PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Conjunctivitus - do you exclude?

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I have had a text off a mum this morning saying that lo has conjunctivitus and can I still have her. Although there is actually no exclusion for this, I have said no, as I know it spreads like wildfire.

I ws interested to see what everyone else's views were on this - can't you tell I am feeling guilty :blush:

AliceK
20-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I would ask that mum gets some drops for LO and then as long as treatment had started I would take the child.

xxx

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Dad popped round on way back from docs - she has conjunctivitus and an ear infection bless her. Apparently she had been up most of the night crying as well!!- don't feel quite so bad now. :blush:

Louise0208
20-01-2011, 12:25 PM
my eldest daughter used to catch it quite a lot, (might have something to do with the team swimming she does) but its never been passed on but i put that down to her being old enough (6+) to know basic hygeine routines.

how old is she? as that would depend on my answer :thumbsup:

Louise0208
20-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Dad popped round on way back from docs - she has conjunctivitus and an ear infection bless her. Apparently she had been up most of the night crying as well!!- don't feel quite so bad now. :blush:

ahh well thats different, if shes not comfortable its not fair on her :(

sandy64
20-01-2011, 12:38 PM
hi my own childrens primary school do send kids home if they turn up with any sore looking eyes. i would exclude lo as there rubbing eyes touching toys other lo and yes it can spread vey fast so until treatment has started to work i will stick to my guns after all thats why r.a are in place :)

Tam's Tribe
20-01-2011, 12:42 PM
This week my 19 month old mindee has it and I have excluded and his mum understands. When I apologised, mum says it works in her favour too as she knows I will exlude others that are poorly which protects her son as well.

I used to get it alot and if I got it, I would have to shut and wouldnt earn . . . rather a few days off for the benefit of everybody!

miffy
20-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I exclude until it's been treated and their eyes are no longer gungy or weeping.

It spreads so quickly and easily and it hurts if you get it!

Miffy xx

Carol M
20-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I exclude too!
It states no exclusion on the list because this includes all schools up to High schools and the older children as Louise says,are able to control the hygiene side of it, lo's can't and it can spread like wildfire in an Early Years setting.
Furthermore I do not want it and lo's always seem to cough and sneeze in my face!!
Carol xx

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your replies. LO is only 14 months, so doesn't know not to rub her eyes, cuddle up to the other children etc. Do feel much better now dad has said that she is poorly with it :( She is on antibiotics and has drops for her eyes so hopefully will be on the mend soon bless her :thumbsup:

Mouse
20-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I know from previous discussions that I'm in the minority on this board as I don't exclude for conjuctivitus. Neither do I insist on treatment as it isn't necessary - conjunctivitus will clear up on its own without treatment, it just takes longer.

I have had it before & no one else in my family. nor any mindees, have caught it. I've had mindees here with it & it's never been passed on.

If the child was unwell & there were other illnesses, such as an ear infection, I would consider excluding then, but only because the child is unwell, not because of the conjunctivitus.

tracey36
20-01-2011, 01:39 PM
i exclude at the end of the day you have a responsibility to the others in your care to and this spreads so quickly

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I know from previous discussions that I'm in the minority on this board as I don't exclude for conjuctivitus. Neither do I insist on treatment as it isn't necessary - conjunctivitus will clear up on its own without treatment, it just takes longer.

I have had it before & no one else in my family. nor any mindees, have caught it. I've had mindees here with it & it's never been passed on.

If the child was unwell & there were other illnesses, such as an ear infection, I would consider excluding then, but only because the child is unwell, not because of the conjunctivitus.

Thank goodness Mouse! I was reading throught the posts and thinking I was the only one!

I agree with and do all you have said.

Just to add though, our GP will no longer prescribe drops or creams for 3 days because they are not necessary in the majority of cases which clear up on theie own in this time.

FussyElmo
20-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I dont exclude neither same here never had one catch it from another yet :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I was led to believe it was really infectious and was worried about other mindees catching it :rolleyes: hence the reason for refusing to have lo this morning. Didn't know about the ear infection etc. till dad called later

Minstrel
20-01-2011, 02:33 PM
My son has allergic conjunctivitus a lot (also suffers with hayfever, excema etc) and school keot sending him home. It drove me mad that they didn't believe me so i marched him into the docs one morning after they had called me for the 3rd day in a row (and DD was 5 days old!!!) to collect. Docs wrote them a letter explaining exactly what it was and to stop sending him home!

ETA - Allergic is obviously different to contagious conjunctivitus- no redness, signs of infection. They are just watery and blocked so they get very gunky.

gegele
20-01-2011, 04:20 PM
i would send a toddler home as they can rub and pass on and so on but if it was an older childi keep him as he know hygien rules/:thumbsup:

AnnieM
20-01-2011, 04:39 PM
I have never excluded for it either, I am just very careful about hygiene and watching the infected baby/child carefully. If I have to leave them (lunch, loo breaks etc.) I would put them in a highchair/buggy/playpen or take them with me, as usual, so they couldn't come into contact with other lo's. In 17 years I have never had a case of it passed on to another child. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
20-01-2011, 04:40 PM
i would send a toddler home as they can rub and pass on and so on but if it was an older childi keep him as he know hygien rules/:thumbsup:

i let a 6 year old here once when she had it, then me and both my two got it and we had it whilst we went on hols. now I dont' accept them back until the gunk is gone:thumbsup: