PDA

View Full Version : 'Minders dont get good or outstanding on first grading'

Louise0208
18-01-2011, 12:34 PM
My DO has just called & is coming out to make sure i have everything in order before my first grading in the next few months.

i broached the subject about me only have 3 part time mindees (1 in early years) & the early years one is only here 1.5 hours per day & would this cause a problem with my grading as chances are they both wouldnt be here at the same time as i have to pick her up from school etc

DO's words were 'it doesnt matter as a CM wouldnt get good or outstanding on there first graded inspection anyway'

is this true?
have put in A LOT of work with my LO (learning journeys, obs, planning etc) even though i have since found out i neednt have as shes less than 2hrs

:(

marnieb
18-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Unfortuantley, i think it depends on the insepctor, and i do think there's some truth in it.

I worked my butt for my inspection, and only got Satisfactory. The things she told me that needed 'actions' were a load of cr*p, and i think they were things she went looking for to stop giving me a better grade - i.e. I needed to ensure all the plants in my garden were non-toxic...err............how can i do that??.. make sure I have all the dates in my 1st aid box marked clearly.

nothing at all imo that meant I didnt at least deserve a Good.

Oh, and anything she remakred on what needed work or what she liked I told my cm friend when her inspection was due what she needed to do, and she got outstanding.......... :censored:

guest2
18-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi

I can'tanswer your question am interested what other have to as I have two children who attend two pm's per week for an 1hour each day! I too have put the efort in and would be dissappointed if my hard work wasn't recognised!

Goatgirl
18-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi,
This lady doesn't sound very good at her job! Isn't she supposed to be supporting you?!

I got a good on my first graded inspection. ... I have heard you can only get satisfactory if there are no children present for the inspector to observe your interaction though..

Good luck, sounds like you've worked hard and I'm sure the inspector will see this.

I'd point out the times you have LO when the inspector calls (they'll probably ask) to arrange the inspection and she/he'll probably arrange to come at that time. They didn't bother coming to me at all for ages as I only had older children.

bws,
Wendy

caz3007
18-01-2011, 12:48 PM
When I was last inspected I only had 2 part time EYFS children and lots of after schoolies. The inspector actually gave me the day she was coming so it could co incide with times when I had children here. I was only due to have my one youngest LO who slept most of the morning, but I swapped a day with the other one so that he was here too

funemnx
18-01-2011, 12:51 PM
My best friend got outstanding 1st time - she spent a year before getting children, making absolutely sure all her paperwork was spot-on. It's possible! :)

mama2three
18-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Im sure it does depend on the inspector to some extent , and I know that there is an ofsted publication which suggests that childminders have not been minding long enough to gain outstanding by their first inspection. I have heard others who have been told this , but thank heavens it didnt stop my inspector from grading me on what she saw rather than how long I had been minding.

kel1983
18-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I got good in my first graded inspection. I only had 1 part time child at the time and the Ofted lady came to me after lunch so only got to see me interact with the child for about 20 minutes as she ws due nap.

I have seen loads of people on here get good in their first graded inspection.
Thats not very nice of you DO to say that to you.

butterfly
18-01-2011, 01:03 PM
What rubbish! I was graded as outstanding in EVERY area of my first graded inspection 7 months after I started minding. What's the point if inspectors are going in with only unsatisfactory or satisfactory in mind? All cms around here were graded either good or outstanding at their first inspection - stay positive and hope that you get an inspector who will see the work you have put in. If you sound like you know what you're doing then this will be taken into account.

mama2three
18-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Maybe if this DO was supporting newly registered minders fully , more of them would be gaining good and outstanding ratings at first inspection!!

Pipsqueak
18-01-2011, 01:13 PM
The DO is talking utter rot. And I think she needs some lessons in supporting minders.

I think there is a train of thought that its harder for new minders to gain this grades because the experience is not there however, given the level of support that should be available then it is not unobtainable.

IF an inspector came into your home and said that - I would be asking them to leave and complaining to Ofsted because that inspector has already pre-judged and is not being fair or unbiased. That would be discrimination.

With regards to your DO - tell her! oh and by the way - the support she gives you is NOT gospel - you can take or leave the information. Providing you have done what is required of you then a-ok

gigglinggoblin
18-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I got good but the inspector did say usually you would expect satisfactory. If you have put the effort in they will see it, I think satisfactory is what you get if you havent had much support or input from ofsted / do / training etc. If you get nervous then doing your SEF can be a big help, I was told she knew I would be getting better than satisfactory just by reading it and as my brain went completely to mush when she walked through the door I was very glad I had done! Use it as an opportunity to sell yourself and tell them how fab you are.

Marshmallow
18-01-2011, 01:56 PM
:panic: I totally agree with everyone else.
I have only been minding for 9 months, never even worked with children before.I started childminding as a career change :clapping: never looked back.
I have just been inspected and got good in all area's ? :blush:

Worry not,:blush: just be yourself :jump for joy: and good luck, let us know how you get on.

:group hug:

singlewiththree
18-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I got a good with 2 outstanding elements in my first inspection so ignore her

theplayroom
18-01-2011, 02:05 PM
My best friend got outstanding 1st time - she spent a year before getting children, making absolutely sure all her paperwork was spot-on. It's possible! :)

I got good on my first inspection with some aspects of outstanding! and i only had one child that day its all in the talk adn the paper work......good luck

grindal
18-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I also got all goods for my first inspection! Had only been minding for 3 months and mindee was leaving at the end of the week. I got very little notice of my inspection though - a phone call at about 5pm and a visit the next day at 9.30am

Louise0208
18-01-2011, 02:11 PM
thanks folks....minds at ease now :blush:

is there any way i can change my DO? iv only known her for 6 months & to be honest shes a real pain in the harris!
i had all my learning journeys, contracts, risk assesments checked over by my ofsted inspector who said everything was spot on......but my DO said they wasnt worth the paper they were printed on & wanted me to do everything post-it note & scrapbook style (im a neat freak & sooo organised so this wouldnt suit me at all!)

she also told me to keep evidence of what the children have done instead of taking photos of the models, paintings etc.....like iv got room for that!!

I stupidly sold the gorgeous lounge fire i had due to my DO, it was never used but looked lovely at christmas:blush: , it wasnt even plugged in but DO told me i had to put an ugly huge fire guard on it ........ this was also the same DO that told me i shouldnt allow kids into my kitchen AT ALL even though its registered :rolleyes:

I might just ignore her calls from now on!

Penny1959
18-01-2011, 02:29 PM
For goodness sake - DO's like this should be sacked - they need to get their facts right! (and as many of you know I was a DO up to end Feb this year) the things I read on here about DO's makes me mad

Suggests she reads some Ofsted reports - maybe mine (don't mind giving you my EY number if you pm me) I got outstanding at first graded (as did many others on here) and I had only been minding for 2.5 months before inspection.

Penny :)

grindal
18-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Its a shame your DO is like this - mine is lovely, but my word she can talk! I think i know more about her family and her recent holidays than she knows about my childminding practices!!

FussyElmo
18-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I dont whether or not you would be able to swap DO's as most areas now are cutting back or doing away entirely.

However remember that your Do is there only in an advisory postion and you dont have to do what she says. Mine regularally(sp) tells me to post it note my obs as it would be easier but I too like them to be neat :blush: and now she just laughs.

miffy
18-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Sadly I think there are some inspectors who will not (no matter what) give outstanding on a first inspection.

Thankfully there are some who will.

If you feel you deserve outstanding then go for it - grade yourself that and then let the inspector tell you why they don't think you've made the grade - challenge what they say.

I don't think your do is being very helpful or encouraging.

Miffy xx

phoebe-alice
18-01-2011, 06:55 PM
How awful. :angry:
Can't believe how people can be sometimes, thank goodness I got a lovely inspector even though I'm graded by the care commission I got very goods all round on my first inspection.
Can't believe she would even state that, don't let it get to you though. If that is the frame of mind she is in she is not even looking at your full potential.
Big hugs from me.

Ripeberry
18-01-2011, 07:04 PM
What rubbish! I was graded as outstanding in EVERY area of my first graded inspection 7 months after I started minding. What's the point if inspectors are going in with only unsatisfactory or satisfactory in mind? All cms around here were graded either good or outstanding at their first inspection - stay positive and hope that you get an inspector who will see the work you have put in. If you sound like you know what you're doing then this will be taken into account.

Ditto, the same for me, not only outstanding but the first (new minder) to get outstanding in the whole county! I must have broken the mould as since then three others (new minders) have got outstandings.

It can be done and has been done. Believe in yourself and make them believe it too :thumbsup:

SamBaker
18-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I got 'GOOD' on my first inspection couple of weeks ago!! I have been minding one afterschoolie since November and took on a 9month old and his older sister 2 days before my inspection. She said even though I had been miunding a short time I had done all my paper work amd showed that I had a good relationship with the baby even though he had just joined me.
Please don't worry (or listen to the other lady, I can't believe some of the things she told you!!) just do what you know best!! I havn't even met my DO or even know if I have one lolol!
Good luck I'm sure it will go brilliantly! :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
18-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I was registered in August, graded in March and got Outstanding in all areas.

So it very definitely is possible or my certificates are a figment of my imagination, lol! :laughing: :laughing:

nokidshere
18-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Just another example of how inconsistant both DO's and Ofsted are:angry:

Its wrong and makes my blood boil - and DO's like her need sacking!

marnieb
19-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm wondering if it's because I had my inspection only 3 weeks after I started minding - some of you seem to have had your kids for a few months and then had yours????

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
19-01-2011, 09:10 AM
hi i got told this on my childminding course but when i have my first inspection i was over the moon as i got good in every area, i would ignore what was said to you.

Helen Dempster
19-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I got 'good' on my first inspection, so I would mark HER 'poor' on both correct information and support! :angry:

sfox2003
19-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I got satisfactory on my first inspection. However the inspector clearly had decided what to grade me before she arrived & gave me that grade because it was my first inspection (and she actually said that), she certainly did not grade me on what she could see.

My DO & I picked holes in her conduct & report and put it in all in writing. OFSTED null & voided my grade & re-inspected. Im pleased to say I was awarded a good in all areas, which was a much fairer grade I felt for the dedication, extra effort & work I put in.

So Im sad to say that there is a minority of inspectors who arrive with the idea that a new minder cannot receive a hight grade than satisfactory.

Good luck though, just be yourself & dont be afraid to 'big yourself up', show the inspector how good you are.

Toothfairy
19-01-2011, 04:58 PM
As others have said, it all depends on the inspector.
I got GOOD on my 1st graded inspection and OUTSTANDING on my 2nd.

I know a couple of CM's who got OUTSTANDING on their 1st inspections.

mummyof3
19-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I was graded good in all areas for my first inspection :D

What a very negative comment from your DO she could put a lot of people off doing the job with comments like that!

mamasheshe
19-01-2011, 07:34 PM
i think it's unusual to get outstanding in your first inspection. but i just got graded good :cool: