PDA

View Full Version : do you give leaving pressies?

newandlearning
24-01-2011, 06:27 PM
hi all..

one of my mindees is leaving tomorrow and I've got a book for his learning journal which has taken hours and money to complete..

do you give leaving pressies as well.. am thinking of just giving a choc lolly..

am I tight? am rather low in funds :)

sandy64
24-01-2011, 06:40 PM
hi it depends how long ive had them usually i will get them abook if not had that long but most of my lo ive had for many yrs so yes i would i had a boy for 12 yrs so got him a watch but theres no right or wrong and youve done a lovely learning journal with great memories and photos so thats fine dont feel bad theyl look back for yrs to come and remember the great times at your house:)

erinjane
24-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi,
I would defo give then a leaving present, maybe a book, sign by other mindees or something they can remember you by and can keep. Ofcourse it is up to you what you decide to give them xxx

Hebs
24-01-2011, 06:55 PM
yes i do and if its a planned departure we have a little party tea too

Pipsqueak
24-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes I give a leaving pressie - as well as the LJ I often do a dvd disc set to music of all their photos etc.

Pressies are normally little keepsakes or books.

curlycathy
24-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Dont feel bad - I've got a lo leaving on Wednesday and I can't afford to get much at the moment.

I've got his LJ and we are having his favourite for tea tomorrow -with cake!

Then I have been very naughty and got him a big bag of Haribo cos they are his favourite - going to hand them over at 4.31 when I stop being his childminder:laughing:

Its his birthday in a few weeks and I've already told his mum I'll get him a Mr Potato Head.

When two siblings left last year I made a big poster of photos of them and they loved it. I think if you've done the LJ thats fine - and maybe just have a nice tea/lunch?

amanda1309
24-01-2011, 08:17 PM
yes i do and if its a planned departure we have a little party tea too

I do this.
Sometimes we have 2 parties one with the childminders and their mindees who we spend a lot of time with and then one with the after school kids at my house.

AnnieM
24-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I have always got mine pressies, but what they get kind of depends how long I've had them, the 3 that left two years ago all got a build a bear each and we went to monkey business and had lunch while the moving men emptied the house. :( Usually though it is just a book which I write a special message in, or something along those lines, usually do a small photo album as well or a disc of photos. :thumbsup: We do always have a tea party if possible with cake. :D

mufftie
25-01-2011, 07:09 AM
ive not really had them leave lol as mine seem to all have gone to school and transfered to after school care

but it is something i would consider

newandlearning
25-01-2011, 07:58 AM
thanks ladies... I'm soo pathetic at the mo.. I woke up at 6 and started crying because this lil one is now leaving after 2 years with me.. he's become my kids best friend and become soo much more than just a kid who I look after and it feels sad.. :(

will have to see if I can afford to get him something nice me think x

xdirtydancerx
25-01-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't do prezzis. But at the end of last year we had a little christmas party and invited all the children I'd had over the year. I then gave them all a book with a special sticker inside saying 'Awarded to: _______ for attending Little Stars in 2010'

xdirtydancerx
25-01-2011, 08:10 AM
thanks ladies... I'm soo pathetic at the mo.. I woke up at 6 and started crying because this lil one is now leaving after 2 years with me.. he's become my kids best friend and become soo much more than just a kid who I look after and it feels sad.. :(

will have to see if I can afford to get him something nice me think x

That's not pathetic! That's lovely. 2 years is a long time. It shows you care x

erinjane
25-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, Its perfectly normal to be upset! When they are with you so long you are bount to be attached. Its the hardest part of being a childminder. Id probably make a complete fool of myself and start crying infront of the parent.:laughing: .. Im sure whatever you give him he will love xxx

xdirtydancerx
25-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah, Its perfectly normal to be upset! When they are with you so long you are bount to be attached. Its the hardest part of being a childminder. Id probably make a complete fool of myself and start crying infront of the parent.:laughing: .. Im sure whatever you give him he will love xxx

I nearly did that once! The lo was crying and said she'd miss us and I felt this lump in my throat . . . luckily managed to keep it together though :laughing:

Cammie Doodle
25-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I nearly did that once! The lo was crying and said she'd miss us and I felt this lump in my throat . . . luckily managed to keep it together though :laughing:

Well done. The last LO that left the Mum and I cried and sobbed :blush: whilst cuddling each other, neighbours must of thought we were mad :rolleyes:

xdirtydancerx
25-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Well done. The last LO that left the Mum and I cried and sobbed :blush: whilst cuddling each other, neighbours must of thought we were mad :rolleyes:

Lol. They become part of the family don't they?!

atmkids
25-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Could you maybe write a nice message in his favourite book from your house and give it to him. You could then replace the book when you can afford to and he'll have a nice reminder of his story times with you.

grindal
25-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I do not give leaving presents. I give Christmas pressies, Birthday pressies and Easter eggs for mindees (and their brothers and sisters if they have them!), make Mothers and fathers day gifts, gifts for mum and dads birthdays and christmas presents from little ones.

karensmart4
25-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Could you maybe write a nice message in his favourite book from your house and give it to him. You could then replace the book when you can afford to and he'll have a nice reminder of his story times with you.

I like that idea :thumbsup:

I've just put together a photobook for a child that was leaving (free photobook you pay for postage), and as I got as far as checkout I got a text from Mum asking to withdraw notice!

mufftie
25-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I've just put together a photobook for a child that was leaving (free photobook you pay for postage), and as I got as far as checkout I got a text from Mum asking to withdraw notice!

lol:laughing: