PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to have a 2nd job when childminding?

Cazz
23-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I used to work as a bank cashier before I went on maternity leave three and a half years ago (and didn't return!)

I've been asked if I would consider going back on the books as an "on call" member of staff for my local branch. Basically it would be on an "as and when" basis mainly for sickness and holiday cover, most likely over the lunch hours.

I am considering it because at the moment I only have a mindee during school hours on a Friday. The rest of the days are before and after school. There aren't many enquiries around here at the moment and I could do with earning a little extra money if I can.

The thing I'm not sure of is if it would seem as if I'm not taking my childminding job seriously? I've already said to the manager that if I did do it, my childminding business would come first and be my priority - this would only be if it had no effect on the mindees and their families. Childminding is ultimately what I want to continue doing so I don't want to do anything to compromise this - the bank work would only be occasional though.

Also, if I do go on the books should I tell prospective parents that visit because the hours would be during the time that I say I am available for childminding? (Although as I say - I would only do it if I definetly had no work at the time). If I told them, do you think it would put them off using me?

I'm thinking that I'd have to tell my current parents because they may walk past or even come into the bank and I'd want to re-assure them that it will have no effect on my childminding service - do you think this would be a good idea?

Also, does it make things complicated for self-assessment if you earn money from somewhere else? I can't imagine that childminding and the bank work would be enough combined for me to pay tax the way things are around here at the moment!

Please give me some advice - should I consider doing it or is it a bad idea?

Minstrel
23-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I think it would be fine. I also don't think you would have to tell parents although you may wish to, purely because if it is time which you are not contracted to them ., then it has nothing to do with them. Might be different if you were 'on call' to the nursery for emergency collections and were being paid a retainer to do so.

Also tax and NI would be paid on your employed earnings so although you would add it to your SA- I don't think it would be very difficult.

Good luck

caz3007
23-01-2011, 05:19 PM
A local CM does bank at the local nursery, cos there wasnt a lot of work around last year. Not sure if she is still doing, but its down to her and as long as the bank understand that you may have to say no if they ring and need you, then why not. After all you need the money to survive and the opportunity to earn is there

rickysmiths
23-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I had a day time job for serveral years when I only did before and after school care. I did it this way because at the time it suited me and the family. None of my parents at the time commented on it it didn't affect the care I gave their children so it wasn't really any of their business.

Penny1959
23-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I used to have 4 jobs at once

My main job - childminding
my second job - childcare lecturer at local college
my occassional job - Quality assurance assessor for LA
my other occassional job - Quality First assessor for NCMA

Was a bit complicated as the 2 assessor jobs were paid per job and as such were self employment, my childminding was of course self employment but for my lecturer job I was employed

Just meant lots of different pages in my tax return - but I inform the tax office and each year was sent the right number of pages as needed.

Good luck it can work very well having another job along side childminding

Penny :)

Ripeberry
23-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I have 3 jobs at the moment, CM, evening work typing for my husband's company (2hrs a night) twice a week and weekends and a cleaning job at the local pre-school, max 4hrs a week (clean when I have the time).
As long as you are paying NI and tax and it's not affecting your CM work, then you can do what you want :)

mufftie
23-01-2011, 07:29 PM
i work for an nanny agency aswel , its mainly weekends and evenings as im full childminding at mo , i like it as it gets me out the house , i also worked at macdonalds for 12 years and had the 3 jobs going at once , only giving up maccy's when my chilminding boomed

Twinkles
23-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh you beat me Penny. I used to ;Childmind , work evenings as a receptionist , work weekends at Tesco's.

Aahh those were the days.......not !:laughing:

tulip0803
23-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I work part-time and childmind part-time. All my parents know that I do this as I was working before I reregistered with CSSIW. To me its my security at the minute as it is guarnateed income.

My tax & NI are paid and I have to fill in an employed section on my SA form which is just Gross pay from employment, gross tax paid from employment which comes from my P whatever it is from the job in April. I got a rebate of £14.98 from overpaid tax this return. But this does mean that my tax free allowance is used.

Saranotts
23-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I actually have three jobs including minding and it hasn't been a problem with the parents and whilst doing the tax return is a pain, its not that bad.

Sara