PDA

View Full Version : Terrorised by a 13 month old

newandlearning
24-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm beginning to feel really sorry for my 3 year old mindee.. everytime he plays with something the 13 month old tries to pull it off him or tries to pull the toy or blocks etc apart.. if he tries to play at the dining table the baby comes and pulls at his foot, leg, sock..

he has taken to asking to play on my landing or in my hallway with door shut so he can play without being bothered...

I'm beginning to feel really sorry for him.. he's being really gentle with the baby and isn't pushing or anything like that .. but is currently trying to watch fireman sam and can only do this by sitting on the highest part of my sofa...

I know its good that the lil one is being inquisitive but how would you manage this? :)

Pipsqueak
24-01-2011, 02:55 PM
the 13mo old is just been nosey and wants to play but I would deal with it by keeping the 13mo old close by and a firm no and removal but I would also be modelling the good behaviour in how to play with the 3yr old. Have 13 mo old on your lap, sharing and playing together type stuff and lots of praise for both children etc etc..

grindal
24-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Last year I used to build a barricade in the middle of my front room :blush: :blush: to keep a crawling mindee away from a 3 and 4 yr old!

DS1 and 2 often use the table when they want to keep away from mindees or will go in the front room and I will stay in the day room with the mindees.

It can be hard to stop little ones from grabbing toys and the older ones do get very upset sometimes. How about putting the little one in the highchair with some crayons for half an hour or so to give yourself time to concentrate on something with the older one?