PDA

View Full Version : I know theres been lots of posts about this but.....

Newbie1!
25-01-2011, 08:28 AM
............Ive been offered a Phil and Teds sports buggy with doubles kit and would like opinions, thoughts, goods and bads on it please and also best ages its used for and what you think would be a reasonable price for a second hand one but with all accessories (cosy toes etc)

Thankin you all in advance xxxxx

AliceK
25-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Well I have one and think it's great, one of the best pushchairs I've had and I've had a few :laughing: . Age wise unless you have the cocoon then I think it's best for maybe 8 / 9 mths plus. My DD is over 3yrs old and she still hops in the back for a lift sometimes. They are easy to steer with one hand and obviously narrow unlike a side by side so you can go anywhere. I think they are very popular and will hold their price but not sure what that would be second hand as I bought mine new.

xxxxx

Pipsqueak
25-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I would not be without mine and wonder how I managed before! lol

Its easy to push (one handed), manouver, handle, store and it goes in the back of my Kia Sedona (small boot space) just fine.

The coocoon was a brilliant for the tiny tot I have (now outgrown it though).

In all that snow - there was no way I would have got a normal buggy or double though it - the P&T handled it all well

singlewiththree
25-01-2011, 12:12 PM
TAKE IT! I adore mine, I sold my first one and then when I became a childminder bought a 2nd hand one as they are just amazing.

blue bear
25-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Love mine, was unsure before hand as I did not like the look of the lower seat but mine fight over it! They like to tip back and chat to me as we walk. Have used mine for children from six months to three years

PixiePetal
25-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I am not really a fan but bought a new one as it fitted my needs - think they were made for CM who use public transport!

not sure on price - have a look on ebay to see what they are going for?

LittleStar's
25-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I love mine and wouldn't be without it but I find I lose control a little going up curbs if the children are older (2,3 yrs)

Mine is torn , on the main buggy where they put there feet so if anyone knows where i might be able to get it repaired ???

onceinabluemoon
25-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I sold mine for £250 and it was immaculate and came with cocoon, wet weather gear, sun net and pannier bags.

You will probably find a few on ebay now the improved version (the new explorer) is out.

Positives:

it fits through doorways
it can be used as a double or single
its sturdy and can hold a child up to 20 kg in the main seat
it's ok to push when in 2 tier mode (but heavy when toddler in top & baby in main seat mode or with 2 toddlers)
it goes on the bus or folds up small to go in cars
its fabulous to load up on a trip out!

Negatives:

You *have* to have the heavier child in the front and MUST remove the child in back first or it will tip backwards
tips backwards going down steep hills or slopes
neither child can lay back to go to sleep if you have it in 2 tier mode
the doubles kit lay back thing is only any good up until 6 to 8 months old (baby's age) which as the suitable age starts at 6 months is a little bit pointless
it's really heave to lift!
when using the double kit you no longer have a shopping basket as it doubles as a footrest. (one of my mindees used to reach into the basket and play with the shopping!
children in 2nd seat can reach past the wheel guards and play with the wheels if they are that way inclined.

I've put a lot of negative points BUT would still buy another one if I needed it because the good outweigh the bad, however I also have a side by side that they could sleep in if I was out for the whole day...

If you buy one check that you are getting Version 2, it has a much better clip to hold it together (original had a post and loop system) , also check the wheels bearings are not shot.

onceinabluemoon
25-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I love mine and wouldn't be without it but I find I lose control a little going up curbs if the children are older (2,3 yrs)

Mine is torn , on the main buggy where they put there feet so if anyone knows where i might be able to get it repaired ???

There are usually loads of footwells on ebay, really simple to replace yourself. If not you can buy new from Olivers. x

mufftie
25-01-2011, 07:51 PM
i bought the latest version of it at christmas cost me £500 new , and tbh it dosnt compare to my out and about nipper 360 , i find it difficult to get up curbs , but i do like it from the point of view that its 2 buggies in one

MaryMary
25-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I got the lady in Mothercare to demonstrate one to me today :)
I really like the look of it, but is too expensive for me to justify buying it at the moment (I don't need it at the moment :blush: just want one! :laughing: )

When I told dd I was thinking of getting one she was horrified (in a way only 15 year olds can be!). She said they are cruel, with the baby so near the flloor. Having seen one 'in the flesh' today, I am even more sold on the idea :D

At least I have something to save for :clapping:

Trouble is, they have an offer on in Mothercare, and that won't last forever....

mufftie
25-01-2011, 10:44 PM
i bought mine on offer from mothercare

Newbie1!
25-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Thank you guys, I'm guessing the one I've been offered for £75 immaculate with all accessories is pretty good then!! My biggest worry is the under seat bit, id be transporting slightly older ones the majority of the time so would be 2 1/2-3 yr old in the front and an 18 month old underneath.I dont have any.little little babies and the youngest is 10 months and quite robust for his age! On you opinions would p and t be suitable for these sorts of ages - or maybe just get it as a bargain n if its no.good I could just get rid anyway!?! Xxx

kel1983
26-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Thank you guys, I'm guessing the one I've been offered for £75 immaculate with all accessories is pretty good then!! My biggest worry is the under seat bit, id be transporting slightly older ones the majority of the time so would be 2 1/2-3 yr old in the front and an 18 month old underneath.I dont have any.little little babies and the youngest is 10 months and quite robust for his age! On you opinions would p and t be suitable for these sorts of ages - or maybe just get it as a bargain n if its no.good I could just get rid anyway!?! Xxx

BUY IT!!!! Thats a bargain. Ive been trying to buy second hand ones on ebay for but they usually sell for over £200 which I cant afford.

curlycathy
26-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Definitely get it. I have one cos I had it from birth for dd - at that point I wasnt thinking of chilminding. When I started up I was going to get the doubles adaptor but someone gave me a Mclaran doubles so I used that with a buggy board. Last year though it was impossible to push with all the snow so got the double kit for P and T - we've not used the Mclaren since! It goes like a dream and its so much easier in the snow and ice.

Dont worry bout them being low down - mine fight over being low down. Yes they can reach round the mudguards so you might have to watch them but they soon learn.

MaryMary
26-01-2011, 10:41 AM
If you don't buy it, I will :D

I have heard that the older versions have a few drawbacks compared to the new ones, but I would buy it at that price! You could always save up for a newer one if you like it but find there are little niggles, and flog yours on ebay :) You would probably make a profit :thumbsup:

AliceK
26-01-2011, 10:47 AM

At present I use mine for an 18mth old who sits in the front and a 3yr old who hops in and out of the back as she needs to. It's fine, it doesn't tip and saves me having to keep swopping and changing where the 18mth old is sitting. Would DEF get it if I were you, at that price you really can't go wrong.

xxxxx

PixiePetal
26-01-2011, 10:48 AM
BUY IT! I would for that price :)

Newbie1!
26-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Thank you guys, thats it Im sold!! Theyve even offered to drop it me in for free!! Sometimes there are some nice people in the world!!! Does anyone know if you can fit a buggy board on these or am I getting a little bit too greedy :laughing: :laughing:

AliceK
27-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Thank you guys, thats it Im sold!! Theyve even offered to drop it me in for free!! Sometimes there are some nice people in the world!!! Does anyone know if you can fit a buggy board on these or am I getting a little bit too greedy :laughing: :laughing:

No I don't think you can. I got a Nipper double for my buggy board.

xxx

Rubybubbles
27-01-2011, 11:11 AM

bargin! I love my phil and teds, but have now got a out and about as well:laughing: as needed 2 seats that lie down and a buggy board! the P&T doesn't fit a board I'm afraid, believe me I have trawlled to see how I would fit one lol!

catlyn
27-01-2011, 01:24 PM
No I don't think you can. I got a Nipper double for my buggy board.

xxx

which buggy board fits the nipper please?

AliceK
27-01-2011, 01:42 PM
which buggy board fits the nipper please?

Mines a Lascal. Have to use the adaptors and it's not an ideal fit but it just about does for my 3yr old if she needs a rest.

xxxx

Newbie1!
29-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Thank you all guys, well have been and fetched my P & T's and its fab!! I am not selling it in a million years :laughing: :jump for joy: :laughing: