PDA

View Full Version : Dogs or not?

keeks
17-01-2011, 10:36 PM
We live near a beautiful park. It has different areas, wild garden, dog park, tennis courts, bird pond, a stream, picnic and games area, and the play ground. To get to the play ground from my side of the park you need to walk through the dog park. I have only ever seen lovely, happy dogs there, but they are often off their leads on the grass in the middle.

What do you think? Is it too risky to go through that bit with the mindees, should I walk around to avoid the dog part? I would like the mindees to see the dogs, but being very paranoid and in risk assess mode.

xx

SamBaker
18-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I have had dogs all my life and have a JackRussell now, but I think in this day in age you have to be so careful with strange dogs.Most owners are very responsible and have fantastic dogs and then you get the others... need I so more, it's not just the dogs, it's those people who don't clear up after them!!! I do have a couple of mindees that are terrified of dogs even though they see mine every day. If it was me I would go round just to be on the safe side. Maybe if you meet some one you know with a dog the children could say hello that way?

AliceK
18-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I've had dogs all my life but I'm afraid where my own and minded children are concerned I am not happy about just any old dog being off their lead around them. I'm sure the vast majority of dogs have responsible owners but I wouldn't take that risk and would rather walk around this area to get to the area I wanted to visit. It's the same with dogs on leads tied up outside shops I have to teach the children that you don't just approach all dogs because not all dogs are so used to children and might not like it.

xxxx

singingcactus
18-01-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd walk round too. Wouldn't be happy to hear my kids had been walked through the dog yard, although there may be some responsible dog owners around, the majority I have come across are irresponsible and don't care if their dog jumps or scares someone - and that is on the high street, so in a dog specific area there is no way the owners will care about a fears, or jumping etc, or cleaning up.

butterfly
18-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I'd walk round too. My dog is fine with the children but you can't just trust everyone elses. You never know.

julie w
18-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I so wish my local park had an area just for dogs. Last year we had to lock ourselves in the basketball courts when a dog attacked a woman. Then an alsation off the lead jumped on one of my mindees back. They are too scared to go to the park. Most owners dont seem to clean up after their dogs either. I would personally walk around the area as you can never be too sure. I have 2 dogs of my own and I dearly love animals but I think with children you need to be a bit wary.xx.

keeks
18-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks, yes I thought so, just wasn't sure if I was being being overly careful. I went today and walked around according to my risk assessment, but we still saw the dogs from the play ground.

The park we went to last week don't allow dogs, but they have three chickens roaming free in the park! Nearly 3 yo mindee and I watched them for a while. He told me "they give us eggs, and cows give us milk. They are very kind". :D

xx