PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Selsey,West Sussex?

dobby
18-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi folks, i am doing some research on behalf of a friend. She is moving down to Selsey in a few months and is thinking of becoming a childminder. She has lots of good skills and I think she would do fine. But she is sensible enough to want to first get an idea if there is any demand for childminders in the area and also what the going rate is for childcare in that neck of the woods.

So far our googling has only turned up 2 CMs (are you on here??? :) )and 2 nurseries and little about hourly rates.

Any advice from my west Sussex colleagues??

Ta muchly :)

AliceK
18-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry don't know about childminding down there but we're going there on holiday. It's lovely. Love West Wittering. Wish I was moving there.

xxxx

sophiestars
18-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi I live in Chichester which is the nearest town to Selsey. It's on a peninsular (about 6 miles from chichester) so business would probably come from people who live in Selsey. There are definately more than 2 childminders in Selsey and a few nurseries! The going rate seems to be about £4 an hour.
Not sure how business is down there but I know a couple of childminders who are in the Witterings (villages a bit further along the coast but still about 6 miles from Chichester) who sometimes find it hard because people don't tend to travel FROM chichester to drop off as they are probably working in chichester or further afield and there are a limited number of families in the village.
However, saying that, Selsey is one of the more affordable places to buy a house in the area so is popular with young families.
Have you tried looking in the West Sussex county council FIS (Family Information Service) - all the local childminders should be listed there.

dobby
18-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks folks, Alice they fell in love with Selsey as they have a caravan there!:) Moving out from Central London once the finances are all sorted:)

We had a long chat on Sunday about the pros and cons of childminding, and one of the things we discussed was the possibility of limited work due to lots of seasonal trade and its location.

I found her the numbers for West Sussex early years to call so hopefully she will do her research before maiking any big commitments. She has done alot of work in Retail too and another possiblilty was doing something like this http://www.kidplaycafe.co.uk/p1.htm