PDA

View Full Version : Previous experience/qualifictaions?!

smithya85
17-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Hello,

Im filling out my application form to become a childminder to send to the care commisiion (I live in Scotland) and it asks about previous experience or qualifications to support your application to become a childminder. I have none!! :( I have a daughter but she is only 8 months so that doesnt cover experience of older children. Anyone else been in the same boat? Will it go against my application?

Amy :(

Twinkles
17-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Did you never do babysitting as a teenager, have you never looked after family or friends children ?
You are a mother and that is good experience.

MissTinkerbell
17-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't worry. Although I've got a nursery nursing qualification and a teaching degree, I learnt far more, being a mum. That's the best qualification you can have. I've got 3 people on my ICP who have had no background in childcare other than being a mum - 2 were accountants and 1 was an estate agent.

samgeordie
17-04-2008, 03:36 PM
don't worry as a mother you have all the experience that is required and you don't have to have qualifications. I have a degree but not in childcare (food science and nutrition so at least i can go on about a balanced diet:laughing: ). I had pre-registration training planned, a first aid course and a child protection course when i sent my application off, so just put i was going to be doing these courses and also looking to do some kind of qualification in the future.

littlesprogs
17-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I had nothing to put down at all i'm not even a mum so had no experiance whatsoever but i am now a registered childminder so no it wont go against your application

tulip0803
17-04-2008, 03:40 PM
When I registered with OFSTED in 2001 I had no qualifications except some work experience when at school 13 years before and being a mother. I said I would be doing trianing and they were happy. I have now moved to Wales and the box on the CSSIW form was not big enough for my training. I filled another A4 sheet. There is plenty you can do starting with the ICP course and then following on.

miffy
17-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Like the others have said being a mum is good experience

I'm sure you won't have any problem with it

Good luck

miffy xx

deeb66
17-04-2008, 04:28 PM
The only experience I had was being a mum

I didn't have a problem

angeldelight
17-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Agree with everyone else

just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

fionamal
17-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Good Luck.

Being a mum was enough experience for me also.

Jinx
17-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I remember a friend talking about a parent helping at preschool. She said this lady had done really well considering she was 'Just a Mum'!!!! Needless to say this friend had no kids of her own at the time and I soon put her in her place. There is no such thing as being 'Just a Mum' we are all much more than that, ie: counseller, taxi driver, nurse, educator, nutritionist, mediator. etc. This friend had nursery nurse qualifications but she struggled like the rest of us when she had kids of her own. In my opinion there is NO better experience available to be a childminder than being a MUM. :thumbsup:
(I'm not saying that you can't be a great childminder without having kids of your own.):o
:D :D :D
Jinx x

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Hello,Im filling out my application form to become a childminder to send to the care commisiion (I live in Scotland) and it asks about previous experience or qualifications to support your application to become a childminder. I have none!! :( I have a daughter but she is only 8 months so that doesnt cover experience of older children. Anyone else been in the same boat? Will it go against my application? Amy :(

Okay am not in Scotland but england so not sure how things differ but will give you an example of my hubby. I am registered and had worked in childcare as a nanny for 20 years before registering as a childminder. I have no children of my own.

Hubby is in process of registering and with no children of our own the only experience he has in cnildcare is by default with the children I care for. Ofsted have registered him if all other checks are okay. So it is possible so din't worry about it and I am sure that by now many others in the same situation have replied to you.

smithya85
18-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Thank you everyone!! I feel alot more possitive about filling in my form now! Its reasuring to hear all your experiences and advice! I'll keep you posted on how I get on! :)

Amy

Lottie
18-04-2008, 01:33 PM
You'll be fine. The only experience I have had is being a Mother and that's the best experience of all.

ma7ie
18-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Same here. Don't even think I filled that part in.:D