PDA

View Full Version : holidays

madredann
21-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Hi just a quick question about how much holidays everyone has I have asked for 1 week at Feb half term 2 weeks at beginning of summer hols 1 week at end and 1 week at christmas just thoughts please

Daftbat
21-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I have just advised my custromers about my holidays - one week at the end of may, two in the summer holidays and the time off between christmas and new year.

Mollymop
21-01-2011, 08:39 AM
My holidays each year are always the same - 1 week over Easter, 2 weeks at beginning of summer holidays and 2 weeks over xmas. Works out about 4 weeks not including all the bank holidays.
I also take off a few days here and there if I need it for any reason but not often x

snufflepuff
21-01-2011, 08:58 AM
My contracts/ policies say I take around 4 weeks holiday. Last year I took less than half that amount (started minding in March) but also had Christmas off because parents didn't need me.

This year I have already 'booked' 5 days worth and will be booking more as soon as we find out about our cheapie sun holiday. Will save some days for appointments/ DS's first day at pre-school etc.

Louise0208
21-01-2011, 09:04 AM
in contract it says i have 4 weeks holiday, 17 days in april when we are off to egypt & the rest i will give 4 or more weeks notice as i dont plan that far ahead :D

moogster1a
21-01-2011, 09:05 AM
you don't "ask" for holidays! you're self employed. You inform your parents of the times you won't be available ( with adequate notice)

Twinkles
21-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi just a quick question about how much holidays everyone has I have asked for 1 week at Feb half term 2 weeks at beginning of summer hols 1 week at end and 1 week at christmas just thoughts please

Bit confused who you 'asked'.
This is your business , you are self employed. You don't ask anyone. You tell or advise them that this is what you are going to take.

Louise0208
21-01-2011, 09:14 AM
1 parent has asked me to take my holidays during the school holidays so she doesnt have to pay all day for 2 children :eek: ...the cheek

madredann
21-01-2011, 09:30 AM
This is your business , you are self employed. You don't ask anyone. You tell or advise them that this is what you are going to take.

I know what you are saying and i agree but when a parent has a problem with something I have done/asked for I always question if I am been reasonable- I asked them if they had any preferred dates and they said no I then told them my dates and they can not get 3 weeks in the summer hols I cant believe I have had to tell them all of my dates so early but it also makes me question what will they do if i am ill/if there child is ill if they have a problem with taking time off-there are 2 of them surely they can work it out between them....am I been unreasonable I have 4 of my own children to think of too

rickysmiths
21-01-2011, 10:23 AM

I agree! I am about to inform my parents in the next week of my holidays for the rest of the year. I am open to discussion and have in the past moved summer holidays by a week.

I expect my parents to take the same time off as me as this means they don't need to find alternative childcare. I actually discuss this at interveiw level. As my part of the deal |I always advise the by end of Jan beg Feb.

The fact is that all the parents have holiday and in my experience more than us, so I don't feel I have justify taking mine.

I have 5 weeks paid holiday a year.

rickysmiths
21-01-2011, 10:27 AM
I know what you are saying and i agree but when a parent has a problem with something I have done/asked for I always question if I am been reasonable- I asked them if they had any preferred dates and they said no I then told them my dates and they can not get 3 weeks in the summer hols I cant believe I have had to tell them all of my dates so early but it also makes me question what will they do if i am ill/if there child is ill if they have a problem with taking time off-there are 2 of them surely they can work it out between them....am I been unreasonable I have 4 of my own children to think of too

I know holidays can seem to be a problem but personally I never understand this with parents. If they are in a situation where they have no family close to help then surely when they decide to have children and know they will use childcare they will have to use their holiday to cover the childminders.

They have holiday to use so where is the problem? They may need to compromise a bit as well. Isn't this what we do all the time once we have children?

JCrakers
21-01-2011, 10:53 AM
I have 4 weeks..usually 1 at easter, 2 weeks in the summer and 1 at xmas.

I let the parents know well in advance so they can sort themselves out and book my hols when I decide (I work hard enough!!! and it's the only job perk we have..ie no sick/hol pay/pension/job security :) )

It would be a nightmare if I had to work around all 6 families..i would never get a break

Becky

ChocolateChip
21-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I have just given out my list for this year- a week at Easter, 2 weeks in the summer and the week between Christmas and New Year.
I have had enough of only getting 2 and a half weeks actually off, and working for quarter normal pay because one needs me but the others don't!
Think some of them will be getting a shock!

Chimps Childminding
21-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I have asked my parents to let me know if they have any holidays booked. We are not going away this year so I am fairly flexible when I have mine, so if a a couple or so families are off at the same time during the summer (as has happened the last couple of years) I may chose that week. I usually have approx 4 weeks - 1 at easter, 1 (sometimes 2) in summer and I "close" for 2 weeks at Christmas. I also don't work bank holidays.

ladybug
21-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Compared to everyone here I seem to have taken loads! But as u say we are self employed!
I have the 3 days after easter inbetween the bank hol mon and the royal wedding as this actually gets me 11 days off with all the bank hols and weekends, then 2 weeks in June, 1 week in August, 1 week in oct and 2 weeks over christmas! I have had no comments from parents and other than the week in aug and christmas am working all school hols!!!

Hebs
21-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Ive just given my holiday dates out for the coming year