PDA

View Full Version : Help with a child who doesnt speak english

Muckypups
24-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I am about to start minding a child age 2 who's first language is not English. Now at the same time I will have another 2 year old and an 18 month year old.
I am quite used to dealing with 3 this age and do the usual library, ball pit, things - my concern now is that at such places as the ball pit as this child does not speak english he wont understand me when im explaining where I will be, what to do if they cant see me ( as u can imagine i cant get all 3 to stay in the same place at the ball pit they all go dofferent directions but security there is good, all exit gates locked and i always put the children in high vis jackets so i can spot them but just worrying i guess to much.
Wasnt sure if i should stick to easier to manage activities for a while first.

christine e
24-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I think you need to risk assess and then make a decision. You could approach your Speech and Language Therapist for advice on supporting the child. I have recently undertaken training for Early Language Lead Practioner and we were supplied with a Recorder Pen and Key Phrases chart to help us support children with english as an additional language.

Cx

christine e
24-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I think you need to risk assess and then make a decision. You could approach your Speech and Language Therapist for advice on supporting the child. I have recently undertaken training for Early Language Lead Practioner and we were supplied with a Recorder Pen and Key Phrases chart to help us support children with english as an additional language.

Cx

http://www.mantralingua.com/product.php?productid=16515&cat=0&page=1

mufftie
24-01-2011, 12:53 PM
i have 2 polish girls at the moment both of which didnt speak english when they started , but it really wasnt an issue its amazing how much they pick up with the tone of your voice and actions .

i actually went the extra step and learnt polish , ive had the 2 girls for 2 yrs now and im quite fluent in the language so when my 3rd polish child starts next month (18 months) ill be able to to teach him english by saying it both in polish and english which is what i do anyway in my setting when i have both english and polish at the same time .

i have an urdu (sp) speaking child aswel and i draw the line at learning that lol

candy cat
24-01-2011, 02:13 PM
get a phrase book and learn some basic works like 'stop' 'come here' 'no' 'listen' etc......or even do some flash cards with pictures and all the children can communicate.......on your toys boxes do pictures and word in both language.....you can incorperate all this in learning journal:) good luck!

Carpet Monkeys
24-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Use Makaton signs, ask the parents for key words translated into English

Muckypups
24-01-2011, 09:19 PM
The problem is the parents only want me to communicate in English. I will explain for safety reasons i need to be able to explain some things and see how that goes....Anyone know how easy Hungarian is to learn ? ha ha

i have 2 polish girls at the moment both of which didnt speak english when they started , but it really wasnt an issue its amazing how much they pick up with the tone of your voice and actions .

i actually went the extra step and learnt polish , ive had the 2 girls for 2 yrs now and im quite fluent in the language so when my 3rd polish child starts next month (18 months) ill be able to to teach him english by saying it both in polish and english which is what i do anyway in my setting when i have both english and polish at the same time .

i have an urdu (sp) speaking child aswel and i draw the line at learning that lol

tracey36
25-01-2011, 10:09 AM
i look after a romanian little girl who has just turned 1 who dosnt speak a word of english although the parents want me to help her learn i asked mom to write down a few simple basic words for me to learn like drink food hungry etc so i had a starting poin it is working ok so far

onceinabluemoon
25-01-2011, 07:44 PM
stop is megall (sounds like meh gall )

food is élelmiszer (sounds like eel eh mees airrr )

Drink is ital (it ol)

come is jon (ian like the boys name)

There are accents on the words but not on my keyboard, lol!

(Go to google translate, choose English to Hungarian and press the loudspeaker for the sound)

acorns
25-01-2011, 10:55 PM
stop is megall (sounds like meh gall )

food is élelmiszer (sounds like eel eh mees airrr )

Drink is ital (it ol)

come is jon (ian like the boys name)

There are accents on the words but not on my keyboard, lol!

(Go to google translate, choose English to Hungarian and press the loudspeaker for the sound)

Brilliant! I've just taken on a new Hungarian mindee and didn't know this existed. I've been trying to learn some words from Mum, much to her amusement (in the nicest way):) Now I can practice without feeling too silly, other than talking to myself!