PDA

View Full Version : Sure start childminding group

SamBaker
25-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I have just been to my local sure start centre where they had a minding group today, it was brilliant and the facilities and equipment were fantastic, unfortuantly there were only three childminders there which I thought was a shame, ( good for me as a bit shy when it comes to lots of new people :blush: ) So I thought I would come and tell you all about it and maybe get a few more people in our area to attend. I have two very exhausted little people which is defently worth going!:laughing:

sfox2003
25-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Where abouts is the centre?

Its a shame when not many people go. I attend a childminding group at a sure start centre thats exactly the same. Only 2-3 childminders attend each week & theres so much planning goes into it. They even provide a copy of the planning for our records.

mamasheshe
25-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Ours is always busy a bit to busy sometimes

Louise0208
25-01-2011, 01:14 PM
theres not one near me.....even though we have a surestart centre & 4 childminders on the same road! :rolleyes:

kel1983
25-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Ive been to my local group today. Its lovely. There was about 15 minders today. Ive only been attending for the past 3 weeks so am new in the group but they all are very welcoming. Its nice to get out the house and always wears my LO out. She has just gone down for her 2 hour sleep. :clapping:

It very good for the LO I have too because she is an only child and needs more interaction with other children.

Pauline
25-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Same at ours, there are only 4 regulars for a beautiful setting with so many lovely resources which we can use and borrow.

LittleStar's
25-01-2011, 02:53 PM
We go to ours every week and its just me and 2 other childminders every week its nice though, we do our own planning and then our network co ordinator provides all of our materials xxx

lynnslittleuns
25-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Our Sure Start childminders pop-in is held every wednesday morning and its lovely.
I actually started it myself and now there are 5 regular minders plus a few that pop in from time to time.
Unfortunately we are now getting concerned because of cut backs, that some of the lovely staff may be getting made redundant then unsure if we will still have our facilities. Only time will tell.
Lynn xx

miffy
25-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Our children's centre was purpose built a couple of years ago, their resources are fantastic and they've been welcoming and allowed us to borrow things but still only 3 or 4 cm's attend every fortnight - very sad as the things are so under used.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
25-01-2011, 06:00 PM
It's sad to hear about all the centres being underused. :(

Maybe they're like ours? Ours wont let minders take children who aren't registered with the centre so if you get a parent who doesn't want to use the SS centre then the minder cannot go.

Good thing CM sessions are only once a month and then only for 1.5 hours as there's not a lot to miss :laughing:

VINASOL
25-01-2011, 06:54 PM
oh i wish my CC had something like that.

I went to a childminding group once. Never again. They left all the children to get on with it, whilst that bitched and moaned about everyone they could think of....made me feel like an outsider and I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life...

...maybe it is because I am not a CoE church-goer.

What a shame as I really do need some childminding support.

edited to say: apart from you lovely people here who are so keepign me sane!

mufftie
25-01-2011, 07:46 PM
i go to one occasionally but dont really like , im not a big fan of sure start and prefer private run groups where you can actually get a cup of coffee and relax

TammyN
25-01-2011, 08:52 PM
i love going to my local cm groups, we have 2 now per week at children's centres and they both have around 3-5 cm each week.
it's a real benefit to share practice it's a shame not more attend, i don't even know most of the minders near me as they don't attend any groups that i do?

SamBaker
25-01-2011, 09:24 PM
i go to one occasionally but dont really like , im not a big fan of sure start and prefer private run groups where you can actually get a cup of coffee and relax

That was the only one bad point, we wern't allowed to have any hot drinks in the room, after running around like a loon before school runs I was looking forward to a cuppa, had a banging head ache at lunch time :( Will have to overdose on tea before I do the school run next week lolol!!!:laughing:

mufftie
25-01-2011, 10:15 PM
i often pop into maccies first for a nice latte so im ready for the morning when i get there :blush:

Carol M
25-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Shoot me down in flames if you like but I'm afraid I would rather do my own thing than go to the local CC. We have one group for 1.5 hrs a month, not allowed to take children who are not registered in the area, not allowed to take photos,not allowed to access the parents groups and not allowed to put our contact details on the noticeboard for fear of competition with on site nursery .
Supporting and encouraging childminders to use their lovely resourses and giving parents a choice.... I don't think so.
Carol xx

yummymummy
26-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I think it is a shame that there is such a variation in what is offered Country wide. We are not allowed as Childminders to use Childrens Centres except for the Childminder drop ins in our area. Been to three in different centres and can honestly say that it is the same cliquey groups that used to attend the childminding association groups before it was disbanded and who sat gossiping, running parents and children down and whose mindees run in a pack intimidating others and the childminders don't take any notice of how they are behaving, they go to various other soft play, mums and toddlers etc and act exactly the same there. Like Carol I do my own thing so was devastated when local Childminders were told they were not allowed to use the Childrens Centres for other sessions as I find these fine.

appleblossom
26-01-2011, 10:12 AM

I'm the same. I've stopped going to ours. My two LO's just stay with me. They don't play as there aren't many resources they enjoy. They just bring books to me to look at with them. I can do that at home with them. I can have a cuppa at home too. I think the atmosphere is spoilt there by some CM who let their children scream and run wild. It's a big church hall, echoing and noisy.

So I just go to the private Mums and Tots group twice a week instead. My Lo's love it there, and I am allowed a cup of tea.

Louise0208
26-01-2011, 10:52 AM
we dont have a CM group & we have only just been allowed to take minded kids to the play & learn sessions....

there are no chairs, we have to leave prams outside (im not leaving my DD £500 bugaboo in full view of a estate busy road) i cant take photos so its no use to add activities to LJs etc....and its always freezing as the garden door has to be kept open. :(

.....and there is an out of control kid there every week who bites, punches, screams and kicks his way through each session while mum say 'oh baby, dont do that sweetie' in a sacherine sweet baby voice while hes kicking 7 bells of s*** outa her :rolleyes:

i should of took my daughter this morning but im not working till 11.30 and couldnt cope with his screaming fit for 2 house before i start work

whinge over :blush:

lauren1979
26-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm going to go to mine now! Always meant to but always seem to have busy Wednesdays, plus felt I couldn't/shouldn't go if didn't have any mindees with me...but have little boy starting next week so will :)

mufftie
26-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm going to go to mine now! Always meant to but always seem to have busy Wednesdays, plus felt I couldn't/shouldn't go if didn't have any mindees with me...but have little boy starting next week so will :)

hope you enjoy yours then :thumbsup:

JCrakers
26-01-2011, 02:05 PM
oh i wish my CC had something like that.

I went to a childminding group once. Never again. They left all the children to get on with it, whilst that bitched and moaned about everyone they could think of....made me feel like an outsider and I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life...

...maybe it is because I am not a CoE church-goer.

What a shame as I really do need some childminding support.

edited to say: apart from you lovely people here who are so keepign me sane!

Same here...I stuck it out for about 6months..I felt like jumping off a bridge so stopped going...lol
I go to local toddler groups...quite hard to make friends as I make friends with the mums but then their little ones grow and they stop going so I have to start all over again.

Chimps Childminding
26-01-2011, 02:22 PM
We had had one start up in CC in October, just once a month. June and I went to the first one and there was us and 3 other cm. Shame really cause there were 2 playworkers on hand to entertain the children (only had 4 between all of us and 3 of them were babies).

Next one in nov we were going to be looking at our planning/obs sheets but only June and I were there and to be honest we get together most days anyway so not really of any benefit.

We were supposed to have a meeting last Thursday, but June had no one that day, and mine cancelled due to being ill - and as it was my birthday as well we decided to have a day updating the SEF instead :D

Not sure about the next one, guess it will be Feb sometime (tho could clash with Half Term anyway) but not really any point if it is only us going, we can have a cuppa and look at paperwork etc anytime :thumbsup: