PDA

View Full Version : Survival tips for the terrible two's-please help

Hayley102
22-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi

It has been about 5 years since I was last caring for a two year old and feel totally out of practice. One of my mindees has turned into a typical two year old monster - in fact he could be the child everyone has written about over the years! I am finding it very wearing and feel like I have forgotten how to deal with this period. Any tips would be gratefully recieved. Thank you

suzyblue
22-01-2011, 12:24 PM
My tip is to be FAIR FIRM and CONSISTENT.

Two year olds go through a lot of stages (I have 3 of them at the moment)
Have set rules and keep to them, allow them to control their play, letting them make choices and let them learn through their experiences (dont try to control everything) but keep to routines (dinner time, getting ready to go out etc)
Its a frustrating time for 2 year olds - I think if you remind yourself of their internal struggle with understanding the world then you wont get so stressed and hopefully things will settle down (until the next intolerable stage :D )

Mrs Pootle
22-01-2011, 02:26 PM
My tip is to be FAIR FIRM and CONSISTENT.

Two year olds go through a lot of stages (I have 3 of them at the moment)
Have set rules and keep to them, allow them to control their play, letting them make choices and let them learn through their experiences (dont try to control everything) but keep to routines (dinner time, getting ready to go out etc)
Its a frustrating time for 2 year olds - I think if you remind yourself of their internal struggle with understanding the world then you wont get so stressed and hopefully things will settle down (until the next intolerable stage :D )

Totally agree, they need you to be consistant and stick to routines so they know whats happening next.

teacake2
22-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I have got three at the moment and it is driving me mad, one will do something "silly" so the others have to do it too and so on and so on, you know what I mean.:panic: :panic:
Teacake2

mummyof3
22-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Don't plan anything!!!!! If I get my two 2yr old mindees to do an activity I've got out they prefer to roll round the floor and one demands cbeebies on instead :rolleyes: I let them have free play and find it saves my sanity!

sarah707
22-01-2011, 04:36 PM
We have a good routine including regular meals and snacks and lots of activities they enjoy like singing.

Most of the rest of the time we offer lots of free play.

We try to get them outside to run off steam every day but are finding they don't want to go out with the weather so we put their favourite music on the computer and have a dance... anything to get them focussed and moving around. :D