PDA

View Full Version : Holiday entitlement/fees

Bev
17-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I currently offer 2 weeks in summer (or whenever) and 2 weeks at xmas (when im closed). A parent thought this wasnt enough holidays, but i do not charge anything when a child is on holiday. If i gave anymore allowance i would be out of pocket for more weeks.

Do you think i should review my holiday policy and offer them 4 weeks anytime a year + 2 weeks at xmas when im off. But charge parents?

Do you charge 1/2 price or a set weekly holiday fee?
Do you charge for your personal holidays? (i currently dont)
Do you charge if you take xmas off?

ANy help would be apprectiated.

deeb66
17-04-2008, 01:38 PM
No I wouldn't....you are far too generous as it is

It is your business and entirely up to you how much holiday you take a year.

I only tell parents that I have a guaranteed 2 weeks in the summer but should I wish to take anymore then I will give them plenty of notice.

I charge full fee's for their holidays

I do not charge anything for my holiday

HTH

son77
17-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I think you already have very lucky parents!

I dont charge for my holiday which is usually about 4 weeks a year.

Parents get 2 weeks at half fee then any other holidays I charge them the full rate & they can take off as much time as they like (the more the better for me!!).

Put your foot down as do as YOU see fit.

ma7ie
17-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I think you're being generous too. My mindees can have 4 weeks at half fee then full fee after that. I don't charge for my holidays.:D

Twinkles
17-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm the same as dee. I don't get paid for my holiday 4 - 6 weeks ( depending on how poor I'm feeling.)
But if parents want to take holiday other than that they pay full fees.

Bev
18-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Right thanks for the advice, so if i want to change my policy to 1/2 fee for holidays but give them 4 weeks instead of 2 how do i go about that?

Can i just change them anytime by writing a letter to parents? Not sure how to go about it, obviously give them notice of the change? Ive got a new start only been with me for 2 weeks, seems a bit cheeky to get the contract sorted only to go and change the holiday entitlement so soon.

Sorry for more questions!

jaja
18-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi

I charge full for them and none for me, i have two weeks of at christmas and a week near june if i am not too busy! I do get parents complaining but when i asked if they would pay me for my holidays and not theres they said no, i even suggested paying me half for both mine and theres and that didnt suit, stick to your guns. When i change anything on my contracts i fill in a form stating what is changing and the parent has to sign a copy that i keep and then they recieve a copy too, i always give four weeks notice of any change. Good luck:)

jen

xx

Pipsqueak
18-04-2008, 12:40 PM
No I wouldn't....you are far too generous as it is

It is your business and entirely up to you how much holiday you take a year.

I only tell parents that I have a guaranteed 2 weeks in the summer but should I wish to take anymore then I will give them plenty of notice.I charge full fee's for their holidays

I do not charge anything for my holiday

HTH

The bit that I have put in bold on your post is good Dee - think I may use that actually. I have been putting 4 weeks for my leave - unpaid but then a parent wanted my dates for the year of when I was taking the holiday - which I could do up till June but after that it was impossible (due to hubs works and our racing season).
I always say that I will give as much notice (preferably 4 weeks) when I am taking time of.

tulip0803
18-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't charge for mine but their holiday is full fee cos that's what the other minders do round here. We are trying to be a bit more consistent with rules etc.

I used to charge 2 weeks for them at 1/2 fee any more full fee when I used to mind

deeb66
18-04-2008, 07:08 PM
The bit that I have put in bold on your post is good Dee - think I may use that actually. I have been putting 4 weeks for my leave - unpaid but then a parent wanted my dates for the year of when I was taking the holiday - which I could do up till June but after that it was impossible (due to hubs works and our racing season).
I always say that I will give as much notice (preferably 4 weeks) when I am taking time of.

I have found that it works really well for me as i am not forced into having to sort all my dates out at the beginning of the year.

Have to admit that parents annoy me about holidays at times.....I understand that they want to know as soon as possible so they can make arrangements but they wouldn't like it if they had to submit every holiday date to their employer at the beginning of the year.....

so why they expect we should have to do it amazes me.

As I usually book my summer holiday quite early i give them the dates as soon as I know.

Any other holidays i try to give at least 4 weeks notice.

buildingblocks
18-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't charge for my holidays but charge full fee for their hols. I also ask if they will give me notice for their full week holidays so I don't waste time planning for their child if they are not going to be there and most of mine are really good in that respect.

This is what my handbook says
Childminders Holidays/Sickness/Occasional Days off
NO FEE will be payable for our time off. Please remember that we cannot fit our holidays in with the holidays that you take as it just is not possible. (Please remember that at any one time we could have at the least 6 or more different families on our books). We have to take our holidays when we are able to go.

We may take up to 5 weeks holiday a year. At least 3 of these will be full weeks, one of which will usually be between Christmas and New Year (depending on when this falls). We will aim to give you these as soon as possible into the New Year once we know what weeks Gary has got off from work. You will not be expected to pay for these weeks as we are unavailable for work (see Closure of Setting Policy).