PDA

View Full Version : MPLC licence??

SamBaker
19-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Ok so I've just sent off for my data protection thingy,now I find in my focus magazine that I need a licence to put a dvd on and pay another fee!!! Does anyone else have one, as fast as I'm earning it I am spending it again so that I can work!!

Rubybubbles
19-01-2011, 02:37 PM
eh????

I was told it is still not a legal requirement to have the data one! only last MOnday:panic: by the NCMA!

no idea on the dvd??

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 02:41 PM
There was something about this in another thread yesterday. May I ask who publishes your Focus Mag?

I'm going to mention this to dh tonight he will know. I wouldn't have thought we would have to because we are not open to the public as such, it is our home people do not wander in and out the way they do in a pub or shop and although the parents are paying for a service its not the same as going to a disco or such.

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 02:43 PM
eh????

I was told it is still not a legal requirement to have the data one! only last MOnday:panic: by the NCMA!

no idea on the dvd??

Well our NCMA DO came to our cm group yesterday to give us a childrens digital camera. We can't use it unless we sign a log to say we are registered with the ICO. ! Even if we delete the pictures.

SamBaker
19-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Kent county council

Donkey
19-01-2011, 07:40 PM
mplc is like the prs I made yesterday

:(

SamBaker
19-01-2011, 08:02 PM
mplc is like the prs I made yesterday

:(

Yes that's it, this was advertised in the magazine saying if you show dvd's or videos then you must have one of theseand pay an annual fee! You have to ring for a quote, no standard fee. Hmmmmm.

MaryMary
19-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Sounds dodgy to me! :mad:

Rubybubbles
19-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Well our NCMA DO came to our cm group yesterday to give us a childrens digital camera. We can't use it unless we sign a log to say we are registered with the ICO. ! Even if we delete the pictures.

ah yet again eh;) consitancy

miffy
19-01-2011, 09:42 PM
eh????

no idea on the dvd??

Well that's not what they are saying on their website :rolleyes:

http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Kent county council

Husbands response. MPLC is a Motion Picture Licencing Company

He has just had a look at their web site and it would appear that if you are a business and charging for entry, want to show a DVD you have to register and pay a fee. Someone has surmised that Childminders charge their parents so they are a business so they should pay and register.

Educational establishments are exempt as long as the material shown is linked to the Ciriculum. I would therefor argue that we are the same and as long as anything we show is linked to our 'Ciriculum' EYFS and the 6 areas of learning and Every Child Matters then it might be hard for them to include us.

The other unhelpful thing is that you have to ring them to find out the fees.

I would be inclinded to forget it. I will raise the question at our NCMA East Region Forum meeting in a couple of weeks (29th jan) and see if anyone has heard anything.

Of course you could also contact the Focus Magazine and ask them for their feedback and perhaps you could let us know.

manjay
19-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Well that's not what they are saying on their website :rolleyes:

http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

Miffy xx

Madness! Do they think the Data Protection Act is not a legal requirement?:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 09:52 PM
eh????

no idea on the dvd??

I don't think it is a Legal Requirement but if something went wrong we might be in trouble if we were not registered.

SamBaker
20-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Husbands response. MPLC is a Motion Picture Licencing Company

He has just had a look at their web site and it would appear that if you are a business and charging for entry, want to show a DVD you have to register and pay a fee. Someone has surmised that Childminders charge their parents so they are a business so they should pay and register.

Educational establishments are exempt as long as the material shown is linked to the Ciriculum. I would therefor argue that we are the same and as long as anything we show is linked to our 'Ciriculum' EYFS and the 6 areas of learning and Every Child Matters then it might be hard for them to include us.

The other unhelpful thing is that you have to ring them to find out the fees.

I would be inclinded to forget it. I will raise the question at our NCMA East Region Forum meeting in a couple of weeks (29th jan) and see if anyone has heard anything.

Of course you could also contact the Focus Magazine and ask them for their feedback and perhaps you could let us know.

Thank you for that, just sounds a bit dodgy especially not having a standard fee, yes I might give FOcus a call, normally magazines will just say that they do the advertising but not really have anything to do with the company don't they just to cover themselves I think.