PDA

View Full Version : Updating SEF

angiemog
20-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I did my SEF a year ago and I need to do it again. Can I just add to or update what is already there or do I need to redo it completely. One of my friends is a teacher and she said she just has to add to hers.
Thanks x

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I asked more or less the same question earlier :D Been on and you can update it and sae it :thumbsup:

joannetalbot
02-02-2011, 09:39 PM
i was one of the unlucky childminders who completed her SEF within a few months of it "coming out" to then find 6 months later that Ofsted re-vamped it completely :angry: they took it upon themselves to move my text to wherever they thought it should go which then took me 2 hours to correct, not a happy CM :mad:

mufftie
02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
i did my last one , on paper a year ago , is it easier to do it online ? as im thinking of doing another one now

joannetalbot
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
i do think it's easier to do it online as personally i can type a lot quicker than I can write and when you've got lots of thoughts going around your head when your doing your SEF it's easier to get those down on "paper" quickly. Only thing I would say is to save your work every 10 minutes or so just to make sure that it's saved. When you move around the different pages on the screen its supposed to automatically save it for you but i'm always wary when they say that so just get in the habit of quickly saving it. if you do make mistakes it's easy to delete them and copy/paste so all in all i'd say do it online!:)

sarah707
04-02-2011, 10:49 AM
If you do your SEF online can I please advise that you also keep a copy on your computer.

Your SEF is too important a document to lose if you click the wrong button or the Ofsted site decides to have a silly moment.

I always recommend people do their SEF on their computer anyway because that has a spell check - you can copy and paste it into the online system when you are happy with how it reads.

Hth :D

Cammie Doodle
04-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree Sarah, I have kept a copy on my memory stick luckily as I have been on to update my SEF and guess what its not there :angry: I was very careful to save when last on, but at least I have my copy to refer to. I almost cried when I could not find it, it took at lot of hours to do. Mmm think I will need to start again on my next day off :(

Ladybird
09-04-2011, 09:11 AM
i was one of the unlucky childminders who completed her SEF within a few months of it "coming out" to then find 6 months later that Ofsted re-vamped it completely :angry: they took it upon themselves to move my text to wherever they thought it should go which then took me 2 hours to correct, not a happy CM :mad:

Exactly the same happened to me Grrrr. I do not find it easy at the best of times and especially having to re-do it:panic:

hollyberry
18-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm really confused about this 'doing your SEF' - what exactly does it mean? Is this a policy I should have or a review I have to carry out after I've been childminding for a while? I'd appreciate a bit of a clarification of what it is as I want to be sure I don't miss it out or not be preparing for it when I actually should be!!!! Thanks!

sarah707
18-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm really confused about this 'doing your SEF' - what exactly does it mean? Is this a policy I should have or a review I have to carry out after I've been childminding for a while? I'd appreciate a bit of a clarification of what it is as I want to be sure I don't miss it out or not be preparing for it when I actually should be!!!! Thanks!

Childminders in England are recommended to regularly self evaluate.

It is not compulsory but it is very good practice and Ofsted recommend you use their Self Evaluation Form (SEF).

There are copies of the blank SEF in free downloads at the top of the forum.