PDA

View Full Version : Who to give learning journey to??

cel0908
18-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi,
This may be a silly question :blush: , I know when children leave us to go to school we pass on their learning journey to the school. I've just had notice from an after-schoolie who is nearing the end of the EYFS stage anyway, so should I give her learning journey to her teacher or her Mum do you think? She is going to after school club - do they have to do obs aswell?
Thanks

Happy Bunny
18-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I have always passed the learning journal on to the parent, mine states at the front that although the learning journal remains most of the time at my home it remains the property of the parent.

cel0908
02-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I was lead to believe that the idea was that all carers and teachers of the child share information about the childs progress, (with parents permission), so that their individual needs can be met as much as possible ?

Anyway, Mum and Dad looked through it and I passed it onto the teacher, she said it was the right thing to do as it would "enhance" their own learning journey for the child, and at the end of the EYFS (31st Aug following 5th birthday) all of it gets given back to the parents for them to keep. I remember being given something at the end of foundation for my own children but it was nowhere near as detailed as the learning journeys we do now. Just thought I'd let you know what I decided to do incase anyone has the same dilemma.

Pauline
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Although you need to share it with school and give them information about the child's development, I wouldn't hand it over for them to keep because you also need to keep it updated with your own observations until 31st August after the child is 5

After that point I still keep them and add photos and information so that the parent can still see their child progressing - nothing as detailed as EYFS and no formal obs but more for the fun of the child sharing with their parents what they are doing with us.

If they leave you before the end of EYFS I would give it to the parents. :)