PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody noticed the slight descrepency in ratios?

Ally
17-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Here's a lovely question to all you buffs on EYFS out there - Have you noticed the new ratio problem which is about to present itself to us? on page 51 of the Statutory Framework book it talks about the ratios and how a rising 5 comes into your over 5's category during TERM TIME if they are in full time education. If you then look at the last page (54) it talks about what a "Young Child" is - basically a young child is a Reception child and younger. Therefore if you have a Reception aged child during the holidays it will need an under 5 space! Do I need to expand on the consequences of this or have you all caught on? also if you have a child turning 5 during that year they will not be going into your over 5's category until they go into Yr1!!! Therefore any thoughts of taking on another child before then can fly gently on the breeze! I have put the question directly to Ofsted yesterday (I had the privilege of their presence) - she will get back to me on it. The Department for Education have failed dismally so watch this space. do not assume that the current system will be in place in September.:D

Ally:(

Twinkles
17-04-2008, 10:27 PM
There have been threads about this flying around for a couple of months. Not sure if we ever had a satisfactory answer.

Blaze
17-04-2008, 10:27 PM
There's a thread about this somewhere...we are waiting for the revision!
Blaze:)

angeldelight
17-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Yep lots of threads about this

We will just have to wait and see

Have a look around you should be able to find the threads about it

Angel xx

sarah707
18-04-2008, 06:52 AM
The answer we got back was that it wasn't changing from how it is now - it's just badly worded in the framework - I think!

Wait and see game I'm afraid! :(

Rubybubbles
18-04-2008, 07:06 AM
yep! I have been in contract with ofsted on this as my dd starts school in Sept as a rising 5 and they told me that I will be increased to 3 under 5's!! But until th paper work comes through:laughing:

miffy
18-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Wait and see or plead ignorance - it's what Ofsted do all the time

miffy xx

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Good thinking Miffy haha

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
18-04-2008, 07:31 AM
There was a big thread about this and didn't someone email the powers that be (Ofsted) and they confirmed that even if a child is "rising 5" they will still be considered 5yrs old even in the holidays - that the age of the child would remain in the 5-8 bracket.

Like Sarah said I think it is worded badly and it would be such a headache and loss of earnings for us!!!

Banana
18-04-2008, 09:07 AM
There was a big thread about this and didn't someone email the powers that be (Ofsted) and they confirmed that even if a child is "rising 5" they will still be considered 5yrs old even in the holidays - that the age of the child would remain in the 5-8 bracket.

Like Sarah said I think it is worded badly and it would be such a headache and loss of earnings for us!!!

Yes :)

xx

Pipsqueak
18-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm not going mad then 'nana???:D

Haven't seen you around for a while - how are you?

Ally
18-04-2008, 03:26 PM
It does depend on who you speak to and how you word it as far as Ofsted is concerned. Just had a look at the old threads and I see it has been heavily discussed. I know from Surrey Early years that they have an email from the top saying that this is what it will be like from September. I have tried to get Ofsted to clarify it over the phone but they didn't know and told me to call the Department for Education - guess what they didn't know either! I have since put it to the inspector the other day and she didn't know but would get back to me with an answer - hopefully not the one I expect to hear! At the moment Ofsted can't even think about EYFS as they are not fully trained up and are still quoting as if it were B2T and FS. It is something we all need to keep an eye on and report what we hear. I was actually asked to put it in our Newsletter but I have to say I didn't feel I could as I felt it could be scaremongering

Ally

deeb66
18-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Ally

I really do think this has been worded badly.

From discussions that I have had with Ofsted & Early Years I think that what it probably means is that we will have to deliver the learning and observation side of EYFS during the school holidays and that it won't actually affect the ratios.

If Ofsted have decided that it will affect the ratio's then I am sure that they will do a quick u-turn on that decision when they suddenly receive hundreds and hundreds of variation requests to cover school holidays!

BTW....did you have a good holiday?

Dee
XX

Ally
20-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes I did thank you - much needed break after 8 months of building decorating and working it was well worth it! The snow wasn't a prob either. It did stick around for the week though in Northern France!

Ally

deeb66
21-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes I did thank you - much needed break after 8 months of building decorating and working it was well worth it! The snow wasn't a prob either. It did stick around for the week though in Northern France!

Ally

Glad to hear that you had a good time Ally.

Will you be at conference on Saturday.....if not see you at meeting next Wednesday.

take care

Dee
x

Mollymop
21-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm not going to worry about it until the time comes....
or until I have some mindees! haha