PDA

View Full Version : 2 hours a day minding questions!

lauraatbristol
16-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Hello!
I am currently a childminder working a 50 hour week and have been for the last 15 months.
I have been asked to nanny for a child that I currently look after in the day time. This would be 9am - 3pm. The reason for Nannying is that the Mum works full time and wants the Little One to be able to do activities like swimming, football, gymnastics! Anyway I am going to be paid a very good rate so would be on the same money that I would be getting at the moment. Plus no Ofsted inspections etc etc!
Anyway I really don't want to let my after schoolers down as I do have quite a few and still have the time after 3pm to look after them.
I only have any of them for a maximum of 2 hours, so my question is can I just register on the Voluntary childcare register for these 2 hours?
Also does anyone know what the adult:child ratio is?
And if the little one I am nannying for has to stay late with me for any reason then could he be present when I'm doing the after school sessions. These sessions will be in my own home, and will be study sessions (as many parents moan that the kids don't get time to do homework etc in the evenings!)
I am so so so confused and am wondering if it's easier to leave things as they are, but I am petrified of Ofsted so wondering if they weren't involved if it would be easier!
I got a good rating in my last assessment so not sure why i'm so scared!
Someone please advise me!
Thank you! :)

The Juggler
16-01-2011, 08:51 PM
hon, not sure and think it will entirely depend on the ages of the schoolies.

Also, would the mum of the nannied child be happy with you taking the child to your house and it being shared care for that period?

I would ring ofsted to clarify. how nice to work these hours for the same money! good for you - hope it works out.:clapping: :clapping:

youarewhatyoueat
16-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Keep your childminding registration going at the same time as nannying, I do both, for several reasons but one is its cheaper to be ofsted registered as a childminder, and it only costs an extra £30ish to add nanny insurance to your childminder insurance if you are with ncma. If I do more hours as a nanny I just have to tell ofsted and they inspect me as a nanny as well as a childminder.
If you just want to do after school care then 2 hours is the limit but if you keep your childminding registration live you can still do the occasional longer hours.
I shall be due an Ofsted inspection for both this year and to be honest its not that bad. I don't do learning journeys for the after schoolers, I still do the eyfs for the young ones and keep up to date with all my policies.
You can still do the childminding as self employed and be employed for your nanny position if you are doing regular hours you will have to be, I do adhoc nanny hours so keep it self employed.
Don't give up the childminding registration just yet, you can keep it for a few years without using it with no problems, also as a nanny if you are ofsted registered your employer can pay you with vouchers and save herself some tax.

mufftie
16-01-2011, 09:47 PM
i do nannying aswel for an agency but its only weekends or evenings , and as its agency work all my insurance etc is done through them
id go for it as i love nannying as its a change of scenery to your own house , but at the same time keep up your registration as a minder as you can then jump back into it when the nanny job dries up

suzyblue
17-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Also you may need to go back to childminding once this child starts school. I would definitely keep your childminding registration going. You will get more confident with Ofsted as time goes on so try not to worry about them so much.

Chimps Childminding
17-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Also you may need to go back to childminding once this child starts school. I would definitely keep your childminding registration going. You will get more confident with Ofsted as time goes on so try not to worry about them so much.

Thats just what I was thinking. Once the child goes to school you could carry on with childminding rather than having to start all over again!