PDA

View Full Version : Mileage - can someone clarify this in normal people terms!!!

Newbie1!
22-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Hello all, have decided to allocate this weekend as "paperwork weekend" and so am bringing my books up to date. I am ok (I think!!) with the percentages of gas elec etc but am unsure as to how the mileage thing works. Do I need to be really specific e.g. 20th January collected BillyBob from school 3 miles return or can I just put January 2001 total of 227 miles...........iyswim?!?

I havent logged every single journey Ive made although can check the attendance reg to see what days Ive done what on but am really hoping I dont have to be specific as to each trip as I do about six school runs a day, each on different days each to different schools !!! :panic: :panic: :panic:

Pixie dust
22-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I keep a record in my diary on a daily basis of any milege then add them to my accounts book on a weekly basis so I have a paper trail of all journeys.

jumpinjen
22-01-2011, 07:11 PM
You should really note down the journeys that you do each day.... like you say you have them in your attendance register.... how i do my financial records is in large notebook with a separate page for each week with fees paid listed at the top if any, then each day of the week noted with any trips and the miles they took next to them, under that i record any other expenses that aren't receipted, such as playgroup fees, ice creams or toast when at the park, toys from NCT sale etc, and i then staple any receipts to the edge of the page for that week. that way i have all the info i require at my fingertips (when i give it to my accountant, he he). I also tuck yearly and monthly bills such as power, telephone bills, broadband etc into the back ready for her to calculate my allowances.

HTH, Jen.... BTW I usually add them on a daily/weekly basis as I update attendance registers and daily plans so it is fresh in my mind!

Jen x

Chatterbox Childcare
22-01-2011, 07:13 PM
For the HMRC you need to have a record of mileage.

My diary has hme-school-hme-pram club-hme-nursery-hme-school-hme etc

As long as you know where you have been and can show them how you calculate your miles it will be fine

I for one need it all written down because if they come I get tongue tied and flustered

Newbie1!
22-01-2011, 07:15 PM
You should really note down the journeys that you do each day.... like you say you have them in your attendance register.... how i do my financial records is in large notebook with a separate page for each week with fees paid listed at the top if any, then each day of the week noted with any trips and the miles they took next to them, under that i record any other expenses that aren't receipted, such as playgroup fees, ice creams or toast when at the park, toys from NCT sale etc, and i then staple any receipts to the edge of the page for that week. that way i have all the info i require at my fingertips (when i give it to my accountant, he he). I also tuck yearly and monthly bills such as power, telephone bills, broadband etc into the back ready for her to calculate my allowances.

HTH, Jen.... BTW I usually add them on a daily/weekly basis as I update attendance registers and daily plans so it is fresh in my mind!

Jen x

Thank you both guys, thats a good idea Jen but could you suggest how I could do it as I get my fees monthly?xx

Newbie1!
22-01-2011, 07:16 PM
For the HMRC you need to have a record of mileage.

My diary has hme-school-hme-pram club-hme-nursery-hme-school-hme etc

As long as you know where you have been and can show them how you calculate your miles it will be fine

I for one need it all written down because if they come I get tongue tied and flustered

Thats what I was thinking Debbie - I will get all flustered and confused too!! Think Im going to carry a mileage book in the car in future cos this is going to be a hooooge job writing all this lot down!! :panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
22-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Thats what I was thinking Debbie - I will get all flustered and confused too!! Think Im going to carry a mileage book in the car in future cos this is going to be a hooooge job writing all this lot down!! :panic:

Once you know what each trip is just keep a note and jot the acatual trip down each day. Then you can go back and calculate at any time

Ripeberry
22-01-2011, 07:30 PM
For regular journeys I make a note of the mileage using Google maps (lazy I know), then I double it for the journey there and back.
Also keep a quick reference of all the different 'outings' and mileage so that I can complete the book each month.

jumpinjen
22-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you both guys, thats a good idea Jen but could you suggest how I could do it as I get my fees monthly?xx

I get mine monthly too..... one familly pays four weekly and the other pays by calendar month so the week they pay i write 24th january 2011 fees GH £345 for example (fictional initials) and that is that!

jen x

Chatterbox Childcare
22-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Can't see why it is relevant to your income and they don't have to tally. As long as all income and all expenses, including miles, are in the accounts at the end of the year it doesn't matter.

Cammie Doodle
22-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Can't see why it is relevant to your income and they don't have to tally. As long as all income and all expenses, including miles, are in the accounts at the end of the year it doesn't matter.

That's what I was thinking too :idea:

Newbie1!
22-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry guys, what I meant was, because Jen did her incomings and outgoings weekly I wondered how to keep check of mine when I get paid monthly as I thought Id get even more confused than I am normally!! (does that actually make any sense!!!) :panic: :blush:

Minstrel
22-01-2011, 09:28 PM
It doesn't matter how often you get paid...

Think off it like your bank statement.... some things (like wages) go in monthly and others (like food shopping) go out weekly.
The two can run alongside each other.

jumpinjen
22-01-2011, 09:34 PM

I was just giving an example of how i kept all my mileage records together with all my other financial records..... see my earlier post.... I don't see the relevance of keeping them separate so do it all in one! and then i answered another question about it!

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Sorry guys, what I meant was, because Jen did her incomings and outgoings weekly I wondered how to keep check of mine when I get paid monthly as I thought Id get even more confused than I am normally!! (does that actually make any sense!!!) :panic: :blush:

Why don't you do your expenses monthly if it helps

MaryMary
23-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I usually forget to make a note of the mileage (either at the beiginning or the journey, or the end, or both! :o ). It is very rare that I remember :panic:

I make a note of the journeys I make on a weekly basis, eg in the NCMA accounts book, and work out the mileage later using google maps or similar (I live in a one-way system, so don't double it, but reverse the journey - it can make quite a difference, depending on where I am going!). If it is a regular journey (eg drop off & pick up from playgroup) I would do, for example, 'playgroup - 2.3 miles x2 x5' (there & back twice in a day for a week) and the total for that week. Other journeys I would put in individually. Most journeys are regular to some extent, so if you know where you have been, you only need to work it out once :)

Chimps Childminding
23-01-2011, 06:25 PM
. Most journeys are regular to some extent, so if you know where you have been, you only need to work it out once :)

true!! I know how far my trip to school is and also nursery, so all I have to do is check how many times each week I make the trip!!!

Anything out of the normal trips, I would set the trip thingy in the car and note down the mileage!!