PDA

View Full Version : mindee who copies what you say

Helen Dempster
20-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi all - I have this mindee and when I try to talk to him (usually when I'm trying to explain why his behaviour isn't acceptable), he just repeats every single word I say. He does this with the other children too and it really annoys them. I find this very frustrating, cos he doesn't actually listen to a word you say to him. Do I just ignore him when he does this? What would you do?

Thanks.

the happy house
20-01-2011, 09:36 AM
It can actually be a valuable way for the child to learn speech. It also helps with memory. Saying the last word can re-inforce what he's heard and helps him to remember.
However - if this goes on long term, and if there are any other concerns (child's ability to play, lack of eye contact etc) there can be an underlying issue. Like I said, it's a valuable learning process for some children (anoying though it is!), so it's unlikely there's any other explanation for it, especially if there are no other conerns.

Mouse
20-01-2011, 09:45 AM
How old is he? Does he do the same at home?

I think it depends how old he is as to how I would deal with it. If it is a young child then I would look at why they are doing it. Are they learning language? Are they just trying to pick up on words that are being used? If that's the case I would try to ignore it & perhaps give opportunitie when he can copy you - singing rhymes etc.

If he's older and doing it to be annoying then I would be trying to put a stop to it. I'd wait for a time when he is behaving well & being co-operative. I'd tell him how well he's doing whatever it is, or how well he's behaving and how nice it is to be able to talk to him without him copying what everyone says. Assuming he is still listening, I'd then go on to talk about how annoying it can be for other people when he keeps copying them and that if he continues doing it he will be asked to sit out of the activity for a while until he can join in without upsetting people.
Alternatively, write out some rules - one of them being that he mustn't copy other people or the sanction will be X. Send it home with him and ask parents to discuss it with him.

Helen Dempster
20-01-2011, 06:19 PM
How old is he? Does he do the same at home?

I think it depends how old he is as to how I would deal with it. If it is a young child then I would look at why they are doing it. Are they learning language? Are they just trying to pick up on words that are being used? If that's the case I would try to ignore it & perhaps give opportunitie when he can copy you - singing rhymes etc.

If he's older and doing it to be annoying then I would be trying to put a stop to it. I'd wait for a time when he is behaving well & being co-operative. I'd tell him how well he's doing whatever it is, or how well he's behaving and how nice it is to be able to talk to him without him copying what everyone says. Assuming he is still listening, I'd then go on to talk about how annoying it can be for other people when he keeps copying them and that if he continues doing it he will be asked to sit out of the activity for a while until he can join in without upsetting people.
Alternatively, write out some rules - one of them being that he mustn't copy other people or the sanction will be X. Send it home with him and ask parents to discuss it with him.

He's 4 (5 this year, Aug) and he just seems to do it to annoy people! He laughs randomly to himself too :huh: and you just CANNOT talk to him, he just does not listen. He's a strange little boy, bless him.

Louise0208
20-01-2011, 06:43 PM
i know i shouldnt say it but it would drive me mad :blush: ....id have to take myself for a time out lol

on a serious note though i remember watching a programme about a special needs boy that did it 24/7 .....for the life of me i cant remember what he suffered with :(

onceinabluemoon
20-01-2011, 07:45 PM
He's 4 (5 this year, Aug) and he just seems to do it to annoy people! He laughs randomly to himself too :huh: and you just CANNOT talk to him, he just does not listen. He's a strange little boy, bless him.

In what way is he strange?

Have you ever heard of echolalia? Is it possible the little one may not be doing it on purpose? Echolalia is a normal part of leanring speech but if prolonged can be an indicator that the child may need some additional help.

I would have a chat with the HV about it if you are concerned, you don't have to name the child if you would rather not. x

Dragonfly
20-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Children do that to me because they know i dont like it:laughing:

MaryMary
20-01-2011, 08:01 PM
In what way is he strange?
Have you ever heard of echolalia? Is it possible the little one may not be doing it on purpose? Echolalia is a normal part of leanring speech but if prolonged can be an indicator that the child may need some additional help.

I would have a chat with the HV about it if you are concerned, you don't have to name the child if you would rather not. x

Echolalia is quite common with autistic spectrum disorder. Does he show any other signs? (eg lack of eye contact, lacking in social skills?)
Does the school have the same problem?

Maybe you should be having a word with the parents.

Good luck :thumbsup:

happydays1
21-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi i think you should have a chat with mum to see if he does it at home, does he do it all the time? would deff think about a referral if he is doing it all the time to speech and language service and you would need permission from parents.:)

The Juggler
21-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I think so to. V. young children will often use this as a way of learning speech. Is his speech delayed. I did have a 4 year old once who did it but she did have learning difficulties. I don't think he is probably doing it to annoy you.

I think you need to note your concerns with mum about it - esp. if he does it at home too.