PDA

View Full Version : twins/variation???

Libby08
23-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I've just registered and I have a parent who really needs a childminder for her 9 month old twins, I wasn't keen at first as I don't have a huge home and I have a 2.5 year old daughter and the thought of asking for a variation for my first family seemed a bit scary!
The parent has asked if I will ask for the variation? Or take them when they are one? Now they have asked if I would consider nannying for them? They seem to really need the care and I could really do with the work!

I have two questions really......

1. How would I actually go about applying for a variation? If I call ofsted will they expect me to tell them there and then how I plan to care for twin babies etc or do I get to put this in writing? I have heard you can apply online???

2. How have you found caring for twins under 1? I have been told I don't necessarily have to have two cots, high chairs etc (as I thought I did) and that I can discuss with parents how they sleep, buggy or cot etc,

Penny1959
24-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Hello

As always it will be up to Ofsted if they allow the variation.

You have to phone them in the first place to request the variation form to be either emailed or posted to you. (Email is good as you can filled in om computer and email back)

Once they have your completed form, they may phone to discuss with you - will depend on if have enough info on form - so tell them as much as you can.

You do not have to have 2 of everything - but will need 2 of some things - such as highchairs / sit at table booster. You will need to think just how you will manage - for example if sleeping in the pushchair - have you got room for this to be up in the house?

I have just taken on twins who will be 12 months on Thurs, and in the past have cared for another 3 sets of twins. I also have twin grandsons aged 16m and although live too far away for me to childmind - I have cared for them lots including overnight from when they were just 3 weeks old (and they were 9 weeks prem) - sorry waffling - anyway I have found it is ok on the whole - sometimes can get stressful if both need a cuddle at same time - but it is just a case of being organised and thinking ahead of what you are going to need.

Hope you get your variation

Penny :)