PDA

View Full Version : My buggies have been stolen :(

porky1979
21-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I just want to get this off my chest, I am so annoyed.
Yesterday I took both my buggies out of the boot of the car and left them at the top of my drive behind the bin as I normally do when I need the boot space. I went and did my weekly shop and when I got back they was not there. I can say I was fuming. I asked my neighbour and she said she see the rag and bone men pull up outside my house walk to the top of the drive and take them. She didn't question it as she thought they were allowed to take them??????? She know what i do for a living so why on earth would I let someone take my buggies?? I know it is my fault for leaving them out but it is my property and I should be able to leave things there. I now have to fork out for a double and single buggy, not happy at all. Just a word of advice, dont leave anything in veiw of people, nothing is safe. I have reported it to the police but as I have no number plate or anything they can not do much, I am just so annoyed by it all, I will know in future that nothing can be left in view of these people. :angry:

Lincsminder
21-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Im sorry this has happened to you but when I leave things by the bin I expect them to be taken either by the bin man, crap man or any other passer by that wants what ever I am throwing out. The best thing to do is put the items in your shed or house that way they are loocked away and safe.

Mouse
21-01-2011, 11:18 AM
How annoying :(

I wonder if they thought they were being thrown out as they were by the bin?

Why not have alook on Netmums at local sales and see if anyone's selling one cheap? You could also try Freegle as sometimes people are giving them away. You might manage to get something that would do you for now.

gigglinggoblin
21-01-2011, 11:21 AM
They are not allowed to just walk on your property and take what they fancy! Try to find their number in the directory and call them, say they were seen and you want them back, this was theft, you have a witness, dont let them just get away with it!

If the bins are at the top of your drive thats hardly the same as putting it next to them on the back alley. I would definately have the police involved if you dont get them returned or replaced, how dare they!

gegele
21-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Im sorry this has happened to you but when I leave things by the bin I expect them to be taken either by the bin man, crap man or any other passer by that wants what ever I am throwing out. The best thing to do is put the items in your shed or house that way they are loocked away and safe.

that's what i do as well.

sorry you have such a bad week end.

JCrakers
21-01-2011, 11:34 AM
i'd be absolutley fuming....:mad: Buggies don't come cheap

I'd look into it as if the bin was on your property they shouldnt have been on there. Our local council waste collectors are not allowed to go onto property to retrieve bins weekly so if you dont put them out on pavenment they dont collect...which is a pain if Ive forgotten to put it out.

Sometimes the postman/delivery guys brings parcels when i'm not in and leaves them behind the bin...I know they can get stolen but can't imagine someone thinking its rubbish??

Hope you can sort something out?? Where they travellers who collected them??

Becky

Mollymop
21-01-2011, 11:43 AM
I would be upset too! It is not your fault really as you've said it is your property so why does anyone think they can just take what is not theirs:mad: ??

My hubby, when he was little, had is bike taken by the dustbin men as he left it propped up against the bin and cos he was only little it didn't cross his mind that the bin men might think it was left out for their collection... it was collection day.. bless him (lol)

We have rag and bone men come round our way, once they knocked on our door and asked us if we wanted the washing machine that was in our back garden, I was like... how the heck did you know I had a washing machine in my garden??! :panic:

porky1979
21-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes the wheelie bin is at the top of my drive near the garage and the buggies were folded down behind it more or less hidden, when the rubbish goes out it is wheeled to the bottom of the drive on the pavement. I do not think anyone should be allowed to go on your property and take things, if it is by a bin or not. My drive is about 3 car lengths long so i do not see how anyone can mistake it for rubbish when in my area the rubbish is always collected from the path outside your house. I have learnt by it anyway, these things happen and maybe I am too trusting when really I should not be. I will never leave anything there again.
I will have a look for a second hand buggy, I do have a crime number so could claim on insurance but not sure it would be worth it in the long run as my insurance would go up if i claim. :(

mufftie
21-01-2011, 12:00 PM
i hate rag and bone men they are always nicking of my drive , im into classic cars so have car spares sometimes propped against the fence (its a big drive ) and they come and help themselves , im waiting for them to try and take one of the classics as ill be after them iff they do , bloomin cheek of them

sorry to hear about your buggies

birch24
21-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I just want to get this off my chest, I am so annoyed.
Yesterday I took both my buggies out of the boot of the car and left them at the top of my drive behind the bin as I normally do when I need the boot space. I went and did my weekly shop and when I got back they was not there. I can say I was fuming. I asked my neighbour and she said she see the rag and bone men pull up outside my house walk to the top of the drive and take them. She didn't question it as she thought they were allowed to take them??????? She know what i do for a living so why on earth would I let someone take my buggies?? I know it is my fault for leaving them out but it is my property and I should be able to leave things there. I now have to fork out for a double and single buggy, not happy at all. Just a word of advice, dont leave anything in veiw of people, nothing is safe. I have reported it to the police but as I have no number plate or anything they can not do much, I am just so annoyed by it all, I will know in future that nothing can be left in view of these people. :angry:

I know how you feel the rag and bone men came and took loads of things out of my garden including my husbands lawn mower that he uses for his gardening business!! I didn't say they could take the stuff only the rubble left at the end of the drive and he knew that!! They drove by before xmas eyeing up my daughters bike, wasn't sure if it was the same people or not. But I don't leave anything out now. :D

Ripeberry
21-01-2011, 12:12 PM

True, he might have thought they were for throwing away. :(

The Juggler
21-01-2011, 12:55 PM
How annoying :(

I wonder if they thought they were being thrown out as they were by the bin?

Why not have alook on Netmums at local sales and see if anyone's selling one cheap? You could also try Freegle as sometimes people are giving them away. You might manage to get something that would do you for now.

I would be wary if it was actually bin day but I don't think anyone else has the right to walk up your drive and take things from your bin without permission. Can you find out where they operate from hon and go talk to them maybe???

We have rag and bone men here but they always knock and ask before they take stuff

~Chelle~
21-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I bet they dont have a license to take things away either grrrr:censored:

My friend was having her back garden re-lawned and moved her kids swing set and climbing frame to under the kitchen window in her front garden, to give the men some space to work. It was hidden behind a fence and her bins and she went out one day, came back and they had been taken, again by rag and bone men!!

These people are thieves and will use the excuse " I thought it was rubbish" to try and save themselves from prosecution.

It was your property on your land and they had NO right to take it! Makes me so mad grrrrrrr

Louise0208
21-01-2011, 01:01 PM
its just usually the travellers that take metal goods around here......the travellers phased out the old fasion rag & bone years ago :(

though round here its an unwritten rule that anything left with the bins is free for the taking :D

jumpinjen
21-01-2011, 01:02 PM
i once had my double stolen as I forgot to put it away and went out.... I found one wheel on the canal towpath a few weeks later :eek:

Round my area, if things are folded up and by bins then rag and bone take them..... if buggies are 'up' then left alone as assumed owner is in the house and returning.... i think it is actually illegal to take things from people's property without permission but like police said, not much you can do now...... can you claim on your insurance?

Jen x

candy cat
21-01-2011, 01:28 PM
could try claiming off insurance? asked partner who works in insurance.....he says that if on your property then you may be lucky......BUT they may say lack of reasonable care.....worth a try though!x

zillervalley
21-01-2011, 01:30 PM
this happened to my daughter bike when she was young :angry:

hope you can sort it out with insurance

ziller

francinejayne
21-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh that's terrible. I am always leaving prams out on my front - there is one there now, I dropped my DS off at pre-school an hour ago, and I'm going back out in an hour to pick him up, so I've just left it there as I'm lazy and can't be bothered opening my garage to put it away for 2 hours when I know I need it again - but after reading this I think I might start putting it in the garage.

I hope you manage to get replacements quickly and without much hassle and for not much money too.

Poor you!
xxx

carolyn01
21-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week - I borrowed my friend's mamas and pappas buggy (left it on my property) behind a fence folded up and took the dog for a walk (20 mins). When I came back saw rag and bone man going down the road and im convinced it was them that took it!

:panic:

samb
21-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh no that is awful. I live in an upstairs flat and leave the buggy I am using that day at the bottom of the stairs - it is a communal hall way and anyone could walk in. I am having second thoughts now, but where on earth would I put them?!

gigglinggoblin
21-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Our childrens centre gives out bike locks for when you leave buggies, you can get them pretty cheap.

Ripeberry
21-01-2011, 04:12 PM
We don't seem to get any 'rag and bone' men around here. Lots of famillies leave their kids bikes lying around (well one familly does) and they don't get problems.
But then they do have some big dogs who bark like maniacs if you so much as walk past the house ;)

Pipsqueak
21-01-2011, 04:40 PM
ditto with our several Rag and Bone men - they really really annoy me. We have a very high proportion of travellers and they are the rag and bone men :rolleyes:

I was coming into the house one time and I'd left the double up at the front door. Front door wide open - literally just taken the LO's out. The bloke comes ambling over (I was behind my door and starts taking the buggy. Now bear in mind I had shopping in the baskets and a blanket on the back. I sprung out and ask him not very politely what he thought he was doing.

Since then I watch them like hawks and I take great delight in saying no you can't take that - even if its clearly rubbish.

they occasionally just amble onto my property and take stuff without asking and it really really peeps me off.

As to the OP - I am really sorry that has happened to you but unfortunately that is the day and age we live in and we just can't take the risk.

Try Freecycle, Preloved, Gumtree and of course Ebay

claire'scherubs
21-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Don't even get me started on this!!!!!! We had the scrap man knock on our door and ask for an old lawnmower that was on our drive, and I said No you need to come and see the DH.

Just after Christmas, we had piled all the rubbish outside the door, on top of the lawnmower, so it was hidden, and the scrap man came and took it without our permission, the neighbour saw it happen, and told us as soon as we got home. Well as it had just happened, (I saw the bloke driving down the road) DH went chasing after him and I called the police. The scrap man saw me, and came back and then asked:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DH went stark raving mad at him and the police insisted it was given back. So moral of the story, is NO ONE is allowed to take things of your drive, without your permission, regardless whether it was next to the bins or not!!!!!!

If it was on the path, next to the bins then that would probably be a different story.

mum2two
21-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh no - both buggies too! :mad:

I had mindess buggy stolen from the front of our house a couple of years ago. It was a big mama's & papa's pram, so didn't fold up small. We'd been for a walk, and got back anout half hour before school run. Left it up, outside our front door, hidden behind both our cars too. Went out to put him in for school run & it had gone... Horrible having to phone mum to tell her.

Luckily I claimed of my NCMA insurance, and they paid out really quickly direct to mum. :thumbsup:

xx

Helcatt
21-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I have mine chained up outside the house. I have to, I have noticed that rag n bone van go past every morning this week and last when making my early morning coffee. but then here, anything left by the front door is straight on to a path and assumed to be rubbish. Even with them chained up, I have had to stop one of these guys trying to pull one away (not realising they were locked up!)

So sorry it has happened, my first thought would be try claiming on the insurance

HX

Bridey
21-01-2011, 06:48 PM
People still have rag n bone men? I never knew that! Pikey traveler thieves is what they are called around here, I think.

A few weeks ago my friend threatened that if he didn't put his clothes away she'd give them to charity. She even put them in a charity bag and stuck them in the porch to make the threat real. Unfortunately the charity van came along and they let themselves into her porch to retrieve the bag which they could see through the window :laughing: He did get his clothes back in the end!

Zoomie
21-01-2011, 07:02 PM
People still have rag n bone men? I never knew that! Pikey traveler thieves is what they are called around here, I think.

A few weeks ago my friend threatened that if he didn't put his clothes away she'd give them to charity. She even put them in a charity bag and stuck them in the porch to make the threat real. Unfortunately the charity van came along and they let themselves into her porch to retrieve the bag which they could see through the window :laughing: He did get his clothes back in the end!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

to the OP, sorry you have lost your buggies. I often put my buggies behind my dustbins :panic:

SYLVIA
21-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Oh dear sorry to hear you lost your buggies. But I have to say you have very efficient bin men because ours wouldn't take things like buggies unless they had a £20 note stuck on them and even then they and the bins would have to be at the edge of our driveway!

jo.jo76
21-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear this happens. I am shocked. I leave my buggy on my doorstep everyday. I would never of considered anyone taking it! I didn't even know there were rag and bone men!

Louise B
22-01-2011, 12:15 AM
So sorry to hear this happened to you, it's an awful feeling that someone has taken your things. If you do claim off the insurance, I think I'd be inclined to maybe say you were in at the time, they'd been left out to put in the garage while you got the children into the house, then when you went out to move them, they'd gone. Don't admit to being out!! lol.

A few months ago, a friend donated a swing, seesaw and slide set for my garden. I don't have side access because of the garage, so it was left on the front drive, but right under the window, you couldn't even see the poles on the floor. It was there for a good few weeks, mainly hidden behind my car, and I didn't give it another thought. One morning I'd nipped to Asda and came home to find it gone! I was amazed that someone would take it, but everyone said it'd be the rag and bone man, they're always driving around here. I had some building work done fairly recently, and a couple of times I had an old radiator and other bits outside, and they came to ask if they could take it. I think this time, they took the swings because I wasn't in, cheeky b*ggers!

I'm having my garage cleared, painted and sorted out over the weekend, so I'll be stood in the front garden, guarding the stuff that's been taken out! lol.. xx

FussyElmo
22-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh no how awful some people :eek: As for claiming on your insutance whats your excess if its high might not be worth it :)

theplayroom
22-01-2011, 09:52 AM

I agree but it really annoying :(

suzyblue
22-01-2011, 12:15 PM
We were living in a flat and put our very over frosted fridge/freezer in the back communal garden (next to our shed) to defrost. The back garden gate was shut but yes you've guessed it! Rag and bone man! Grrrrr