PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this?

acorns
24-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I've had an enquiry for after school care from a school I don't pick up from. It's for a child in year 6, as I can't make it to the school mum wants child to make their own way to my house or for me to meet them on the way (which I could do but will mean my own DS (11) will be in on his own for about 15mins after his school finishes, don't think i can trust him 100%) Also if my own DS is late in from school i would be late meeting this child which would mean he is waiting outside some shops for me with no adult. I don't want the responsibilty for this child between leaving school and getting to my house, it's quite a long walk for a 10 yr old on his own (15mins) and am worried about what could happen, but Mum really needs AS care. I have said that if someone can bring him here I can offer the place but she doesn't know anyone. I can't see any other way around it. Any ideas & opinions? Thanks

the happy house
24-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't think I'd do it if it were me. Sounds as though it would be more hassle than it's worth. You've already tried to accomodate the mother but it's still unworkable for you. Not your fault, but there must be other afterschool care available for her to use elsewhere. Hold off for someone who can fit into your routine and suits your own arrangements better.

acorns
24-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I do find it hard to say no though when someone is desperate!

flowerpots
24-01-2011, 01:16 PM
i wouldnt do it unless mindee would be meeting me at home and then i would first meet with mindee to see how sensible he is and also to check he would feel comfortable with it.

if i did end up doing it i would get mum to sign something to say you are only responsible for the child once he gets to your house.

hth

rickysmiths
24-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't do it. To Risky by far. I would personally never agree to meet a mindee somewhere in the street. Is there not an after school club or another minder?

miffy
24-01-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm afraid I wouldn't do this either - way too much hassle, especially meeting by the shops bit - what are you going to do if he's not there?

Miffy xx

aly
24-01-2011, 06:21 PM
no i wouldnt wither, pass her number on to another cm or give her anotehr cms number.
or try www.childcare.co.uk and give that to her.

jane5
24-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I wouldnt meet the child at the shops but if the mother thought the child was responsible enough to make their way to your house I may agree to that.

He will be expected to make his own way to and from school in September when he starts secondary school and is in year 7.

If he was year 5 I would say no but in year 6 I think it depends on the child :thumbsup:

sarak31
24-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Is there any chance they can wait in the office for you until you get there? Not done it myself but I knew a childminder that did a few different schools and the children all waited outside the office until she got there - worked for them...

Chatterbox Childcare
24-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I wouldnt meet the child at the shops but if the mother thought the child was responsible enough to make their way to your house I may agree to that.

He will be expected to make his own way to and from school in September when he starts secondary school and is in year 7.

If he was year 5 I would say no but in year 6 I think it depends on the child :thumbsup:

SAme here - they need to learn responsibity. Don't forget your Independent arrival policy and letter stating that you are not responsible until they arrive.

gigglinggoblin
24-01-2011, 07:50 PM
You are clearly unhappy about your son being on his own so I would not do any of the stuff that will make that happen.

My son will be 11 in August and 2 weeks later will be doing the 30 minute walk to secondary school on his own, I am confident he will be fine to do so. At 11 I would be out for goodness knows how long on my own, its just not the done thing now but it doesnt mean children are less capable of looking after themselves. I would meet with mum, ask her about her son and weigh up if you think he sounds like the type who can do it, if he can I wouldnt have a problem with him coming to me - however I would have mum sign a policy just for them to say you are not responsible until he arrives and how you would deal with the situation if he is not at your house by x time.

If I met the child and thought he couldnt cope getting here alone I would say no, desperate or not his safety is first.

mufftie
25-01-2011, 07:06 AM
i probably wouldnt , ive taken on contracts before that were awkward and ultimately in the end its never worth it .you end up being completely stressed and putting your own family 2nd which isnt the point of childminding , good luck though as it is hard saying no to the money

acorns
25-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot everyone, thought it over and will ring Mum today. It would be handy to do as he will go to the same secondary school in september as my son so they could come home together which would make me feel better about my DS coming home. I'm happy to do it as long as he arrives at my house either on his own (mums judgement) or is brought here, as he would have to do this in september anyway, don't think I could take the stress of meeting him somewhere like the shops though and him not being there.