PDA

View Full Version : Visitor's Book??

tash1508
19-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi All,
Just a Quick question for everyone!
Was just thinking when Ofsted come to do my pre-reg visit, should I be getting them to sign in the visitors book when they arrive??
Wasn't sure if I should or not?
:confused:
Thanks everyone,
Natasha x

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 11:59 AM
This is my home! I keep a record of anyone who visits when I am minding, the times they are here and who they are. They do not sign. No visitor would ever be left alone with the children so the Risk is very low anyway.

butterfly
19-01-2011, 12:11 PM
definately get them to sign. you will score points for safeguarding.

Mouse
19-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't have a visitors book. If we have anyone come to the house I write the details in the register. That way it's easy to see which children were here at the same time as the visitor.
My safeguarding policy states that I will never leave children unattended with other people. Following that is what keeps the children safe, not having a name in a visitors book.

If you do use one though, definitely get the inspector to sign it. What's the point of having one if you only get some people to sign in & out?

EDIT: sorry, just realised that you said it was for your pre-reg visit. In that case, no you don't need it signing as you're not actually registered. If you are going to use one, it would be handy to have to show her what you plan to do.

Mrs Pootle
19-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't have thought they would need to sign-in if it's your pre-reg visit as you are not minding yet & so won't be working when they come iyswim. When they come for your inspection once you are registered they will come on a day you are working and so I would definitely get them to sign-in that day.
I only ever keep a record of visitors who arrive on days/hours when I am working and therefore have minded children in the house.

linda2girls
19-01-2011, 01:04 PM
No, not for your pre-reg as you won't have any mindees there!!!!

LucyatMCM
19-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Ladies do you make parents sign in and out when the they are picking up/dropping off?

mrsoliver
19-01-2011, 01:38 PM
As Childminders we don't need a visitor's book - although the attendance register is a useful way to do it if you want to.

You need to show how you safeguard children - mine is I don't have visiotrs/ tradespeople when I am working.

mrs_scottydog
19-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't get the inspector for your pre reg visit to sign it as it only needs to be signed if you are working and the mindees are actually in your care.
You will however need to get the inspector for your Inspection visit to sign after you're registered.

LucyatMCM - you don't need to get the parents to sign at drop off and collection times.

Hope that helps.
Hx

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 02:28 PM
definately get them to sign. you will score points for safeguarding.

How so? I can't see how getting a signature will Protect the children in your care one jot. The fact that they are not left alone with any visitors is far more important surely.

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Ladies do you make parents sign in and out when the they are picking up/dropping off?

No why would you need to do that?

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 02:32 PM
As Childminders we don't need a visitor's book - although the attendance register is a useful way to do it if you want to.

You need to show how you safeguard children - mine is I don't have visiotrs/ tradespeople when I am working.

I have friends who come over and I do have tradesmen come if the heating breaks down for instance, meter readers, window cleaner, gas service engineer once a year. A plumber who came to fix a faulty joint on the plumbing to the boiler just after Christmas. Gosh I wouldn't survive if I wasn't allowed visitors!

Chatterbox Childcare
19-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I have friends who come over and I do have tradesmen come if the heating breaks down for instance, meter readers, window cleaner, gas service engineer once a year. A plumber who came to fix a faulty joint on the plumbing to the boiler just after Christmas. Gosh I wouldn't survive if I wasn't allowed visitors!

I am the same - I have a book and I record the information but I can see the point that if the person doesn't sign then we could make it all up so is the book worth the paper it is written on?

Mouse
19-01-2011, 04:38 PM
How so? I can't see how getting a signature will Protect the children in your care one jot. The fact that they are not left alone with any visitors is far more important surely.

That's what I always say. People say 'it's to safeguard the children', so I say 'how exactly?' :rolleyes:

tash1508
19-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Thats why I love this forum! Lots of helpful advice and opinions!
Thanks everyone, I wont get them to sign for pre-reg visit but i will show her that I have one and get them to sign in when they come for my inspection visit!

Just need them to hurry up and come do my pre-reg now!:eek:

Bye for now x

CHUNKY MONKEY
19-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Don't get her to sign but ask to see ID regardless of it being a pre reg. I scored highly by doing this, she was very impressed:D

Louise0208
19-01-2011, 05:18 PM
i was supplied one by my DO (along with all her recomended paperwork iv never used) but have never used it :p

Doofuz
19-01-2011, 07:07 PM
At nursery we are required to have any visitor sign in as part of the safeguard policy. Whether it is worth it as it doesn't physically protect the children or not, I still plan on having the book there for the lady to see I intend on signing people in when I am minding. If you were to sign her in on your pre-reg, she isn't going to mark you down on it, or think it is over the top - if anything, she would be impressed. But seeing as it doesn't matter, I think what you plan to do is sufficient and she will see how thorough you will be when registered.

amanda1309
19-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I have 1 signature in my visitors book, Mrs O when she last came a knocking :laughing:

My DH only works 3 weeks in every 5 so all the jobs get done in his 2 weeks off and i stay out of the house.

TinyTinker
20-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I was told to get parents to sign their kids in and out everyday at my ICP course!:o

If only to cover yourself in the chance of a dispute over hours. like reviewing their contract if they continuously drop off early and pick up late etc.

Also handy for fire drills etc

mrs_scottydog
20-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I was told to get parents to sign their kids in and out everyday at my ICP course!:o

If only to cover yourself in the chance of a dispute over hours. like reviewing their contract if they continuously drop off early and pick up late etc.

We have to fill in an attendance register for each child. i get the parents to sign it at the end of the week.
The visitors book is different and is for people who visit while you're working eg. tradesmen, inspectors etc.
Hope that helps. Hx

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 02:09 PM
At nursery we are required to have any visitor sign in as part of the safeguard policy. Whether it is worth it as it doesn't physically protect the children or not, I still plan on having the book there for the lady to see I intend on signing people in when I am minding. If you were to sign her in on your pre-reg, she isn't going to mark you down on it, or think it is over the top - if anything, she would be impressed. But seeing as it doesn't matter, I think what you plan to do is sufficient and she will see how thorough you will be when registered.

One of the reasons an Institution like a Nursery will be required to have a Visitors book is so they know how many and who are on the premisis if the is a reason to evacuate say for a fire. It would be quite possible for a situation where not all members of staff are aware of who is in the building.

As childminders in our own homes we will always know exactly how many and who is in our home and the childen would never be unsupervised by me or my Registered Assistant. Therefore there is really no comparison between the to places of work.

I can see absolutley no reason whatso ever why we need to record who comes, never mind get them to sign. I do record if a tradesman comes in, I wouldn't dream of asking my sister, dad, MIL to 'sign in' to my home.

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 02:11 PM

This is why I get the parents to sign the register each week. Even I couldn't cope with everybody signing stuff every day :laughing:

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I am the same - I have a book and I record the information but I can see the point that if the person doesn't sign then we could make it all up so is the book worth the paper it is written on?

THis is it, but what real purpose does it serve anyway?

I don't see it as a Child Protection tool because I protect them by not leaving them alone with anyone who may need or be invited to come into my home during minding hours.

margaret
20-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I have never had a visitors book ,we live in a home not a nursery ,surely you know who is in your house at all times,any tradesman that comes to house is in my diary and have to show id before entering and are never left with children.Why make paperwork for sake of it.If firedrill in progess whilst extra family ,friends there just jot their names down.Tell ofsted and dos this ,were not superwomen ,or are we.

sweets
20-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I have never had a visitors book ,we live in a home not a nursery ,surely you know who is in your house at all times,any tradesman that comes to house is in my diary and have to show id before entering and are never left with children.Why make paperwork for sake of it.If firedrill in progess whilst extra family ,friends there just jot their names down.Tell ofsted and dos this ,were not superwomen ,or are we.

exactly! more daft unneccessary paperwork if you ask me! We have homes for goodness sake , i am not going to log whoever comes in and out, i only let in people i want in!

i think i would feel embarrassed and stupid getting tradesman etc to sign in.

Louise0208
20-01-2011, 04:01 PM
i have one.....my ICP course recomended it.......never used it! lol :laughing:

candlequeen
07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
The inspector on my pre-reg visit asked if I had a visitors book she needed to sign. I hadn't even heard of it before!

Blackcat
07-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi All,
Just a Quick question for everyone!
Was just thinking when Ofsted come to do my pre-reg visit, should I be getting them to sign in the visitors book when they arrive??
Wasn't sure if I should or not?
:confused:
Thanks everyone,
Natasha x

I did :D and it really impressed her as did asking to see her ID

rickysmiths
07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
The inspector on my pre-reg visit asked if I had a visitors book she needed to sign. I hadn't even heard of it before!

Yes but what real purpose does this serve? you check the ID of the Ofsted Inspector, you wouldn't let anyone in your home if you didn't know them or where they were from anyway let alone leave your minded children alone with them. This is keeping them safe not having a visitors book!