PDA

View Full Version : What type of storage do you have?

vix84
19-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi everyone, currently on maternity leave but keeping popping back in to try to stay up to date to any changes so when I return Im not in for a big shock!

So after Christmas we have lots of extra toys etc. so I have put a few bits in DS1's room, but Im just wondering how you all organise your resources and what storage you have?

I went to a childrens centre today and quite like the units that have sliding trays and boxes. I already have an ikea 2 shelved unit where some plastic boxes go nicely, and then some of the cheap argos fabric bucket type units.
But I know it has been mentioned about sticking photo's on the boxes of the resources, but I only have a few boxes which have all matching objects in like puzzles, lego, bricks etc. So I dont think the big boxes would be any good as it would be all odds and sods, but was thinking of the classroom style sliding trays would be good. Id also love one of those dressing up clothes organisers but I think the ones I have seen are just so expensive!

Can anyone recommend anywhere that sells them cheaply?

kel1983
19-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I picked up an Ikea Trofast unit from a carboot sale for £20 :clapping: It has different trays/boxes in it. All my toys are stored away in the spare room. I live with my parents so try not to have everything lying around in the evenings.

In the mornings I usually select a few trays/boxes and bring them downstairs.
Its a brilliant storage unit. Can't wait to get to Ikea and get another to go long side it.

vix84
19-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I picked up an Ikea Trofast unit from a carboot sale for £20 :clapping: It has different trays/boxes in it. All my toys are stored away in the spare room. I live with my parents so try not to have everything lying around in the evenings.

In the mornings I usually select a few trays/boxes and bring them downstairs.
Its a brilliant storage unit. Can't wait to get to Ikea and get another to go long side it.

wow your parents are fab. letting you mind from theirs will all the chaos that comes with the job lol, ill have a look online :)

catlyn
19-01-2011, 08:43 PM
i've just been to ikea tonight and bought some of the trofast boxes and lids ...around £4 each I think...also some smaller ones to fit on top. they had some sturdy cardboard boxes in clearance for 50p so I got a few of those as well...they will do for crayons and pens etc...only went for storage but couldnt resisit the cute little hand puppets for £2.50...got a pig, elephant, sheep and shark...LOL

Louise0208
19-01-2011, 08:44 PM
as i dont have a spare room to store my toys & i like my house to still look like a house, i have steered away from the nursery/childrens furniture look (stack boxes, trofast etc) instead i have a large buffet/sideboard that matches my ikea furniture. (6 drawers, 3 shelfs with straw baskets & 2 large cupboards + room to slide the wii-fit board, train track etc underneath)

catlyn
19-01-2011, 08:51 PM
ooh I like the sound of that large sideboard thing.....must have another look in ikea :D

kel1983
19-01-2011, 08:59 PM
wow your parents are fab. letting you mind from theirs will all the chaos that comes with the job lol, ill have a look online :)

Yes definately have fab parents. I needed a job and this seemed the perfect option. I love the job and so far my parents have been very supportive. My mum became registered at the same time as me and is hoping to give up her preschool job to join me at home minding.

I just need to ensure that the house looks like a home during the weekends so storage is very important. I have been talking to my dad this evening about haing a clear out in the shed and having shelving out there with plastic storage boxes and lids. So just need a nice weekend now.

miffy
19-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I've got some Ikea trofast too - I love it! Shame they're phasing it out :(

Miffy xx

kel1983
19-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I've got some Ikea trofast too - I love it! Shame they're phasing it out :(

Miffy xx

Oh no!!

Will have to go buy some more soon then

catlyn
19-01-2011, 09:35 PM
NOOOOO.......I havent got enough yet....how do you know its being phased out??

Noomie
19-01-2011, 09:41 PM
DH keeps telling me to talk to the scout hut down the road and open up there! I try to keep our house our home but it is difficult. It increasingly stresses us out what to do with all the toys / resources.

kel1983
19-01-2011, 09:42 PM
DH keeps telling me to talk to the scout hut down the road and open up there! I try to keep our house our home but it is difficult. It increasingly stresses us out what to do with all the toys / resources.

My dad keeps telling us to do that too.

flowerpots
19-01-2011, 09:48 PM
ive just bought the stuva units from ikea, they look fab in my playroom and fit soooo many toys in :clapping:

Doofuz
19-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I am looking into the LACK shelving units - I plan on fitting a couple of toy boxes in and some books and puzzles on the lower shelves. This thread is interesting though, the TROFAST is coming up popular, if it's phasing out, I might have to go and get some just in case ;)

AnnieM
19-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I love my TROFAST too, I have the stepped unit, the long low unit and the tall shallow unit, I also have one of the APA toy chests and the fabric book sling with plastic boxes underneath from argos. I have a large pine dresser in the dining room which is used for games and jigsaws with happyland displayed on the open top part. :thumbsup:

cheryl6880
20-01-2011, 12:40 PM
iv just moved and i have an outside storage cubboards and 2 inside ones but only one of the inside ones im allowed to use