PDA

View Full Version : How to make it clear I need paying on time?

pinkbutterfly
20-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I've been minding LO all this week parents said they'd pay by cheque. In the contract I ticked in advance so really expected being paid on Monday. Today was the last day of care this week as she was going out I asked her to sign the register she sort of shuffled and said 'Oh can you email me your bank details we'll do a transfer' ... I thought oh xxx you could have brought the cash today. I really don't want to have LO without being paid next week (we're still in settling in period so don't have the notice period). I don't want to sound greedy but have no clue how to word it so she gets the idea before she drops LO again without sounding nasty. I've already emailed an invoice for this and next week stating at the bottom when they are due on Monday.
I just have a bad feeling about all this. The amount is not big enough yet to pursue through the insurance but next week it will be ... don't know if I should wait or cut it now if they don't pay up by Monday.

mufftie
20-01-2011, 08:55 PM
i would email your bank details along with an invoice stating to be paid immediately or she will forfeight her place as you have a waiting list , just make that bit up as she dosnt need to know that you havnt . the threat of loosing place should be enough to make her pay

glitzygal
20-01-2011, 09:10 PM
HI, its :censored: isnt it when you expect the money on that day and it dosent come,,

make a policy,, in mine i put must be paid on LAST day of childminding, so if they dont come on friday, i get paid thursday, i put it saves you a special journey out, if you forget to pay in day.

also i would say, as its a newish contract, that when it starts properly, then please could prompt payments be made regularly as i dont want to incur bank charges when my direct debits go out, and sometimes, i may have to charge a late payments fee.

this did scare a few ,but they all are regular now,,,good luck,:thumbsup:

Siana
20-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I agree with mufftie. I ask to be paid in advance to secure their place, if she doesn't pay up I'd advertise the space. Hope you get your money soon, its a horrible position to be in.

tashaleee
20-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I always get paid in advance either by bank transfer, vouchers or cash. I will not work in arrears at all (had problems in the past, wont get caught again :blush: ). I would probably send a text as a 'gentle reminder' that all fees will be due first thing monday morning as per your agreed contract. If the parent doesnt have the money on the monday when they arrive then I would suggest they pop to the bank and come back with the money and the child and you will be happy to work then :thumbsup: The worst you can do is have worked a week and not get paid - if they get into the habit of thinking they can pay you when they want to you are going to have a lot of problems and you have to ask yourself do you need to work for a family who are going to muck you about with payments.....

Pipsqueak
20-01-2011, 09:54 PM
You are coming across as unsure yourself and it sounds like a bit of mis communication. If you are not upfront and concise surrounding this matter - it will be taken with a pince of salt by the parents.

Instead of emailing or texting - ring them and say they said they'd pay by cheque - however there are you bank details - can they arrange a transfer today please.
I would then explain that you feel perhaps you didn't explain very well but this is what you are expecting to happen

x
y
z on this date and in this manner.

Spell it out and make it clear.

Have you not taken an advance deposit that covers for non-paying eventualities?

pinkbutterfly
20-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Have you not taken an advance deposit that covers for non-paying eventualities?[/QUOTE]

I usually do ... they came on Sun to see me and signed the contract straight away. LO came Monday. I asked for deposit at the signing they said they didn't take any money with them.
I feel like a fool now ... :(

I sent the invoice again together with my bank details. If I don't see the money in my bank by 3pm tomorrow I will ring them and ask if they got the invoice and my bank details ok because the money hasn't come.

I have to say I've been really lucky with all my parents so far. They all paid on time ... even those that I know do struggle with money every month. I just hope that this is genuine forgetfulness but if they come back next week and the same happens I will say 'no thank you' for the next week.

Pipsqueak
20-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry - that sounded very judgemental of me and i didn't mean it to be.

We all fuff up and swallow a sob/hard luck/forget story. I think you need to get really tuff really quick with them and nip this in the bud. Sounds like you have a plan tomorrow - go for it:)

Spell it out to them - no money no childcare - end of.

Its a lesson learned - if they 'forget' their money now for a deposit - the contract is not signed and the space is not guaranteed.

No payment when its due then I come down quick and hard.

I work to earn money to provide for my family. Its theft pure and simple - they have taken a service for which they are not paying.

ladybug
21-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I had payment issues for ages, payment dates were the 1st but i was getting cleared funds by the 5th 8th, after a couple of months of issuing invoices and highlighting the late payment fees it still did not work, THEN i decided to put it in the weekly newsletter that goes out to all parents, advising that due to constant late payers, from Jan I will be carrying out the late payments fee of £5per day as advised in their contracts and in the Late payment fee policy they all read and signed, funnily enough everyone paid on time in january and the constant late payer has now set up a monthly standing order!!!! My advise to you is to do the same policy if you dont already have one and give to the parent monday morning to sign!, threats of extra fees soon give bums the kicks they need!

pinkbutterfly
21-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Guess what? Still no money.
Has LO today as emergency care since mum wasn't well. Told dad I need paying. He said he saw a weekly invoice I sent them but prefers to pay monthly (why didn't they say straight away?!). So sent a monthly invoice today again with Monday as a funds clear by date. I just have a bad feeling about this. If they bring him Monday they will owe enough to start proceedings via the insurer and I will not be having him Tuesday if not settled.
Never ever will I take LO without a deposit again. I will make them go home and get the cash or get a cheque book. Lesson learnt the hard way ...

The Juggler
22-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Guess what? Still no money.
Has LO today as emergency care since mum wasn't well. Told dad I need paying. He said he saw a weekly invoice I sent them but prefers to pay monthly (why didn't they say straight away?!). So sent a monthly invoice today again with Monday as a funds clear by date. I just have a bad feeling about this. If they bring him Monday they will owe enough to start proceedings via the insurer and I will not be having him Tuesday if not settled.
Never ever will I take LO without a deposit again. I will make them go home and get the cash or get a cheque book. Lesson learnt the hard way ...

hon, i would call them over the weekend and say that they either pay the fees for care to date and for the week ahead OR if they prefer for the whole month or you will not be able to provide care until they do so. Tell them your agreement was payment in advance. Say you are sorry to have to do this so early on in the contract but you feel it is very unfair of them to have put you in this position.:)