PDA

View Full Version : Assistants - can they have sole charge?

pinkbutterfly
20-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Had an interesting conversation with somebody who employed an assistant. I understand they can be left alone with children for short periods of time (like a school run) but can they step in if you're ill or on holiday? I thought that was a big 'NO-NO' unless the assistant becomes a fully registered childminder ....
Anybody knows?

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Had an interesting conversation with somebody who employed an assistant. I understand they can be left alone with children for short periods of time (like a school run) but can they step in if you're ill or on holiday? I thought that was a big 'NO-NO' unless the assistant becomes a fully registered childminder ....
Anybody knows?

That is correct as long as the have their First Aid and mine do a Child protection Course as well. Easy now because it is online and I feel it is important for their own protection as well as the childs.

Illness you might get away with if you were in the house with them and unwell enough to not take sole charge but able to be around. If you were actually away on holiday or so ill you could not work and be in contact with the children at all then I would say no an Assistant can not be left in Sole charge in those circumstances.

Twinkles
20-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I didn't realise assistants have to do a child protection course ?
Of course they will need an enhanced CRB check too.

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I didn't realise assistants have to do a child protection course ?
Of course they will need an enhanced CRB check too.

No Twinkles they don't have to but my husband does one because I think it is Good Practice that he does in order to protect himself and the children.

Penny1959
20-01-2011, 03:50 PM
That is correct as long as the have their First Aid and mine do a Child protection Course as well. Easy now because it is online and I feel it is important for their own protection as well as the childs.

Illness you might get away with if you were in the house with them and unwell enough to not take sole charge but able to be around. If you were actually away on holiday or so ill you could not work and be in contact with the children at all then I would say no an Assistant can not be left in Sole charge in those circumstances.

This is what I think - Assistants can only be left in sole charge for SHORT periods of time - provided arrangements are in writing and agreed by parents in advance. It actually says this on my certificate.

I don't think a holiday can be classed as a short period.

Penny :)