PDA

View Full Version : Word of Warning

Helen Dempster
19-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone, hope you're having a good week.

I read somewhere on here that we don't have to get parents to sign our attendance register, that it's not a statutory requirement, but it is good practice. I stopped asking them to sign mine, as I kept forgetting anyway and they were always in a rush etc, so I thought that was good, one less thing to have to worry about, I won't do it (I still put all the times in for each child and sign it myself). Anyway, my NCMA co-ordinator came round yesterday and she checked all my paperwork etc and asked how often I get the parents to sign the register :eek: She was very good, didn't tell me off (much!) but did tell me of a recent case she knew of where something had happened to the mindee while not in her care and parents were trying to say otherwise - the police/courts were involved too. Luckily for the childminder, it was proven that she was telling the truth, but now I understand the importance of getting the parents to sign the attendance register.

Just wanted to let you all know (the ones like me who stopped getting them to sign).

cherry
19-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Thank you for that :thumbsup:

grindal
19-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for that - I always ask parents to sign every couple of weeks or so, but to be honest I think they could be signing anything for me at the end of the week.

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you for that. I have always said on threads where this comes up that it is good practice. It protects you if ever there is a dispute about hours charged for and it is amazing what parents forget! It is also a Child Protection issue as you have highlighted.

I have never had a problem getting parents to sign and yes sometimes it slips a week or two.

As a side point I always get them to sign the back section of my accounts book as well so they are confirming what they have paid me each month.

Beetlejuice
19-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you for clarifying that. I had stopped because an OFSTED INSPECTOR told me it wasn't needed!:rolleyes: I will be doing it again from now on!

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that - I always ask parents to sign every couple of weeks or so, but to be honest I think they could be signing anything for me at the end of the week.

Its up to them to check what they are signing but I know what you mean. :laughing:

The Juggler
19-01-2011, 02:22 PM
thanks for the warning.:)

teacake2
19-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I get the person who drops off or collects to fill the time in that they have done this and sign it so they can't argue with this because they have done it. I know it might not work if going to school etc, but it might be useful for others who don't do this.
Teacake2

Ripeberry
19-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Ofsted told me it was not required, but I put it in their daily diary, when they arrived and when they left. Also my invoices show the hours used from the previous month.

keeks
19-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I get the person who drops off or collects to fill the time in that they have done this and sign it so they can't argue with this because they have done it. I know it might not work if going to school etc, but it might be useful for others who don't do this.
Teacake2

This is what I decided to do when I was starting up after Christmas. I made individual registers and made a point of asking all parents to please sign. The first day I reminded them all and it worked a treat. Then I've been getting caught up in chatting to parents, comforting babies, finding lost teddies etc at collection time so I've forgotten every day! :blush:

But I have filled in the times and will ask them all to sign from now on. Honest. :o

xx

nokidshere
20-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't bother now because I don't work during the day and my hours are only 3pm to 6pm. Its also very rare that anyone is collected early. I do put in my diary though if the child is going somewhere else other than to mine after school.

gegele
20-01-2011, 10:53 AM
:blush: my attending record are a shamble!!!! i tried different tactics but i'm rubbish at it!!!:blush:

and the fact that my parents are always regular within 5min each way it's complesent.... need to found a tactic that works!!!:blush:

miffy
20-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the warning Helen.

I don't get the parents to sign my register although I do keep accurate records of when the children are in my care (including signing them in and out when they are at playgroup).

Ofsted were happy with this at my last inspection so I'll stick with that. After all schools do not ask parents to sign their registers.

Miffy xx