PDA

View Full Version : Low-syn snacks (or calories or points or fat)

Tatia
17-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Let me hear your great ideas for snacks, please.

I am eating a Hartleys low-calorie jelly at the moment, only 1/2 syn a pot. Our consultant gave some out at group on Tuesday. I'm not a huge fan of jelly but the cranberry/raspberry flavour is really nice (what I'm eating now). Sill a slight back taste of sweetener but it's not putting me off and I loathe artificial sweeteners.

Tatia
17-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Ah rats. I messed up topic title. Meant for it to read "Low syn snacks" but forgot the snacks. Can a mod fix that for me, please?

I have my own forums and am used to doing all the admin stuff myself! It's strange having to ask for help, hehe.:thumbsup:

ajs
17-04-2008, 01:24 PM
does the morrison's chocolate chip cookie count as a low syn snack then

what forums do you have tatia i have never joined any others as this one takes up so much of my life

Chell
17-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I read somewhere the other day that mini milk lollies are very low in calories.

nell57
17-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Let me hear your great ideas for snacks, please.

I am eating a Hartleys low-calorie jelly at the moment, only 1/2 syn a pot. Our consultant gave some out at group on Tuesday. I'm not a huge fan of jelly but the cranberry/raspberry flavour is really nice (what I'm eating now). Sill a slight back taste of sweetener but it's not putting me off and I loathe artificial sweeteners.

When they gave Hartly jellies out on Wed at the class I go, there was'nt enough for everyone so they had to raffle them off And I was the only one who did'nt get on:(

Helen

nell57
17-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I do like Walls twister lollies might get some next time i go shopping, the mini version are 2:5 syns

Helen

angeldelight
17-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I am wondering what forums you have Tatia ?

Angel xx

ajs
17-04-2008, 05:47 PM
i asked her that and she's ignored me too
:clapping:

Tatia
18-04-2008, 06:20 AM
:blush: No I didn't! I just...errr...forgot. I'm lame that way.

Am PMing you both.:D

custardcream
18-04-2008, 07:05 AM
In the evening I sit and snack on carrot sticks dipped in laughing cow cheese triangles, its lovely.
I am also intrigued about your other forums??

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 07:06 AM
That sounds yummy custardcream

Angel xx

Banana
18-04-2008, 09:12 AM
When I need chocolate I have a curly wurly. They are only 6.5 syns and if I havnt had any syns all day I will allow myself one of these - but only if I havnt had any others syns at all in the day.

jelly - im not a big fan of it but might give it a try

x

Tatia
18-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Oooh, I forgot. After 8s are only 2 syns for each square. If you can turst yurself to have a box in th house and only eat 1 or 2 a day, you'd be okay. But they're big on flavour. mmmm...drool...after 8sssssssssssss

Tatia
18-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Nell just reminded me in another post that 30 gram bags of Ryvita minis any flavour count as a Healthy B choice. Sweet chili are really nice and helps me with my crisp cravings.

deeb66
18-04-2008, 03:07 PM
When I need chocolate I have a curly wurly. They are only 6.5 syns and if I havnt had any syns all day I will allow myself one of these - but only if I havnt had any others syns at all in the day.

jelly - im not a big fan of it but might give it a try

x

When I did SW couple of years ago I used to eat these.......

Have you tried putting them in the freezer.....takes longer to eat :D

I used used to put grapes in the freezer too.....they were really yummy and felt like I was eating sweeties!

Banana's in the freezer also works well.....as do yoghurts.

buildingblocks
18-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Banana's in the freezer also works well..

Doesn't she get upset (sorry couldn't resist that one)

nell57
19-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Doesn't she get upset (sorry couldn't resist that one)

:laughing: :laughing:

You girls always put a smile on my face

Helen

nell57
19-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Nell just reminded me in another post that 30 gram bags of Ryvita minis any flavour count as a Healthy B choice. Sweet chili are really nice and helps me with my crisp cravings.

Thanks Tatia will try those, also got some curly wurlys in the fridge but not been tempted yet:littleangel:

Can i ask you as well, I have just done green days this week, but a freind whose doing SW said you should alternate the orig/green days. is that right and is that what you do?

Helen

Tatia
19-04-2008, 07:11 AM
You don't have to alternate. You can do whatever days you like. I used to do green during the week and red on weekends. Now, I've done 2 weeks of straight red and lost 5 pounds. Either way should work but I think it's about finding out what is better for your own body. Whilst I love my carbs and do crave them, I need the protein from meat so it's been better for me.

Banana
21-04-2008, 12:57 PM
This is deliciuos!

You know the raita dip you get tp go with curry, well i made my own low fat one.

Fat free natural yoghurt (pot of)
8 slices cucumber (about the thickness of a pound coin)
Teaspoon dried/fresh mint
3 Garlic cloves

Crush garlic, chop cucmber into tiny squares, add to yoghurt, then add the mint to your required taste. Great with a home made fat free spicy curry (which i have been having a few of)

also - fantastic to used as a dip for jacket wedges on a green day. (im having these tonight after my weigh in - totally free, i'll feel like im being naughty though :D

xx

nell57
21-04-2008, 02:28 PM
This is deliciuos!

You know the raita dip you get tp go with curry, well i made my own low fat one.

Fat free natural yoghurt (pot of)
8 slices cucumber (about the thickness of a pound coin)
Teaspoon dried/fresh mint
3 Garlic cloves

Crush garlic, chop cucumber into tiny squares, add to yoghurt, then add the mint to your required taste. Great with a home made fat free spicy curry (which i have been having a few of)

also - fantastic to used as a dip for jacket wedges on a green day. (im having these tonight after my weigh in - totally free, i'll feel like im being naughty though :D

xx

This sounds delish, will give it a try

Someone is making a sample of garlic dip using that Quark stuff for everyone in class to try on Wed, not had that before so curious what its like.

Helen

Banana
21-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I made the chicken kiev recipe in the magazine and used the quark for the filling - wasnt anything special in that but the quark on its own is like a bitter philidelphia - its ok, but not great! would prob be good as a base for a dip though!

x

nell57
21-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I made the chicken kiev recipe in the magazine and used the quark for the filling - wasnt anything special in that but the quark on its own is like a bitter philidelphia - its ok, but not great! would prob be good as a base for a dip though!

x

Probably disappointed in it then cus I love Philidephia

Helen

Tatia
21-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Banana, I've made a similar dip to the raita you describe but left out the garlic and in addition to cucumbers, I also added green grapes (chopped in half), shredded carrot and teensy bits of broccoli and instead of mint, used chopped coriander. It was gorgeous. I used to have it for breakfast. mmm. Gonna have to make some more.

Banana
21-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I like experimenting with all the different things you can make!

its cool

x

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 02:57 PM
What does quark taste like ?

Angel xx

Tatia
21-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Like c*ap if you ask me.

Banana
21-04-2008, 02:59 PM

x

Its not great!

xxxx

Tatia
21-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to hit submit yet! I had intended to add a smiley to that comment! Like :D

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Sounds horrible ha

Angel xx

Eagles4ever
02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi, hope you don't mind if I join in. I've been going to SW for 5 weeks and so far have lost 12lbs.

One of my fave snacks is dry roasted chick peas on a green day. Just draiin the tin and put them on a baking tray for about 20 minutes, then sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper or whatever flavouring you fancy.

Yummy.

Sue x

Banana
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi, hope you don't mind if I join in. I've been going to SW for 5 weeks and so far have lost 12lbs.

One of my fave snacks is dry roasted chick peas on a green day. Just draiin the tin and put them on a baking tray for about 20 minutes, then sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper or whatever flavouring you fancy.

Yummy.

Sue x

well done on your weight loss - thats a fantastic acheievment!!

Monday will be my 5th week weigh in so im looking forward to it, i've lost 8.5lb so far so would like a bit of a bigger loss this weigh in!

Might try that idea with the chickpeas, thanks!

x

deeb66
02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Well done Sue.....you have done rally well....keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I think you have done really well Lana.

I know the weight hasn't gone as fast as you would have liked but all people are different....some loose it quicker than others.....I know this is frustrating.

I am really proud of you though because despite feeling a little deflated at times you have stuck with it and persevered.....so well done you.....I think you are a star :thumbsup:

Banana
02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Well done Sue.....you have done rally well....keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I think you have done really well Lana.

I know the weight hasn't gone as fast as you would have liked but all people are different....some loose it quicker than others.....I know this is frustrating.

I am really proud of you though because despite feeling a little deflated at times you have stuck with it and persevered.....so well done you.....I think you are a star :thumbsup:

:blush: :blush: :blush:

ahh, you getting me al embarrassed lol

Thanks

x

Eagles4ever
02-05-2008, 12:04 PM

Yummy.

Sue x

mrsb
06-05-2008, 11:37 AM

x

I've made these before but I crushed some garlic into some cheese triangles fro mmy healthy extra a and put them in the middle then wrapped it in lean bacon :) Sin free if you count the cheese as your healthy extra and they are seriously yummy :D

mrsb
06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
These are some of my fav low sin/sin free snacks :D

Vegetable Samosas

Syns per Serving | Green – 1 1/4 Syns
Servings | Makes 8

Ingredients
- Fry Light
- 300gm (10½oz) diced swede
- 100gm (3½oz) diced carrot
- 4tbsp peas
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 2tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 large sheets filo pastry, each sheet 28gm
- salt & freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4.

2. Using a non-stick pan sprayed with Fry Light, fry the vegetables for about 5 minutes until lightly cooked but still retaining a little “bite”.

3. Take off the heat and add the seasonings. Stir well, and divide into 8 equal portions.

4. Take a sheet of filo & divide it in quarters lengthways. Spray with Fry Light. Place a spoonful of filling at the end of a length of filo. Bring one corner over the mixture and then roll the pastry up in a series of triangle shapes until you are left with a small flap of pastry. Spray again and place with the flap underneath the samosa on a baking tray.

5. Repeat with the remaining filo and vegetables.

6. Spray the tops of the samosas with Fry Light, and cook in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and crisp

For the mixed bean ones just get a tin of mixed beans and fry them lightly with some garlic then do the same as above.

I found I did need a dip with these as they are quite dry so I just got some extra low fat fromage frais and mixed in a bit of curry powder

Syn-Free Onion Bhajees

Syns per Serving | Green – Syn Free
Servings | 4

Ingredients
- Fry Light
- 3 onions, sliced finely
- 1 heaped tsp curry powder
- 400gm can chickpeas, drained
- fresh chopped coriander

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / 425F / Gas 7.

2. Using a non-stick pan sprayed with Fry Light, fry the onion and curry powder for about 10 minutes until very soft and brown. Set half of the mixture to one side.

3. Add the drained tin of chickpeas to the other half of the onion mixture and process using a food processor or hand blender.

4. Add the reserved half of the onion mixture and some chopped fresh coriander, mix well and shape into balls. Put the balls onto a try or into a bun tray and cook until golden brown.

I found this a bit sloppy the first time I made it so I just added some plain cous cous to the mixture which firmed it up a bit

Cous cous cake

Mincemeat (the fruit one not the meat one) cous cous cake

4oz cous cous

3 eggs

3 tablespoons sweetener

2 level tablespoons mincemeat

juice from 1 lemon

Heat the oven to 180

soak the cous cous in boiling water (normally use double the height of cous cous) add the sweetener and lemon juice with the water, stir and wait for it to soak in.

Add the mincemeat

whisk the eggs then add them too and mix well.

Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 mins

The whole cake is only 2 sins on a green day!!!

Pudding Girl
13-05-2008, 06:18 PM

Yummy.

Sue x

these aren't free, they have to be synned as it is a misuse of food ;)