It's called a little white lie.....tell early mum you will not be answering the door to her until the contracted time. Tell her your insurance wont cover anything that should god forbidden happen in that 15 Min's also mention you are not happy with her coming in and waiting as this is your only 15 minute break of the day!!
Be nice but be firm!!! Once things start it's hard to break the habit, let her do it once she will expect in day in - day out :panic:

MAWI
26-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I would be polite but firm, tell her her start time is. 'x, y,z'. :) You could always charge for those fifteen minutes for outside of contracted hours.
I find it hard to ignore my door, so do let them in. I do tell them that if they turn up early thats fine, but they will be billed on their next invoice at time and a half ( Hours outside contracted hours) No- one seems to arrive too early now!!!

Chimps Childminding
26-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I understand now :blush: If you can only have 1 mindee in the EY (due to you having 2 of your own in that age group) you can't allow the second one to come until the first has left as you will be over your numbers. I would explain this to mum and that this is why you have arranged for xxxx to be dropped off at xxxx! Never mind the fact that you want a few minutes to yourself (how dare you :D )

blue bear
26-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Parents and other people in general find it hard to understand if you are home why should it matter if they are early or late you are there anyway! You need to explain to mum why, bet she gets toilet breaks at work wish I could have a 15 min break, be firm but professional no way would our preschool open early what ever the weather why should it be different because you work out of your house.