PDA

View Full Version : What to tell current parents about new mindee starting?

Sara T
24-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I have been minding one child for a few weeks full time and have a second mindee starting tomorrow morning who will be part time, 3 days a week until nursery pick up.

What information if any do I have to tell my current parents?

I want to keep to confidentiality rules, but feel it would be nice to let the other parents know so they are not wondering 'who is this new child here with my child today?' ...and also at drop off time as it will be around the same time the other parents are dropping off ( within 5 mins of each other )

My other difficulty is that I want to tell the mum in person but as her shifts have been changed around, different family members have been dropping and collecting, so we communicate via daily diary and texts at the moment and I dont feel it appropriate to give this info by text.

What information do you give current parents about new mindees starting? and is info such as the days and age of the child enough?

Obviously their child will be in close contact with the other minded child, so I just want to make sure they are aware without giving too much information that they don't really need to know!

what do you do? and are parents funny when you take on new mindees?

all asleep in my house at the mo before lunch so using the time to get some advice before tomorrow

thanks

Sara

mamasheshe
24-01-2011, 12:26 PM
i usually say and next week we have ******** starting which will be great company for ****** that usually covers it for my parents sometimes i try and organize settling in days on the days they're days so they meet the children they'll be with x

Sara T
24-01-2011, 12:28 PM
ooh I like that one! simple and to the point!

the new mindee is the same age ( by 2 months ) so hopefully it will work out nicely!!

AliceK
24-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't say anything :blush: . I wait until the parent comes and then say "oh this is xxxxx, they started with us today". Thats it!

xxxx

desiderata
24-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I had a new one start and introduced him to parents and was greeted by one saying " You didnt ask my permission and why dont you want my child anymore!

Ali56
24-01-2011, 12:38 PM
The same as mamasheshe here. I also just let parents know we have ***** starting on whatever date, and won't that be lovely as ***** will have more company to play with and just focus on the positives-we're really looking forward to it etc etc :clapping:

mufftie
24-01-2011, 12:48 PM
i keep it simple too i just say , theres a new lad / girl starting next week and a rough age , if they ask a name i will tell them . its a good idea to tell the current mindee so they can prepare aswel

grindal
24-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I put a note in the daily diary at the end of the week before a new mindee starts. Just out of courtesy to the parent really. Would also mention it verbally, but I always make sure any parent knows that I can look after upto 3 under 5s.

rickysmiths
24-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Mine always know because they are happy for their names and numbers to be given as references. I always tell them if someone is likely to phone them.

Once the contract is signed I always tell all the parents the name of the new mindee, how old they are and what days they will be attending. I don't see this is breaking any Confidentiality, more keeping parents informed so they know how the new one will fit in with their child and who their child may be talking about when they get home.

I am delighted that all my under fives parents old and new meet socially and take the los out together. I am proud to say it is because thay have met each other through their los and me. :thumbsup:

~Grasshopper~
24-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi,

my childminder never told me anything :(. if i saw a new child i would ask what they were called and how old but thats all the info i was given and only if i asked. that was enough for me :)

xx

jane5
24-01-2011, 07:53 PM
yeah as others have said put a positive spin on it and if it was my child I would be glad that they had company.

xdirtydancerx
24-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't say anything :blush: . I wait until the parent comes and then say "oh this is xxxxx, they started with us today". Thats it!

xxxx

That's what I do too!