PDA

View Full Version : TERM TIME ONLY PROBLEM

The Juggler
16-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Have a new mum coming to sign contracts tomorrow. We are starting a t-time only contract for September.

However, she teaches in another borough. I'm giving her retainer free holidays BUT what do I do if her school has separate holidays to ours. I offer t-time only contracts so I have time with my kids in the holidays but this could mean I end up losing that time with my kids if her holidays start a week later than ours.

Do I insist that it has to be the same weeks as my schools, or is that unfair? I'm not happy to off 13 weeks payment free to her if I then end up having to work in the school holidays.

HELP!!!

Pipsqueak
16-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I would say to her that its to your LA's holiday times and state on the contract xxLA.

I think that is fair enough. normally though there is only ever a weeks difference.

loocyloo
16-01-2011, 09:32 PM
i mind a teachers child, and he teaches in a private school. i state in my contract that the termtime only hours relate to our local authorities term dates and charge for all dates within this period regardless of when dad is at school! ( although, child seems to come to me regardless of if dad is at home !! )

The Juggler
16-01-2011, 09:34 PM
thanks Pip, yes that's a good idea. it'll only ever be a few days over the year and sure her dh can have some time off if that's the case.

She can always then choose to bring the baby when I am back working and her school is still off - give her prep time/time to herself - it's not like it will reduce the 39 weeks of care on offer. Just needed to get that straigth in my head:blush:

Ripeberry
16-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I do term-time only, but the next county along (Gloucester) only has a couple of days difference, so it works well.
You just need to let them know that the term-time only applies to YOUR county not theirs.

Are you close to a county border? Mine is only 1 mile away :rolleyes:

littletreasures
16-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I do term-time only contracts, but charge half fee during the holidays.

I would do the contract on your local authority term dates, although even then (as I have found) the school's are still different!!

The school I collect from and one of the parent's schools are usually different by a couple of days. You've also got to think of Inset Days as well.

The Juggler
16-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I do term-time only contracts, but charge half fee during the holidays.

I would do the contract on your local authority term dates, although even then (as I have found) the school's are still different!!

The school I collect from and one of the parent's schools are usually different by a couple of days. You've also got to think of Inset Days as well.

thanks hon. never thought of inset as always count them as term time but if she is back in school/inset when ours are on half term that could be a problem too.

we'll have to compare diaries and plan the year out. Ripeberry the school LA's are London ones so not necessarily huge but usually different dates. They did an extra 2 days before xmas to ours.

If she's stuck for care on those days I might offer to work them but it wil be additional pay?? Do you think that is fair?

gegele
16-01-2011, 11:15 PM
can't you get online and get the calendar of her school and see what match and not. you may only get few days extra or off.

gigglinggoblin
17-01-2011, 10:02 AM
My kids are at different schools and this half term one has 2 weeks hols, 1 only has 1 and at Easter they are only both off together for a total of 5 days (which is over the bank holiday weekend). I would go through the two schools calendars before you sign contracts so you can agree what to do, it might be a few days or it might be a few weeks (and my two schools are in the same town, difference is primary and secondary)

The Juggler
17-01-2011, 01:27 PM
well I am impressed. Mum came today and before I mentioned it said, she's spoken to the nursery (where lo will go the one day/week I can't do) and they will do any of the crossover dates where our terms don't match:D

think she's gonna be a nice mum to work with:thumbsup: