PDA

View Full Version : FROG SPAWN

butterfly
19-01-2011, 06:09 PM
When does frog spawn start to appear? Also does anyone know if I could get some from anywhere to have in my setting?

It would be lovely to have some close at hand for the children to study. I want to rear butterflies as well with a set I have. Does anyone know which flowers particularly attract butterflies?

Dragonfly
19-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Our frogs spawn mid to late February onwards.
Budlea trees are brillant for butterflies.
I have brought privet hawk moth cacoons from www.worldwidebutterflies.co.uk
they do lots of butterfly eggs etc have a look.

sillysausage
19-01-2011, 07:22 PM
We don't usually see any frogspawn until late March to mid April but I'm in the north

Cammie Doodle
19-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh our kids loved this last year, I better get the "pond" ready , it kept them intrigued for months, spawn, tadpoles and then frogs . I have a set of Frog life cycle models too for the kids to see next stage

miffy
19-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I think frogspawn appears from late March depending on the weather. Best to try and find a friend or neighbour with a pond!

Miffy xx

JCrakers
20-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Think we collected in March last yr.
We watched them grow into frogs, it was amazing...i was so sad to see them go when we let them go in the same pond we got them from.... :(

Becky x

MaryMary
20-01-2011, 08:08 PM
My mum used to do this with her kids at school :)
I wish I could do the same, but my DH has a frog phobia & I think he would freak!!:eek:
I am going to stick to butterflies, ants and maybe some stick insects :laughing:

francinejayne
21-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Think we collected in March last yr.
We watched them grow into frogs, it was amazing...i was so sad to see them go when we let them go in the same pond we got them from.... :(

Becky x

where did you keep the frogspawn?

I would like to do this, I don't have a pond so I was thinking I would get a plastic fishbowl that I could put it in - would this be OK? do I need to do anything with it at all? Sorry for sounding daft, I don't want to kill it!

butterfly
21-01-2011, 02:34 PM
where did you keep the frogspawn?

I would like to do this, I don't have a pond so I was thinking I would get a plastic fishbowl that I could put it in - would this be OK? do I need to do anything with it at all? Sorry for sounding daft, I don't want to kill it!

when i was teaching we used to put it in a fish tank