PDA

View Full Version : Can we do the level 2 Children & YP workforce??

acorns
20-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I've contacted my local college who are very slow in coming back to me. The tutor seemed to think that as a childminder i wouldn't be able to do the level 2 cert only the level 3 for the childrens and young peoples workforce. :confused: She said it was because we aren't supervised & something to do with one of the units where this is neccessary & asked if I would get a placement (yeah right & lose lots of income in the process!) Seems silly to me as by doing the level 2 first I thought I would have a better base to start the level 3 & some of the units in the level 2 are level 3 optional ones anyway. Anyone know any more on this?

rachel1
20-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi there,
Iv just started my level 3 in children and young peoples workforce. I was told childminders do the level 3 instead of the level 2 becuase we are our own supervisors if that makes sense? We dont have a boss basically :). So that allows us to do the level 3. They are both 2 year courses so i would reccommend just going straight for the level 3, theres a little extra work involved than level 2 but at least then your only doing 2 years and ending up with a level 3 rather than doing 4 years....?
Anyway good luck with everything, if you need any help with the course get in touch i have finished 2 units since september - its not easy but with a bit of hard work and determination you get it done and its quite enjoyable! :)
XX

xdirtydancerx
20-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Am I looking at the right course for this? The one I've found at a nearby college is:

Children & Young Peoples Workforce - Early Learning & Childcare (CACHE Diploma Level 3)

The Juggler
21-01-2011, 01:11 PM
the aim is that all childminders will have a level 3 (at some point though the date keeps moving) so you might as well do that level anyway hon. I think what the college/tutor meant was that you are in sole charge of children you should have a Level 3 whereas Level 2 is aimed at those who are under direct supervision (and therefore have less responsibility - in theory).

acorns
21-01-2011, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=The Juggler;855072]the aim is that all childminders will have a level 3 (at some point though the date keeps moving) so you might as well do that level anyway hon. I think what the college/tutor meant was that you are in sole charge of children you should have a Level 3 whereas Level 2 is aimed at those who are under direct supervision (and therefore have less responsibility - in theory).[/QUOTE

Thanks & i can see what you are all saying about the benefits of doing the level 3 over the level 2. I just don't think I can make the long term commitment on top of my other family committments. What I want to do is a qualification that shows my competence but doesn't involve huge 3500 word assissgnments and is done within a year. As an aside, i don't really see how the requirement for a level 3 can be forced onto childminders, we are not all up to studying at A level standards for a variety of reasons but remain very good childminders.

The Juggler
21-01-2011, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=The Juggler;855072]the aim is that all childminders will have a level 3 (at some point though the date keeps moving) so you might as well do that level anyway hon. I think what the college/tutor meant was that you are in sole charge of children you should have a Level 3 whereas Level 2 is aimed at those who are under direct supervision (and therefore have less responsibility - in theory).[/QUOTE

Thanks & i can see what you are all saying about the benefits of doing the level 3 over the level 2. I just don't think I can make the long term commitment on top of my other family committments. What I want to do is a qualification that shows my competence but doesn't involve huge 3500 word assissgnments and is done within a year. As an aside, i don't really see how the requirement for a level 3 can be forced onto childminders, we are not all up to studying at A level standards for a variety of reasons but remain very good childminders.

do you have to do it within a year hon. I thought it was designed to be done at your own pace - within reason?

Allie
21-01-2011, 08:19 PM
The new course should be offered at different time scales so you could do one unit stop for a while do a bit more and so on until you get enough points to finish.

If your local college wont let you do this try somewhere else, there are supposed to be distance learning options. I have been looking at doing some units even though I have level 3 and 4 because there are units that cover subject areas I haven't done before. The only problem is funding:(

Allie

acorns
22-01-2011, 09:51 AM
The new course should be offered at different time scales so you could do one unit stop for a while do a bit more and so on until you get enough points to finish.

If your local college wont let you do this try somewhere else, there are supposed to be distance learning options. I have been looking at doing some units even though I have level 3 and 4 because there are units that cover subject areas I haven't done before. The only problem is funding:(

Allie

Thanks, I didn't realise it could be done like this as this isn't offered through my local college. I did contact the NEC but it costs £1995:eek: :eek: Our local early years funded some applicants this year but again it was via the local college with a fixed timescale.